* [ANNOUNCEMENT] texinfo 6.8
@ 2021-07-05 18:04 Ken Brown via Cygwin-announce
From: Ken Brown via Cygwin-announce @ 2021-07-05 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:

* texinfo-6.8-1
* texinfo-tex-6.8-1
* info-6.8-1

Texinfo is a documentation system that uses a single source file to produce
output in a number of formats, both online and printed (dvi, html, info, pdf,
xml, etc.).

This is an update to the latest upstream release.  See

   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2021-07/msg00011.html

for a list of changes since the previous release.

Cygwin packaging
================
The info package contains the standalone info viewer as well as the install-info
program.  The texinfo package contains everything else except support for the
printable output formats (such as pdf).  The texinfo-tex package supplies the
latter.  In particular, /usr/bin/makeinfo is in the texinfo package, but the
command 'makeinfo --pdf' won't work unless you install texinfo-tex.

Ken Brown
Cygwin's texinfo maintainer

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] texinfo 6.8
@ 2021-07-06 11:59 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2021-07-06 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05/07/2021 19:04, Ken Brown via Cygwin-announce via Cygwin wrote:
> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>
> * texinfo-6.8-1
> * texinfo-tex-6.8-1
> * info-6.8-1
>
> Texinfo is a documentation system that uses a single source file to
> produce output in a number of formats, both online and printed (dvi,
> html, info, pdf, xml, etc.).
>
> This is an update to the latest upstream release.  See

Hi Ken,

Thanks for this update.

This seems to break building the cygwin documentation:

 > [...]
> docbook2x-texi --xinclude --info --utf8trans-map=charmap ../../../../src/winsup/doc/cygwin-api.xml --string-param output-file=cygwin-api
> could not find ParserDetails.ini in /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.32/XML/SAX
> could not open -: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/db2x_texixml: program in pipeline exited with an error
> make: *** [Makefile:729: cygwin-api.info] Error 1

Poking around a bit, under the hood this is invoking makeinfo, and it
seems that can't read from a pipeline anymore:

> $ echo foo | makeinfo
> could not open -: No such file or directory

Downgrading to 6.7, I can build again, and:

> $ echo foo | makeinfo
> -: warning: document without nodes

Is this an intentional upstream change?

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] texinfo 6.8
@ 2021-07-06 16:32   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2021-07-06 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/6/2021 7:59 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 05/07/2021 19:04, Ken Brown via Cygwin-announce via Cygwin wrote:
>> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>>
>> * texinfo-6.8-1
>> * texinfo-tex-6.8-1
>> * info-6.8-1
>>
>> Texinfo is a documentation system that uses a single source file to produce
>> output in a number of formats, both online and printed (dvi, html, info, pdf,
>> xml, etc.).
>>
>> This is an update to the latest upstream release.  See
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> Thanks for this update.
>
> This seems to break building the cygwin documentation:
>
>  > [...]
>> docbook2x-texi --xinclude --info --utf8trans-map=charmap
>> ../../../../src/winsup/doc/cygwin-api.xml --string-param output-file=cygwin-api
>> could not find ParserDetails.ini in /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.32/XML/SAX
>> could not open -: No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/db2x_texixml: program in pipeline exited with an error
>> make: *** [Makefile:729: cygwin-api.info] Error 1
>
> Poking around a bit, under the hood this is invoking makeinfo, and it seems that
> can't read from a pipeline anymore:
>
>> $ echo foo | makeinfo
>> could not open -: No such file or directory
>
> Downgrading to 6.7, I can build again, and:
>
>> $ echo foo | makeinfo
>> -: warning: document without nodes
>
> Is this an intentional upstream change?

No.

I've applied the upstream fix and am waiting for scallywag to build and deploy
texinfo-6.8-2.  (It seems to be taking forever.)

My local test indicates that this fixes the problem, but I'd appreciate it if
you would confirm that before I "untest" the new release.

Thanks.

Ken

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] texinfo 6.8
@ 2021-07-06 18:20     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2021-07-06 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/07/2021 17:32, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
> On 7/6/2021 7:59 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
>> On 05/07/2021 19:04, Ken Brown via Cygwin-announce via Cygwin wrote:
>>> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>>>
>>> * texinfo-6.8-1
>>> * texinfo-tex-6.8-1
>>> * info-6.8-1
>>>
>>> Texinfo is a documentation system that uses a single source file to
>>> produce output in a number of formats, both online and printed (dvi,
>>> html, info, pdf, xml, etc.).
>>>
>>> This is an update to the latest upstream release.  See
>>
>> Hi Ken,
>>
>> Thanks for this update.
>>
>> This seems to break building the cygwin documentation:
>>
>>  > [...]
>>> docbook2x-texi --xinclude --info --utf8trans-map=charmap
>>> ../../../../src/winsup/doc/cygwin-api.xml --string-param
>>> output-file=cygwin-api
>>> could not find ParserDetails.ini in
>>> /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.32/XML/SAX
>>> could not open -: No such file or directory
>>> /usr/bin/db2x_texixml: program in pipeline exited with an error
>>> make: *** [Makefile:729: cygwin-api.info] Error 1
>>
>> Poking around a bit, under the hood this is invoking makeinfo, and it
>> seems that can't read from a pipeline anymore:
>>
>>> $ echo foo | makeinfo
>>> could not open -: No such file or directory
>>
>> Downgrading to 6.7, I can build again, and:
>>
>>> $ echo foo | makeinfo
>>> -: warning: document without nodes
>>
>> Is this an intentional upstream change?
>
> No.
>
> I've applied the upstream fix and am waiting for scallywag to build and
> deploy texinfo-6.8-2.  (It seems to be taking forever.)

It seems that something went wrong when processing the build complete
notification, which I need to look into...

> My local test indicates that this fixes the problem, but I'd appreciate
> it if you would confirm that before I "untest" the new release.

Yup, that fixes it.  Thanks!