* problem with paste-from-clipboard
@ 2017-05-12 21:24 Ladislav DANKO
From: Ladislav DANKO @ 2017-05-12 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi folks,

I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc file I have just this line:
"\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

I start cygwin terminal (as C:\cyg64\bin\bash.exe --login -i), from another (say, GUI) place I copy
some text into clipboard and I try to include it with Insert key to cygwin terminal. Nothing happend.

I tried run `sed -n l` to check that my Insert key gives right keystroke:
$> sed -n l
\033[2~$
So it looks like keystroke is mapped good.

I included another line in ~/.inputrc just to verify, that  ~/.inputrc is sourced:
"\e[3~": end-of-line
and now when I hit Delete key, cursor is moved at the end of line. So looks like ~/.inputrc is
sourced and works.

But I can't include from clipboard.

In terminal definition I have checked Quick edit mode and Insert mode.

Does someone know what I'm doing wrong?

My system: Win7 64 Professional, English.

Ladislav

* Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard
@ 2017-05-13  2:50 ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-05-13  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:50:26, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
> I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc file I
> have just this line: "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

You have left out a critical piece of information here, you have not mentioned
*what* you are trying to paste. Note that current readline is broken when using
code page 65001:

Current maintainer Eric Blake is refusing to rollback, and refusing to fix the
problem, instead pushing the responsibility of patching this on the user base:

* Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard
@ 2017-05-13  7:38   ` Ladislav DANKO
From: Ladislav DANKO @ 2017-05-13  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

So downgrade my libreadline to previous version?

I have 7.0.1-2, cygwin install is trying to push me to 7.0.3-3 version. On my another
station (older cygwin instalattion) I has 6.3.8-1 version and here it works good.

@ 2017-05-15 15:29   ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2017-05-15 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 05/12/2017 05:37 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:50:26, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
>> I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc
>> file I
>> have just this line: "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard
>
> You have left out a critical piece of information here, you have not
> mentioned
> *what* you are trying to paste. Note that current readline is broken
> when using
> code page 65001:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00176.html
>
> Current maintainer Eric Blake is refusing to rollback, and refusing to
> fix the
> problem, instead pushing the responsibility of patching this on the user
> base:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00161.html

You're making it sound like I'm actively trying to hurt you. Rather,
it's a case where it is a problem that doesn't affect me personally, and
I have limited enough spare time as it is, so I haven't yet tried to
reproduce things to see if I can isolate what behavior changed.

I would love help solving the issue.  Absent that help, you'll just have
to wait for me to have time.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266

* Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard
@ 2017-05-15 18:19     ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-05-15 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, 13 May 2017 15:11:00, Eric Blake wrote:
> You're making it sound like I'm actively trying to hurt you. Rather,
> it's a case where it is a problem that doesn't affect me personally, and
> I have limited enough spare time as it is, so I haven't yet tried to
> reproduce things to see if I can isolate what behavior changed.
>
> I would love help solving the issue.  Absent that help, you'll just have
> to wait for me to have time.

But I have helped - in the very post of mine you just quoted, I put this link:

that post of mine contains not only the commit in question, but even potentially
the file in question and even possibly the section of the file in question. You
never even responded to that post.

* Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard
@ 2017-05-15 20:00       ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2017-05-15 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 05/15/2017 12:09 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Sat, 13 May 2017 15:11:00, Eric Blake wrote:
>> You're making it sound like I'm actively trying to hurt you. Rather,
>> it's a case where it is a problem that doesn't affect me personally, and
>> I have limited enough spare time as it is, so I haven't yet tried to
>> reproduce things to see if I can isolate what behavior changed.
>>
>> I would love help solving the issue.  Absent that help, you'll just have
>> to wait for me to have time.
>
> But I have helped - in the very post of mine you just quoted, I put this
> link:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00176.html
>
> that post of mine contains not only the commit in question, but even
> potentially
> the file in question and even possibly the section of the file in
> question. You
> never even responded to that post.

Probably because I did not even see the post at the time. (While I try
to keep up with Cygwin email, I also get hundreds of other mails per
day, and when Cygwin is limited to my free time, sometimes things slip
through the cracks).  In life, and therefore in open source, it is often
that the squeaky wheel gets the grease; if something isn't getting the
attention you think it deserves, it is not bad to ping the thread to
bring it back to the forefront.

