* uniq not working
@ 2016-10-11 10:56 Felipe Vieira
From: Felipe Vieira @ 2016-10-11 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear mailing list,

the uniq program seems to be faulty on my cygwin:

/tmp » cat u.txt
1
2
3
4
5
1
2
3
6
7
8

/tmp » uniq -c u.txt
      1 1
      1 2
      1 3
      1 4
      1 5
      1 1
      1 2
      1 3
      1 6
      1 7
      1 8
      1
/tmp »

As you can see it does not eliminate duplicate lines.
This file was created with vim. Same results if created with windows notepad.
What am I missing?

Best,

* Re: uniq not working
@ 2016-10-11 10:58 ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2016-10-11 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin list

Hi Felipe,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:43 PM, Felipe Vieira  wrote:
> Dear mailing list,
>
> the uniq program seems to be faulty on my cygwin:
>
> /tmp » cat u.txt
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 4
> 5
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 6
> 7
> 8
>

> /tmp » uniq -c u.txt
>       1 1
>       1 2
>       1 3
>       1 4
>       1 5
>       1 1
>       1 2
>       1 3
>       1 6
>       1 7
>       1 8
>       1
> /tmp »
>
> As you can see it does not eliminate duplicate lines.
> This file was created with vim. Same results if created with windows notepad.
> What am I missing?

You are missing an important step: reading the manual.

$ man uniq
UNIQ(1)
                         User Commands
                                                        UNIQ(1)

NAME
       uniq - report or omit repeated lines

SYNOPSIS
       uniq [OPTION]... [INPUT [OUTPUT]]

DESCRIPTION
       Filter adjacent matching lines from INPUT (or standard input),
writing to OUTPUT (or standard output).
               ^^^^^^^^^

uniq collapses identical lines only if they are consecutive.
The typical way to ensure this is to sort the file first.

$ sort c.txt | uniq

Csaba

* Re: uniq not working
@ 2016-10-11 12:54 ` Markus Schönhaber
From: Markus Schönhaber @ 2016-10-11 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 11.10.2016 um 12:43 schrieb Felipe Vieira:

> the uniq program seems to be faulty on my cygwin:

[...]
> /tmp » uniq -c u.txt
>       1 1
>       1 2
>       1 3
>       1 4
>       1 5
>       1 1
>       1 2
>       1 3
>       1 6
>       1 7
>       1 8
>       1
> /tmp »
>
> As you can see it does not eliminate duplicate lines.
> This file was created with vim. Same results if created with windows notepad.
> What am I missing?

From man uniq:

--
Regards
  mks

* Re: uniq not working
@ 2016-10-11 14:20   ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2016-10-11 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

You may find the following bash function useful:

sus ()
{
    sort "$@" | uniq -c | sort -k1nr,1
}

With you data:

> sus u.txt

      2 1
      2 2
      2 3
      1 4
      1 5
      1 6
      1 7
      1 8

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk

* Re: uniq not working
@ 2016-10-11 14:33     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2016-10-11 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry S. Thompson, cygwin

Greetings, Henry S. Thompson!

> You may find the following bash function useful:

> sus ()
> {
>     sort "$@" | uniq -c | sort -k1nr,1
> }

Why not sort -u ?

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: uniq not working
@ 2016-10-11 16:02       ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2016-10-11 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin writes:

> Greetings, Henry S. Thompson!
>
>> You may find the following bash function useful:
>
>> sus ()
>> {
>>     sort "$@" | uniq -c | sort -k1nr,1
>> }
>
> Why not sort -u ?

Because then all the counts will be 1.

@ 2016-10-13 16:58 Felipe Vieira
From: Felipe Vieira @ 2016-10-13 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 7:43 AM, Felipe Vieira <fmv1992@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear mailing list,
>
> the uniq program seems to be faulty on my cygwin:
>
> /tmp » cat u.txt
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 4
> 5
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 6
> 7
> 8
>

> /tmp » uniq -c u.txt
>       1 1
>       1 2
>       1 3
>       1 4
>       1 5
>       1 1
>       1 2
>       1 3
>       1 6
>       1 7
>       1 8
>       1
> /tmp »
>
> As you can see it does not eliminate duplicate lines.
> This file was created with vim. Same results if created with windows notepad.
> What am I missing?
>
> Best,

Thanks Csaba.

I have read the manual but did not understand it completely; missed
one word (adjacent) and that changed everything.

Best regards : )