* Commands not working as expected.
@ 2016-09-11 23:03 Brian S. Wilson
From: Brian S. Wilson @ 2016-09-11 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I updated my Cygwin instance to day and ran the date command.  For some
reason it spit out only the UTC time, not the EST time and date
information I was expecting.  When I ran the "man date" command to see
if anything had changed in the usage, I got the following error messages.

I tried to update Cygwin again; but got the same results.

$ man date
      1 [main] man 7788 child_info_fork::abort: C:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll:
Loaded to different address: parent(0x1E0000) != child(0xB70000)
man: fork failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

$ man man
      1 [main] man 5524 child_info_fork::abort: C:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll:
Loaded to different address: parent(0x150000) != child(0xB70000)
man: fork failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

Sincerely,

--
Sincerely,

Brian S. Wilson

* Re: Commands not working as expected.
@ 2016-09-12  4:20 ` Brian Inglis
       [not found]   ` <20e725bb-ef37-0da6-475c-6f0d8a5edd7e@bellsouth.net>
From: Brian Inglis @ 2016-09-12  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2016-09-11 17:03, Brian S. Wilson wrote:
> I updated my Cygwin instance to day and ran the date command.  For some
> reason it spit out only the UTC time, not the EST time and date
> information I was expecting.  When I ran the "man date" command to see
> if anything had changed in the usage, I got the following error messages.
>
> I tried to update Cygwin again; but got the same results.
>
> $ man date
>       1 [main] man 7788 child_info_fork::abort: C:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll:
> Loaded to different address: parent(0x1E0000) != child(0xB70000)
> man: fork failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> $ man man
>       1 [main] man 5524 child_info_fork::abort: C:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll:
> Loaded to different address: parent(0x150000) != child(0xB70000)
> man: fork failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

You can try running setup, without selecting any packages, to clean up anything
left unfinished from the last install, reboot, run setup again with nothing
selected, then run mandb under Cygwin to rebuild man db tables.

When posting, please at least run uname and post output to show
OS and Cygwin platform e.g.:

$ uname -srvmo
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 2.6.0(0.304/5/3) 2016-08-31 14:32 x86_64 Cygwin

$ uname -srvmo
CYGWIN_NT-10.0-WOW 2.6.0(0.304/5/3) 2016-08-31 14:27 i686 Cygwin

Check that setup installs completed properly with:

$ ls /bin/*.new
ls: cannot access '/bin/*.new': No such file or directory

Check that all setup postinstall scripts completed properly with:

$ ls /etc/postinstall/[!0z]*.*sh
ls: cannot access '/etc/postinstall/[!0z]*.*sh': No such file or directory

Check the results of your last setup in /var/log/setup.log.full and for
issues in previous recent setups towards the end of /var/log/setup.log.

If you're running Cygwin 32 bit (-WOW...i686), you probably ran out of Cygwin
address space for rebasing dlls - this may be indicated by the problem with
cygz.dll.
If you have rebase problems in 32 bit, you can either deinstall some packages,
or if you run Windows 64 bit, install a Cygwin 64 bit setup and select the same
packages.

Please see adjacent FAQ entries 4.44 https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.bloda
and 4.45 https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures

If you still have a problem, please follow the problem reporting guidelines
linked below and attach cygcheck output to your reply.

@ 2016-09-14 16:04     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2016-09-14 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2016-09-13 05:33, Brian S. Wilson wrote:
> On 09/12/2016 00:20 AM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2016-09-11 17:03, Brian S. Wilson wrote:  ls -l
> I am using a McAfee Security Center and I disabled the firewall and
> Virus and Spyware scans; but this didn't help.  I've not had a problem
> with McAfee previously and I must have some kind of firewall available
> so I haven't uninstalled McAfee (as of yet).

Had problems with various (non- and Cygwin) packages under McAfee on
Windows 7, so as prep for Windows 10 upgrade, deinstalled McAfee
(and installed MS Security Essentials AV temporarily), and now running
only Windows 10 Defender (which includes AV formerly in MS SE) and Firewall.
Recommend deinstalling McAfee, installing and enabling Defender and Firewall.

> $ export CYGWIN=detect_bloda
>
> $ echo $CYGWIN
> detect_bloda
>
> $ man man
>       2 [main] man 4928 child_info_fork::abort: C:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll:
> Loaded to different address: parent(0x150000) != child(0x660000)
> man: fork failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

This looks very like you may have run out of Cygwin dll 32 bit address space.

Have you checked FAQ 4.45 docs /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/_autorebase.README and
/usr/share/doc/rebase/README?

Read this recent thread to the end:

Have you tried FAQ 4.45 run: "rebase-trigger fullrebase" as *admin*, shut down
all Cygwin processes, reboot in case AV has Cygwin dlls open, run setup without
any other apps running, reboot to clear cached dlls, start and test Cygwin?