Thanks for the ping. I've now replied to that thread to ask upstream
bash for help in deciphering if Chet, who wrote the code, might be aware
of why it is breaking things.

That said, I still hope to get a closer look at it myself when I have a
nice chunk of time; but the trick is still getting that nice chunk of time.

--

@ 2017-05-29 20:05         ` Ladislav DANKO
From: Ladislav DANKO @ 2017-05-29 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

So what is actual solution, downgrade? To which version?

@ 2017-09-01 14:03         ` Ladislav DANKO
From: Ladislav DANKO @ 2017-09-01 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

is there any update on this please?

On 15.05.2017 20:21, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 05/15/2017 12:09 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 May 2017 15:11:00, Eric Blake wrote:
>>> You're making it sound like I'm actively trying to hurt you. Rather, it's a case where it is a problem that doesn't affect me personally, and I have
>>> limited enough spare time as it is, so I haven't yet tried to reproduce things to see if I can isolate what behavior changed.
>>>
>>> I would love help solving the issue.  Absent that help, you'll just have to wait for me to have time.
>>
>> But I have helped - in the very post of mine you just quoted, I put this link:
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00176.html
>>
>> that post of mine contains not only the commit in question, but even potentially the file in question and even possibly the section of the file in
>> question. You never even responded to that post.
>
> Probably because I did not even see the post at the time. (While I try to keep up with Cygwin email, I also get hundreds of other mails per day, and when
> Cygwin is limited to my free time, sometimes things slip through the cracks).  In life, and therefore in open source, it is often that the squeaky wheel
> gets the grease; if something isn't getting the attention you think it deserves, it is not bad to ping the thread to bring it back to the forefront.
>
> Thanks for the ping. I've now replied to that thread to ask upstream bash for help in deciphering if Chet, who wrote the code, might be aware of why it is
> breaking things.
>
> That said, I still hope to get a closer look at it myself when I have a nice chunk of time; but the trick is still getting that nice chunk of time.

* Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard
@ 2017-09-01 14:42           ` Eric Blake
                               ` (3 more replies)
From: Eric Blake @ 2017-09-01 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 09/01/2017 09:03 AM, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
> is there any update on this please?

Top-posting,...

> On 15.05.2017 20:21, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 05/15/2017 12:09 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
>>> On Sat, 13 May 2017 15:11:00, Eric Blake wrote:

>> Thanks for the ping. I've now replied to that thread to ask upstream bash for help in deciphering if Chet, who wrote the code, might be aware of why it is
>> breaking things.
>>
>> That said, I still hope to get a closer look at it myself when I have a nice chunk of time; but the trick is still getting that nice chunk of time.

and then quoting text that describes discussion of the problem, but not
the problem itself, is not helpful.

Going back to your original email:

On 05/12/2017 01:50 PM, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc
file I have just this line:
> "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard
>
> I start cygwin terminal (as C:\cyg64\bin\bash.exe --login -i), from
another (say, GUI) place I copy
> some text into clipboard and I try to include it with Insert key to
cygwin terminal. Nothing happend.

I still have not had time to try and reproduce this issue.  But a short
answer might be that the clipboard behaves differently on cygwin than on
other systems; it may be that your key-binding worked, but that bash's
attempt to read from the clipboard found no data.

Does 'cat /dev/clipboard' output the data you are expecting to see?

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266
Virtualization:  qemu.org | libvirt.org

* Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard
@ 2017-09-01 14:55             ` Ladislav DANKO
                               ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ladislav DANKO @ 2017-09-01 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 01.09.2017 16:42, Eric Blake wrote:
> Does 'cat /dev/clipboard' output the data you are expecting to see?

yes

* Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard
@ 2017-09-01 15:24             ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2017-09-01 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On 05/12/2017 01:50 PM, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
>> I start cygwin terminal (as C:\cyg64\bin\bash.exe --login -i), from another (say, GUI) place I copy
That's not quite the "Cygwin Terminal", it's (implicitly) the Cygwin
Console.
>> some text into clipboard and I try to include it with Insert key to cygwin terminal. Nothing happend.
Try Shift+Insert

* Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard
@ 2017-09-01 16:00               ` Ladislav DANKO
From: Ladislav DANKO @ 2017-09-01 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 01.09.2017 17:24, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> On 05/12/2017 01:50 PM, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
>>> I start cygwin terminal (as C:\cyg64\bin\bash.exe --login -i), from another (say, GUI) place I copy
> That's not quite the "Cygwin Terminal", it's (implicitly) the Cygwin Console.
>>> some text into clipboard and I try to include it with Insert key to cygwin terminal. Nothing happend.
> Try Shift+Insert
no luck, same result as with insert

* Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard
@ 2017-09-01 22:19             ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-09-01 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 09:42:12, Eric Blake wrote:
> > I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc
> file I have just this line:
> > "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard
> >
> > I start cygwin terminal (as C:\cyg64\bin\bash.exe --login -i), from
> another (say, GUI) place I copy
> > some text into clipboard and I try to include it with Insert key to
> cygwin terminal. Nothing happend.
>
> I still have not had time to try and reproduce this issue.  But a short
> answer might be that the clipboard behaves differently on cygwin than on
> other systems; it may be that your key-binding worked, but that bash's
> attempt to read from the clipboard found no data.

Sanity check - does this even work with Linux? I just tried it with Lubuntu, and
it does not work either. Only the default Shift+Insert or Ctrl+Shift+V work.

Lubuntu uses LXTerminal, with it you can do Edit, Preferences, Shortcuts and
change the Ctrl+Shift+V to something else - not sure where Shift+Insert comes
from - maybe readline?

* Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard
@ 2017-09-02  3:17               ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-09-02  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-09-01 16:19, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 09:42:12, Eric Blake wrote:
>> > I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc
>> file I have just this line:
>> > "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard
>> >
>> > I start cygwin terminal (as C:\cyg64\bin\bash.exe --login -i), from
>> another (say, GUI) place I copy
>> > some text into clipboard and I try to include it with Insert key to
>> cygwin terminal. Nothing happend.
>>
>> I still have not had time to try and reproduce this issue.  But a short
>> answer might be that the clipboard behaves differently on cygwin than on
>> other systems; it may be that your key-binding worked, but that bash's
>> attempt to read from the clipboard found no data.
>
> Sanity check - does this even work with Linux? I just tried it with Lubuntu, and
> it does not work either. Only the default Shift+Insert or Ctrl+Shift+V work.
>
> Lubuntu uses LXTerminal, with it you can do Edit, Preferences, Shortcuts and
> change the Ctrl+Shift+V to something else - not sure where Shift+Insert comes
> from - maybe readline?

Control-Insert, Shift-Delete, Shift-Insert may be from X-selection keystrokes in
the early days; Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-Z may be from Xerox Alto or Star
window systems, and were used for clipboard operations on X window systems.
MS Windows took a lot of its early designs from Motif, so those keystrokes were
adopted and implemented at the window level, and are still available even when
the application does not support Copy, Cut, Paste; later when MS borrowed from
Apple, they adopted the Apple keystrokes for application supported operations,
including formatting and graphics.

* Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard
                               ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-08-07 19:31             ` Bosmon
From: Bosmon @ 2018-08-07 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On 05/12/2017 01:50 PM, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
> > I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc
file I have just this line:
> > "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard
> >
> > I start cygwin terminal (as C:\cyg64\bin\bash.exe --login -i), from
another (say, GUI) place I copy
> > some text into clipboard and I try to include it with Insert key to
cygwin terminal. Nothing happend.

> I still have not had time to try and reproduce this issue.  But a short
> answer might be that the clipboard behaves differently on cygwin than on
> other systems; it may be that your key-binding worked, but that bash's
> attempt to read from the clipboard found no data.

> Does 'cat /dev/clipboard' output the data you are expecting to see?

I have the same problem as the OP. I am on libreadline 7.0.3-3 - as far
as I can see, the paste-from-clipboard command has become a no-op.
I can verify that the data I want is in /dev/clipboard but nothing happens

This keybinding used to work with an earlier version of libreadline.

