* [grep] regression: Windows version grep not search two non ASCII words separated by space
@ 2017-01-31 13:09 Михаил Гаврилов
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Михаил Гаврилов @ 2017-01-31 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Windows version grep not search two non ASCII words separated by space
More details described here: https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/1366
Last workable version is 2.24

--
Best Regards,
Mike Gavrilov.

* Re: [grep] regression: Windows version grep not search two non ASCII words separated by space
@ 2017-01-31 14:18 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-01-31 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 31/01/2017 14:08, Михаил Гаврилов wrote:
> Windows version grep not search two non ASCII words separated by space
> More details described here: https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/1366
> Last workable version is 2.24

works for me

$ echo "Без названия" > example2.txt

$ grep  "Без названия"  example2.txt
Без названия

$ set |grep LANG
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

so may be you need to clarify your test case ?
Link to other project issues are not appreciated as only reference.

Regards
Marco

* Re: [grep] regression: Windows version grep not search two non ASCII words separated by space
@ 2017-01-31 16:27 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2017-01-31 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 01/31/2017 07:08 AM, Михаил Гаврилов wrote:
> Windows version grep not search two non ASCII words separated by space
> More details described here: https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/1366
> Last workable version is 2.24

I was about to say "please paste 'grep --version' so that I can tell if
you are using the Cygwin version", except that I realized that I forgot
to tweak my grep.cygport to actually modify the --version output.  A new
Cygwin build of grep will be landing shortly as a result :)

However, I suspect that the OP's problem is that they are not using
Cygwin grep, and therefore this bug report is irrelevant to this list
(and should be reported to wherever they got the binary, instead), even
if it did spur me to improve the relevant build.

* Re: [grep] regression: Windows version grep not search two non ASCII words separated by space
@ 2017-01-31 17:12 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-01-31 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-01-31 06:08, Михаил Гаврилов wrote:
> Windows version grep not search two non ASCII words separated by space
> More details described here: https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/1366
> Last workable version is 2.24

WJFFM with your name (above) on current Cygwin, mintty, bash, grep (below).
A number of UTF-8 updates have been made recently to Cygwin and utilities.
Your grep version looks old - try upgrading your whole installation.
Are you having a problem under cmd or other shell?
Which shell and release?

$ uname -srvmo; mintty --version; bash --version; grep --version
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 2.6.1(0.305/5/3) 2016-12-16 11:55 x86_64 Cygwin
mintty 2.7.4 (x86_64-pc-cygwin)
© (C) 2013/2016 Andy Koppe / Thomas Wolff
There is no warranty, to the extent permitted by law.

GNU bash, version 4.4.12(3)-release (x86_64-unknown-cygwin)

This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.
grep (GNU grep) 2.27
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Written by Mike Haertel and others, see <http://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/grep.git/tree/AUTHORS>.
$ echo "Михаил Гаврилов" > t
$ for cmd in fgrep grep egrep
do
  $cmd --version
  echo "Михаил Гаврилов" | $cmd "Михаил Гаврилов"
  $cmd "Михаил Гаврилов" t
done
Михаил Гаврилов
Михаил Гаврилов