* setup 2.927 release candidate - please test
@ 2023-10-12 16:35 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-10-12 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

A new setup release candidate is available at:

  https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.927.x86_64.exe (64 bit version)
  https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.927.x86.exe    (32 bit version)

Please test, and report any problems here.

Changes compared to 2.926:

- Added Ctrl+K accelerator for keep or skip in package chooser (thanks
to Christian Franke)

- Fix extracting large files (>2 GiB) from packages (thanks to Achim Gratz)
   Addresses: https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2023-October/254562.html

- Enhance 'quiet' mode to allow window to be input-disabled or hidden

'-q'/'--quiet-mode' now accepts an optional parameter specifying how the
setup wizard behaves: 'unattended' is the existing behaviour, 'noinput'
also disables mouse and keyboard interaction with the wizard, and
'hidden' hides the wizard.

- Translation updates.

- Add German and Polish translations (thanks to weblate contributors
Markus, Ettore Atalan, Luis Mengel and WaldiS)

Some small adjustments have been made to the layout of the dialog
templates to accommodate places where the translation is longer.  Please
report it if there are any spots I've missed where the text overflows
the space available.

Replies to this message are not the place for setup feature requests.

For instructions on obtaining and building the source code for setup,
see https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/setup.html

Please send bug reports, as usual, to the public mailing list cygwin AT
cygwin DOT com.

* Re: setup 2.927 release candidate - please test
@ 2023-10-14 14:04 ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2023-10-14 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jon Turney via Cygwin wrote:

> A new setup release candidate is available at:

> - Translation updates.
>
> - Add German and Polish translations (thanks to weblate contributors
> Markus, Ettore Atalan, Luis Mengel and WaldiS)
>
> Some small adjustments have been made to the layout of the dialog
> templates to accommodate places where the translation is longer.
> Please report it if there are any spots I've missed where the text
> overflows the space available.

The IDC_CHOOSE_SYNC button with German text "Synchronisieren" overlaps
with "Test" checkbox:
"(.) Synchronisier[.] Test"

Could be fixed by increasing res.rc:SETUP_KPCE_W from 52 to 60 (the
three radio buttons IMO do not look "nice" then),

or by an individual adjustment like:
- CONTROL "&Beste",IDC_CHOOSE_BEST,...,SETUP_BEST_X,30,SETUP_KPCE_W,14
- CONTROL
"&Synchronisieren",IDC_CHOOSE_SYNC,...,SETUP_SYNC_X,30,SETUP_KPCE_W,14
+ CONTROL
"&Beste",IDC_CHOOSE_BEST,"Button",...,SETUP_BEST_X,30,SETUP_KPCE_W-10,14
+ CONTROL
"&Synchronisieren",IDC_CHOOSE_SYNC,...,SETUP_SYNC_X-12,30,SETUP_KPCE_W+12,14

or by simply using an abbreviation like "Synchr.".

--
Regards,
Christian

* Re: setup 2.927 release candidate - please test
@ 2023-10-16 15:11   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-10-16 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14/10/2023 15:04, Christian Franke via Cygwin wrote:
> Jon Turney via Cygwin wrote:
>>
>> A new setup release candidate is available at:

>> - Translation updates.
>>
>> - Add German and Polish translations (thanks to weblate contributors
>> Markus, Ettore Atalan, Luis Mengel and WaldiS)
>>
>> Some small adjustments have been made to the layout of the dialog
>> templates to accommodate places where the translation is longer.
>> Please report it if there are any spots I've missed where the text
>> overflows the space available.
>>

> The IDC_CHOOSE_SYNC button with German text "Synchronisieren" overlaps
> with "Test" checkbox:
> "(.) Synchronisier[.] Test"
>
> Could be fixed by increasing res.rc:SETUP_KPCE_W from 52 to 60 (the
> three radio buttons IMO do not look "nice" then),

Thanks for pointing this out.

Yeah, I agree it's not very pleasing, evenly spreading the radio buttons
out horizontally like that.

I think maybe this dialog could use a little reworking, as I suspect the
original layout was made with the assumption it needs to fit in on a
640x480 VGA display, which is probably no longer valid. :)

> or by an individual adjustment like:
> - CONTROL "&Beste",IDC_CHOOSE_BEST,...,SETUP_BEST_X,30,SETUP_KPCE_W,14
> - CONTROL
> "&Synchronisieren",IDC_CHOOSE_SYNC,...,SETUP_SYNC_X,30,SETUP_KPCE_W,14
> + CONTROL
> "&Beste",IDC_CHOOSE_BEST,"Button",...,SETUP_BEST_X,30,SETUP_KPCE_W-10,14
> + CONTROL
> "&Synchronisieren",IDC_CHOOSE_SYNC,...,SETUP_SYNC_X-12,30,SETUP_KPCE_W+12,14
>
> or by simply using an abbreviation like "Synchr.".

