* TLS version problem downloading mirrors.lst?
@ 2021-02-06  1:00 Brad Wetmore
From: Brad Wetmore @ 2021-02-06  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I am trying to install a new instance of cygwin on Windows 2016 Server MSDN instance and am having problems downloading the mirrors list:

    2021/02/05 14:21:39 connection error: 12029 fetching https://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst

Using Wireshark and configuration options in Firefox, the root cause appears to be that the setup-x86_64.exe is trying to use TLSv1.0 and SSLv3 to download this file, but the download is failing as the response is a fatal TLS alert: invalid protocol (2/70). Many Internet servers have been shutting off TLSv1.0/SSLv3 in favor of TLSv1.2/1.3 these days, is this a case of that? If so, the setup app needs to be updated.

I can specify a specific server URL after the mirrors.lst download fails and can at least get something installed.

Is there any workaround to force setup-x86_64.exe to default to TLSv1.2/1.3? Or is this something that the MSDN version of Windows 2016 Server has configured?

More details/symptoms:

I am behind a firewall, but the proxy settings in IE allow me to tunnel out. The corresponding "Use System Proxy Settings" in Firefox works fine. But when I set the TLS settings in Firefox's "about:config" to use only TLSv1.0/SSLv3, I see the same alert being returned to Firefox.

Wireshark reports:

CONNECT cygwin.com:443 HTTP1.0 ->

<- HTTP/1.0 200 Connection established

ClientHello ->
v1.0

<- Fatal Alert: 2/70

Supposedly SCHANNEL has TLSv1.2 on by default, but have no idea how the setup app is written.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/secauthn/protocols-in-tls-ssl--schannel-ssp-
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/kaushal/support-for-ssltls-protocols-on-windows

My previous installs of cygwin aren't having any problems when trying to incrementally add software, maybe the mirrors file is cached somewhere?

Thanks for any tips,

Brad