* Re: cygwin coreutils 9.4 install.exe issue
       [not found] <CAE6_+UdhYBWetnT1hFNSSeWzWO9Q6TdaMx830CthQfoGf851zg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2023-09-22 18:47 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-09-22 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Christoph Reiter

On 2023-09-22 07:07, Christoph Reiter wrote:
> it did a quick test of the coreutils rebase here
> https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/coreutils/log/?h=playground
> and noticed that "install" has a regression, in that "install <file>
> <destdir>" fails in case the target filename already exits.
>
> I did a bit of debugging and it seems the two `cygwin_spelling
> (drelname)` in copy.c are at fault. coreutils switched to destination
> relative paths there, but cygwin_spelling() doesn't deal with them,
> returning an error.
>
> Maybe this information is useful to you in some way.
>
> regards & thanks for your work

[Please do not DM developers or maintainers directly, email the list Chris!]

Thanks for the hints, but I believe I have handled all of those with updated
patches, and coreutils 9.1..9.4 still miss handling existing files, fail on all
copy operations over existing files, and I have been unable to track down how
and where it is now missing gathering or handling that information.

It is likely it could be some difference between Cygwin winsup libc and glibc
file operations, some other location(s) may need cygwin_spelling() added, or
some other Cygwin feature is interfering with expected operation.

When I have some time, I will have another review of the copy code, for possible
Cygwin additions or changes needed, then see what strace and gdb can show me.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-09-22 18:47 UTC | newest]