* Mintty + winpty vs wsltty
@ 2018-04-10 13:04 Michael Slattery
From: Michael Slattery @ 2018-04-10 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This question is about mintty and Windows Subsystem for Linux.  If I have Git-Bash or Cygwin installed, how is this not as good as using wsltty?:

"C:\Program Files\Git\usr\bin\mintty.exe" --exec /usr/bin/winpty "C:\Windows\System32\bash.exe" -c "cd ~; $SHELL --login -i"

It seems fine, but I know that wsltty incorporates wslbridge.  My solution is so simple I feel like something must be wrong :)

* Re: Mintty + winpty vs wsltty
@ 2018-04-10 15:12 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2018-04-10 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-04-10 07:04, Michael Slattery wrote:
> This question is about mintty and Windows Subsystem for Linux.  If I have Git-Bash or Cygwin installed, how is this not as good as using wsltty?:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Git\usr\bin\mintty.exe" --exec /usr/bin/winpty "C:\Windows\System32\bash.exe" -c "cd ~; $SHELL --login -i"
>
> It seems fine, but I know that wsltty incorporates wslbridge.  My solution is so simple I feel like something must be wrong :)

May be more appropriate on https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/ or
https://github.com/rprichard/wslbridge/issues/

* Re: Mintty + winpty vs wsltty
@ 2018-04-10 17:21   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2018-04-10 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 10.04.2018 um 17:12 schrieb Brian Inglis:
> On 2018-04-10 07:04, Michael Slattery wrote:
>> This question is about mintty and Windows Subsystem for Linux.  If I have Git-Bash or Cygwin installed, how is this not as good as using wsltty?:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Git\usr\bin\mintty.exe" --exec /usr/bin/winpty "C:\Windows\System32\bash.exe" -c "cd ~; $SHELL --login -i"
>>
>> It seems fine, but I know that wsltty incorporates wslbridge.  My solution is so simple I feel like something must be wrong :)
> May be more appropriate on https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/ or https://github.com/rprichard/wslbridge/issues/
Yes and no. Actually you can easily access WSL from cygwin mintty, with
command line or session launcher invocation (see manual and wiki for
details), so running from cygwin is the most original and flexible
approach; wsltty has no functional advantage. See also

https://github.com/mintty/wsltty/issues/ for discussing further details.

Thomas