* Request: Singular 4.2.1p2, FLINT 2.8.4, Arb 2.21.1, pdf2svg 0.2.3
@ 2021-11-28 12:45 Samuel Lelièvre
From: Samuel Lelièvre @ 2021-11-28 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Cygwin package maintainers,

This is to kindly request upgrading two existing
packages for mathematical software (Singular and
FLINT), and creating packages for two other pieces
of software, one mathematical library for arbitrary
precision real and complex floating point
calculations based on ball arithmetic (Arb),
and one graphics utility for converting between
graphical file formats, from pdf to svg (pdf2svg).

My wishlist as a list with extra links:

- upgrade "singular" package to Singular 4.2.1p2

  https://www.singular.uni-kl.de/
  https://github.com/Singular/Singular
  https://github.com/Singular/Singular/tags
  https://repology.org/project/singular/versions

- upgrade "flint" package to FLINT 2.8.4

  http://flintlib.org/
  https://github.com/wbhart/flint2
  https://github.com/wbhart/flint2/tags
  https://repology.org/project/flint/versions

- package Arb 2.21.1

  https://arblib.org/
  https://github.com/fredrik-johansson/arb
  https://github.com/fredrik-johansson/arb/tags
  https://repology.org/project/arb-fp/versions

- package pdf2svg 0.2.3

  http://cityinthesky.co.uk/opensource/pdf2svg/
  https://github.com/dawbarton/pdf2svg
  https://github.com/dawbarton/pdf2svg/releases
  https://github.com/dawbarton/pdf2svg/tags
  https://repology.org/project/pdf2svg/versions

Or if someone can teach me how to do that,
I would be happy to learn in order to be able
to contribute in the future. In particular there
are a number of other pieces of mathematical
software I would like to help package.

Thanks for all the packaging effort.   --Samuel

* Re: Request: Singular 4.2.1p2, FLINT 2.8.4, Arb 2.21.1, pdf2svg 0.2.3
@ 2021-11-28 14:06 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-11-28 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 28.11.2021 13:45, Samuel Lelièvre via Cygwin wrote:
> Dear Cygwin package maintainers,

Hi Samuel,

> This is to kindly request upgrading two existing
> packages for mathematical software (Singular and
> FLINT), and creating packages for two other pieces
> of software, one mathematical library for arbitrary
> precision real and complex floating point
> calculations based on ball arithmetic (Arb),
> and one graphics utility for converting between
> graphical file formats, from pdf to svg (pdf2svg).
>
> My wishlist as a list with extra links:
>
> - upgrade "singular" package to Singular 4.2.1p2
>
> - upgrade "flint" package to FLINT 2.8.4

Flint build for 64bit on the way.
It seems there is an API bump from 15 to 16

> - package Arb 2.21.1
>
> - package pdf2svg 0.2.3

These are new, so you can propose it

start reading from:
https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html

and we can follow up on cywin-apps mailing list

> Or if someone can teach me how to do that,
> I would be happy to learn in order to be able
> to contribute in the future. In particular there
> are a number of other pieces of mathematical
> software I would like to help package.

This is very appreciated. I can help you on that.

I never used Singular so my interest to update it was always
very limited;
last time it was mean Yue Ren to take care and I to just help him

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2015-May/006150.html

but he never followed up on following releases.

About Singular last package build, the main issue in my opinion
is that the dynamic loading of "module" was transformed by Yue in a
static implementation.
I was trying to enable the dynamic loading but he preferred to
go for the current solution.
So I suspect the old patches could need an adjustment for the latest
4.2.1p2 source code.

 > Thanks for all the packaging effort.   --Samuel

If you are really interested on taking over Singular maintainership
we can follow up by private mail.