--
Sent from: http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Cygwin-list-f3.html

* Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard
@ 2018-08-07 22:32               ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2018-08-07 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 12:31:16, Bosmon wrote:
> I have the same problem as the OP. I am on libreadline 7.0.3-3 - as far
> as I can see, the paste-from-clipboard command has become a no-op.
> I can verify that the data I want is in /dev/clipboard but nothing happens
>
> This keybinding used to work with an earlier version of libreadline.

are you certain about this? quoting myself:

> Sanity check - does this even work with Linux? I just tried it with Lubuntu,
> and it does not work either. Only the default Shift+Insert or Ctrl+Shift+V
> work.
>
> Lubuntu uses LXTerminal, with it you can do Edit, Preferences, Shortcuts and
> change the Ctrl+Shift+V to something else - not sure where Shift+Insert comes
> from - maybe readline?

If you are certain, perhaps you could name the last working version - similar to
git bisect - this would aid greatly in debugging this.

* Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard
@ 2018-08-12  1:34                 ` Bosmon
From: Bosmon @ 2018-08-12  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> If you are certain, perhaps you could name the last working version -
similar to
> git bisect - this would aid greatly in debugging this.

Yes, I am certain. readline 6.3.8-1 is working, and 7.0.1-1 is broken.

To be clear, the issue is nothing to do with the particular keybinding.
Whatever I bind
paste-from-clipboard to in .inputrc, the result is a no-op when using
versions of
readline 7.0.1-1 and later.

It seems that you yourself reported another issue with readline 7.0.1-1 on
Jan 13th, 2017,
which as far as I can see is still not resolved. It's a shame that the
working versions
of readline are no longer readily available in the mirrors.

Based on that thread, it looks like it might be significant to mention that
I am running
bash from within cmd.exe.

--

@ 2018-08-12  3:21                   ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2018-08-12  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 18:34:02, Bosmon wrote:
> It seems that you yourself reported another issue with readline 7.0.1-1 on
> Jan 13th, 2017, which as far as I can see is still not resolved.

as mentioned in my previous email - it is helpful is you give full infomation
when posting

this includes version numbers - as you have now done - and in this case when you
refer to another post you should link to it if you arent directly replying to it

i am not inclined to go searching archives from a year ago, and even if i was
i wouldnt know what you are talking about because you didnt even say what the
specific issue was.

cheers

* Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard
@ 2018-08-13 19:02                     ` Bosmon
From: Bosmon @ 2018-08-13 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Your posting was in the thread "[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated:
libreadline7-7.0.1-1, libreadline-devel-7.0.1-1, bash-4.4.5-1"

and is linked here:

https://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin@cygwin.com/msg151042.html

The problem you reported, of broken interactive non-ASCII input,
is likely unrelated but is further suggestive that the 7.x releases
of libreadline didn't go through the QA they should. The version
combination that you mention in that posting is the one I am
now happily running with.

--

@ 2018-08-14  3:37                       ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2018-08-14  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 12:02:53, Bosmon wrote:
> Your posting was in the thread "[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated:
> libreadline7-7.0.1-1, libreadline-devel-7.0.1-1, bash-4.4.5-1"
>
> and is linked here:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin@cygwin.com/msg151042.html

the proper link is here:

> The problem you reported, of broken interactive non-ASCII input,
> is likely unrelated but is further suggestive that the 7.x releases
> of libreadline didn't go through the QA they should. The version
> combination that you mention in that posting is the one I am
> now happily running with.

original issue is here:

> With cmd.exe, you can type Alt 234 and it produces
> GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA U+03A9. However with Cygwin via Cygwin.bat it
> yields nothing. Non ASCII characters can be read from scripts, but they cannot
> be entered interactively.
>
> They cannot be pasted either; pasting some words will remove all non ASCII
> characters.

and my issue was fixed here:

* Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard
@ 2019-09-08 11:30                         ` Bosmon
From: Bosmon @ 2019-09-08 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Steven - thanks for the response.
It appears that the issue that the OP and I are suffering from is unrelated
to the one in the linked fix. For reference, the original post was as
follows:

One suggestion, from Eric Blake and others, was

> Does 'cat /dev/clipboard' output the data you are expecting to see?

The result is that it does - the correct data is in the clipboard but that
paste-from-clipboard acts as a no-op.
This is still broken as of the latest release of libreadline 7.0.3-3 .
Downgrading to the DLLs present in libreadline 6.3.8-1 (as well as,
naturally, a matching bash.exe and sh.exe) resolves the problem

Many thanks for any help

--
Sent from: http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Cygwin-list-f3.html