Unfortunately, the tool used to merge in updated translations uses the
English dialog layouts as a template, so per-language customizations
like this will be hard to maintain.

* Re: setup 2.927 release candidate - please test
@ 2023-10-16 19:19     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-10-16 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2023-10-16 09:11, Jon Turney via Cygwin wrote:
> On 14/10/2023 15:04, Christian Franke via Cygwin wrote:
>> Jon Turney via Cygwin wrote:
>>>
>>> A new setup release candidate is available at:

>>> - Translation updates.
>>>
>>> - Add German and Polish translations (thanks to weblate contributors Markus,
>>> Ettore Atalan, Luis Mengel and WaldiS)
>>>
>>> Some small adjustments have been made to the layout of the dialog templates
>>> to accommodate places where the translation is longer. Please report it if
>>> there are any spots I've missed where the text overflows the space available.
>>>

>> The IDC_CHOOSE_SYNC button with German text "Synchronisieren" overlaps with
>> "Test" checkbox:
>> "(.) Synchronisier[.] Test"
>>
>> Could be fixed by increasing res.rc:SETUP_KPCE_W from 52 to 60 (the three
>> radio buttons IMO do not look "nice" then),
>
> Thanks for pointing this out.
>
> Yeah, I agree it's not very pleasing, evenly spreading the radio buttons out
> horizontally like that.
>
> I think maybe this dialog could use a little reworking, as I suspect the
> original layout was made with the assumption it needs to fit in on a 640x480 VGA
> display, which is probably no longer valid. :)

Especially on 2K/4K displays, nobody is likely to run anything full screen
except video players, so ensuring that everything fits in the smallest window
possible is more user friendly.
Every time I run setup, I have to reset the window size and every column width,
as it stopped remembering layout a few years ago, possibly after a (Windows)
disk clone, when I had to reset Cygwin permissions and ACLs!
Does it still require Admin...+System read/write ACEs to /etc/setup/setup.rc?

>> or by an individual adjustment like:
>> - CONTROL "&Beste",IDC_CHOOSE_BEST,...,SETUP_BEST_X,30,SETUP_KPCE_W,14
>> - CONTROL "&Synchronisieren",IDC_CHOOSE_SYNC,...,SETUP_SYNC_X,30,SETUP_KPCE_W,14
>> + CONTROL
>> "&Beste",IDC_CHOOSE_BEST,"Button",...,SETUP_BEST_X,30,SETUP_KPCE_W-10,14
>> + CONTROL
>> "&Synchronisieren",IDC_CHOOSE_SYNC,...,SETUP_SYNC_X-12,30,SETUP_KPCE_W+12,14
>>
>> or by simply using an abbreviation like "Synchr.".
>
> Unfortunately, the tool used to merge in updated translations uses the English
> dialog layouts as a template, so per-language customizations like this will be
> hard to maintain.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: setup 2.927 release candidate - please test
@ 2023-10-20 13:30       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-10-20 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16/10/2023 20:19, Brian Inglis via Cygwin wrote:
> On 2023-10-16 09:11, Jon Turney via Cygwin wrote:

>>> The IDC_CHOOSE_SYNC button with German text "Synchronisieren"
>>> overlaps with "Test" checkbox:
>>> "(.) Synchronisier[.] Test"
>>>
>>> Could be fixed by increasing res.rc:SETUP_KPCE_W from 52 to 60 (the
>>> three radio buttons IMO do not look "nice" then),
>>
>> Thanks for pointing this out.
>>
>> Yeah, I agree it's not very pleasing, evenly spreading the radio
>> buttons out horizontally like that.
>>
>> I think maybe this dialog could use a little reworking, as I suspect
>> the original layout was made with the assumption it needs to fit in on
>> a 640x480 VGA display, which is probably no longer valid. :)
>
> Especially on 2K/4K displays, nobody is likely to run anything full
> screen except video players, so ensuring that everything fits in the
> smallest window possible is more user friendly.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten it's initially maximized by default. What I'm
trying to say is that the minimum size can probably be more than
640x480, these days.

Also, we should perhaps draw a grip (keyword: SBS_SIZEGRIP) in the
bottom-right of the dialog to visually indicate that it can be resized.

> Every time I run setup, I have to reset the window size and every column
> width, as it stopped remembering layout a few years ago, possibly after
> a (Windows) disk clone, when I had to reset Cygwin permissions and ACLs!
> Does it still require Admin...+System read/write ACEs to
> /etc/setup/setup.rc?

I don't think we've ever remembered the column widths, although that
would be nice to add.

I don't think any special permissions are required for that file. But
obviously setup needs to be able to write it.

This sounds like messed up permissions. Have you tried moving the
existing file aside?