Regards
Marco

* Re: Request: pdf2svg 0.2.3
@ 2021-11-28 18:16 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-11-28 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-11-28 05:45, Samuel Lelièvre via Cygwin wrote:
> This is to kindly request upgrading two existing
> packages for mathematical software (Singular and
> FLINT), and creating packages for two other pieces
> of software, one mathematical library for arbitrary
> precision real and complex floating point
> calculations based on ball arithmetic (Arb),
> and one graphics utility for converting between
> graphical file formats, from pdf to svg (pdf2svg).

> - package pdf2svg 0.2.3
>
>    http://cityinthesky.co.uk/opensource/pdf2svg/
>    https://github.com/dawbarton/pdf2svg
>    https://github.com/dawbarton/pdf2svg/releases
>    https://github.com/dawbarton/pdf2svg/tags
>    https://repology.org/project/pdf2svg/versions

The pdf2svg home page recommends instead pdftocairo from the poppler
package, which does the same and is maintained as part of the package,
rather than being a standalone utility which integrates the two, and is
not as well maintained:

$ pdftocairo --help
pdftocairo version 21.01.0
Copyright 2005-2021 The Poppler Developers - http://poppler.freedesktop.org
Copyright 1996-2011 Glyph & Cog, LLC
Usage: pdftocairo [options] <PDF-file> [<output-file>]
   -png                     : generate a PNG file
   -jpeg                    : generate a JPEG file
   -jpegopt <string>        : jpeg options, with format
<opt1>=<val1>[,<optN>=<valN>]*
   -tiff                    : generate a TIFF file
   -tiffcompression <string>: set TIFF compression: none, packbits,
jpeg, lzw, deflate
   -ps                      : generate PostScript file
   -eps                     : generate Encapsulated PostScript (EPS)
   -pdf                     : generate a PDF file
   -svg                     : generate a Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file
   -f <int>                 : first page to print
   -l <int>                 : last page to print
   -o                       : print only odd pages
   -e                       : print only even pages
   -singlefile              : write only the first page and do not add
digits
   -r <fp>                  : resolution, in PPI (default is 150)
   -rx <fp>                 : X resolution, in PPI (default is 150)
   -ry <fp>                 : Y resolution, in PPI (default is 150)
   -scale-to <int>          : scales each page to fit within
scale-to*scale-to pixel box
   -scale-to-x <int>        : scales each page horizontally to fit in
scale-to-x pixels
   -scale-to-y <int>        : scales each page vertically to fit in
scale-to-y pixels
   -x <int>                 : x-coordinate of the crop area top left corner
   -y <int>                 : y-coordinate of the crop area top left corner
   -W <int>                 : width of crop area in pixels (default is 0)
   -H <int>                 : height of crop area in pixels (default is 0)
   -sz <int>                : size of crop square in pixels (sets W and H)
   -cropbox                 : use the crop box rather than media box
   -mono                    : generate a monochrome image file (PNG, JPEG)
   -gray                    : generate a grayscale image file (PNG, JPEG)
   -transp                  : use a transparent background instead of
white (PNG)
   -antialias <string>      : set cairo antialias option
   -icc <string>            : ICC color profile to use
   -level2                  : generate Level 2 PostScript (PS, EPS)
   -level3                  : generate Level 3 PostScript (PS, EPS)
   -origpagesizes           : conserve original page sizes (PS, PDF, SVG)
   -paper <string>          : paper size (letter, legal, A4, A3, match)
   -paperw <int>            : paper width, in points
   -paperh <int>            : paper height, in points
   -nocrop                  : don't crop pages to CropBox
   -expand                  : expand pages smaller than the paper size
   -noshrink                : don't shrink pages larger than the paper size
   -nocenter                : don't center pages smaller than the paper size
   -duplex                  : enable duplex printing
   -opw <string>            : owner password (for encrypted files)
   -upw <string>            : user password (for encrypted files)
   -q                       : don't print any messages or errors
   -v                       : print copyright and version info
   -h                       : print usage information
   -help                    : print usage information
   --help                   : print usage information
   -?                       : print usage information