* mintty will not accept the letter "e"
@ 2020-08-29 22:42 Ken Reek
From: Ken Reek @ 2020-08-29 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi, all.

All of the sudden, mintty won't accept a lower case "e" -- it just dings
when I try to type one. Upper case "E" is fine, as are all the other
letters. I'm no mintty expert, but I think the e key might have been
remapped somehow.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? I've killed mintty and started it again,
and also rebooted my machine, to no avail. I'm on Windows 10. Thanks for any
help!

- Ken

* Re: mintty will not accept the letter "e"
@ 2020-08-29 23:03 ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2020-08-29 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 30.08.2020 um 00:42 schrieb Ken Reek via Cygwin:
> Hi, all.
>
> All of the sudden, mintty won't accept a lower case "e" -- it just dings
> when I try to type one. Upper case "E" is fine, as are all the other
> letters. I'm no mintty expert, but I think the e key might have been
> remapped somehow.
>
> Any ideas on how I can fix this? I've killed mintty and started it again,
> and also rebooted my machine, to no avail. I'm on Windows 10. Thanks for any
> help!
What a strange report - there is no way mintty could be causing such an
effect. Maybe you've somehow changed your keyboard mapping? What about
other letters? Other applications? Windows cmd console?

* Re: mintty will not accept the letter "e"
@ 2020-08-30  1:09   ` Ken Reek
From: Ken Reek @ 2020-08-30  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Wolff; +Cc: cygwin

Other apps are fine (like notepad) and I have swapped keyboards with no improvement. Bizarre! I forgot to mention that it won’t take an “e” even in a paste operation.

- Ken

@ 2020-08-30  1:14     ` Yasuhiro KIMURA
From: Yasuhiro KIMURA @ 2020-08-30  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Ken Reek via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: mintty will not accept the letter "e"
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 19:09:03 -0600

> Other apps are fine (like notepad) and I have swapped keyboards with no improvement. Bizarre! I forgot to mention that it won’t take an “e” even in a paste operation.

Let me confirm just in case. Does it still happen even if you close
and restart mintty? What happens if you restart Windows?

---
Yasuhiro KIMURA

* Re: mintty will not accept the letter "e"
@ 2020-08-30  2:14       ` Ken Reek
From: Ken Reek @ 2020-08-30  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasuhiro KIMURA; +Cc: cygwin

Have done both of those — no change.

@ 2020-08-30  5:18         ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2020-08-30  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 30.08.2020 um 04:14 schrieb Ken Reek via Cygwin:
> Have done both of those — no change.
>
>> On Aug 29, 2020, at 7:15 PM, Yasuhiro KIMURA <yasu@utahime.org> wrote:
>>
>> From: Ken Reek via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
>> Subject: Re: mintty will not accept the letter "e"
>> Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 19:09:03 -0600
>>
>>> Other apps are fine (like notepad) and I have swapped keyboards with no improvement. Bizarre! I forgot to mention that it won’t take an “e” even in a paste operation.
>> Let me confirm just in case. Does it still happen even if you close
>> and restart mintty? What happens if you restart Windows?
Maybe some virus captured your mintty.exe? What's `ls -l /bin/mintty;
sum /bin/mintty`? What if you reinstall it?

* Re: mintty will not accept the letter "e"
@ 2020-08-30  8:47 ` Vlado
From: Vlado @ 2020-08-30  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 30.8.2020 0:42, Ken Reek via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> All of the sudden, mintty won't accept a lower case "e" -- it just dings
> when I try to type one. Upper case "E" is fine, as are all the other
> letters. I'm no mintty expert, but I think the e key might have been
> remapped somehow.
>
> Any ideas on how I can fix this? I've killed mintty and started it again,
> and also rebooted my machine, to no avail. I'm on Windows 10. Thanks for any
> help!
>
> - Ken
>
> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
> .
Hi.

Just curious: Please do
- in Notepad.exe write text: echo 'Hello'
- copy-paste it into mintty (in mintty You probably see: cho 'Hllo')
- press Enter
What You see next?

Vlado

* RE: mintty will not accept the letter "e"
@ 2020-08-30 13:02   ` Ken Reek
From: Ken Reek @ 2020-08-30 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Found the problem! One of the FAQs instructed me to add the command

set completion-ignore-case on

to the .inputrc file. Seeing a "set" command I thought this file was similar
to .bashrc so I added the command

echo .inputrc

to the file (so I could be sure it was being read). After reading the bash
manual while awake at 2 this morning I found that the Readline syntax is
quite different.  I think this command was being mis-parsed as a key
binding.

Removing the offending line fixed the problem. Thanks to all who responded
with suggestions.

- Ken