From: Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: Brian Inglis via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>,
Subject: Re: setup 2.927 release candidate - please test
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 14:30:55 +0100	[thread overview]

On 16/10/2023 20:19, Brian Inglis via Cygwin wrote:
> On 2023-10-16 09:11, Jon Turney via Cygwin wrote:

>>> The IDC_CHOOSE_SYNC button with German text "Synchronisieren"
>>> overlaps with "Test" checkbox:
>>> "(.) Synchronisier[.] Test"
>>>
>>> Could be fixed by increasing res.rc:SETUP_KPCE_W from 52 to 60 (the
>>> three radio buttons IMO do not look "nice" then),
>>
>> Thanks for pointing this out.
>>
>> Yeah, I agree it's not very pleasing, evenly spreading the radio
>> buttons out horizontally like that.
>>
>> I think maybe this dialog could use a little reworking, as I suspect
>> the original layout was made with the assumption it needs to fit in on
>> a 640x480 VGA display, which is probably no longer valid. :)
>
> Especially on 2K/4K displays, nobody is likely to run anything full
> screen except video players, so ensuring that everything fits in the
> smallest window possible is more user friendly.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten it's initially maximized by default. What I'm
trying to say is that the minimum size can probably be more than
640x480, these days.

Also, we should perhaps draw a grip (keyword: SBS_SIZEGRIP) in the
bottom-right of the dialog to visually indicate that it can be resized.

> Every time I run setup, I have to reset the window size and every column
> width, as it stopped remembering layout a few years ago, possibly after
> a (Windows) disk clone, when I had to reset Cygwin permissions and ACLs!
> Does it still require Admin...+System read/write ACEs to
> /etc/setup/setup.rc?

I don't think we've ever remembered the column widths, although that
would be nice to add.

I don't think any special permissions are required for that file. But
obviously setup needs to be able to write it.

This sounds like messed up permissions. Have you tried moving the
existing file aside?