* requestedExecutionLevel "asInvoker" is ignored for setup-x86_64.exe
@ 2021-08-31 15:38 ilya Basin
From: ilya Basin @ 2021-08-31 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi.
I noticed that despite having:

    <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker"            uiAccess="false"/>

in setup-x86_64.exe the UAC prompt is not bypassed and when I click Cancel the program is not started.

Previously I used the same binary to install Cygwin for "Just me" on a host where regular users are simply not allowed to trigger a UAC prompt.

I have downloaded some other software installers and they work as intended:

    cf7_installer.exe
    Git-2.33.0-64-bit.exe
    pgadmin4-5.6-x64.exe

The following env var also failed:

    set __COMPAT_LAYER=RunAsInvoker

Then I tried to un-UPX and remove the manifest with ResHacker and I also renamed "setup-x86_64.exe" to "putes-x86_64.exe" because I heard that UAC looks for keyword in .exe name without a manifest, but the resulting binary still triggers the UAC.

Reproducible on:
Windows 10 20-H2 build 19042.746
Windows 7 sp1 buld 7601

* Re: requestedExecutionLevel "asInvoker" is ignored for setup-x86_64.exe
@ 2021-08-31 15:57 ` Ilya Basin
From: Ilya Basin @ 2021-08-31 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Never mind. Just found in the FAQ that the installer tries to spawn an elevated child instead of using the manifest. So in "setup-x86_64.exe -B" the "-B" switch does the trick.