* "This app can't run on your PC"
@ 2023-11-13  7:16 Mustafa Awni
From: Mustafa Awni @ 2023-11-13  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Hi Cygwin team,

Hope you're doing well! I am a developer and I'm having issues with the setup-x86_64.exe. I've tried running it with every compatibility mode, I've worked with my company's IT, but nothing has worked and my IT team said the only option left is to go to the source. I am running Windows 10 Enterprise, 64-bit operating system. The reason I want to update Cygwin, is because when I run Cntlm (the proxy), it provides the error about 'find_fast_cwd'. As said on the Cygwin website, this can be solved by updating. But when I download the .exe from the website, and I run the .exe (no matter as admin or not, compatibility mode or not), I get a Windows pop up that says "This app can't run on your PC". Are there any ideas you guys may have on how to get past this? Feeling hopeless and couldn't find anything online :(. Worth noting that my company's IT team has played around with the firewall and it changed nothing.

Hope to hear back soon! Happy to provide more details if necessary as well.

Sincerely,

Mustafa

************** IMPORTANT MESSAGE **************
This e-mail message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information which may be confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender by return email, do not use or disclose the contents, and delete the message and any attachments from your system. Unless specifically indicated, this email does not constitute formal advice or commitment by the sender or the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL and Australian credit licence 234945) or its subsidiaries.
We can be contacted through our web site: commbank.com.au. If you no longer wish to receive commercial electronic messages from us, please reply to this e-mail by typing Opt Out in the subject line.

* Re: "This app can't run on your PC"
@ 2023-11-13  7:19 ` cygwinautoreply
From: cygwinautoreply @ 2023-11-13  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mustafa.Awni; +Cc: cygwin

>Hi Cygwin team,

>Hope you're doing well! I am a developer and I'm having issues with the setup-x86_64.exe. I've tried running it with every compatibility mode, I've worked with my company's IT, but nothing has worked and my IT team said the only option left is to go to the source. I am running Windows 10 Enterprise, 64-bit operating system. The reason I want to update Cygwin, is because when I run Cntlm (the proxy), it provides the error about 'find_fast_cwd'. As said on the Cygwin website, this can be solved by updating. But when I download the .exe from the website, and I run the .exe (no matter as admin or not, compatibility mode or not), I get a Windows pop up that says "This app can't run on your PC". Are there any ideas you guys may have on how to get past this? Feeling hopeless and couldn't find anything online :(. Worth noting that my company's IT team has played around with the firewall and it changed nothing.

>Hope to hear back soon! Happy to provide more details if necessary as well.

>Sincerely,

>Mustafa

>************** IMPORTANT MESSAGE **************
>This e-mail message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information which may be confidential.
>If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender by return email, do not use or disclose the contents, and delete the message and any attachments from your system. Unless specifically indicated, this email does not constitute formal advice or commitment by the sender or the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL and Australian credit licence 234945) or its subsidiaries.
>We can be contacted through our web site: commbank.com.au. If you no longer wish to receive commercial electronic messages from us, please reply to this e-mail by typing Opt Out in the subject line.

https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-find_fast_cwd-warnings

* RE: "This app can't run on your PC"
@ 2023-11-13  7:25 ` KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS)
From: KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS) @ 2023-11-13  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

That's weird. Have you also checked the checksum of the binary and it is the same? Is it blocked by any other antivirus?

Regards,
Panos

* Re: "This app can't run on your PC"
@ 2023-11-17 12:42   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-11-17 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13/11/2023 07:25, KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS) via Cygwin wrote:
> [...]

Yeah, this is odd.

If the download isn't corrupt (i.e. the sha512 checksum matches that
published), then we don't know why Windows should give this error message.

On the off-chance that it's the UPX compression which is causing this
(as it occasionally seems to cause problems with some AV software), I've
adjusted the build process (as I've been meaning to do for a while) so
that the uncompressed executable is also uploaded.

You might like to try to see if the that helps with the latest build,
which is at:

https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.928-uncompressed.x86_64.exe