* change in wget logfile behavior
@ 2017-03-30  1:45 Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2017-03-30  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Recently, I guess since wget was upgraded to 1.19, whenever I run wget I get a
bonus message on the console:

  Redirecting output to ‘wget-log’.

And sure enough, wget creates the file ~/wget-log, which is usually empty.

This behavior is annoying, and new. It can be worked around by putting

logfile = /dev/stderr

in /etc/wgetrc.

Eric, I guess you're aware of this change. Would you consider putting the above
into the default /etc/wgetrc, so people don't have to make the chnage separately
on all of their hosts?

Thanks,
Andrew

* Re: change in wget logfile behavior
@ 2017-03-30  2:24 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2017-03-30  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 03/29/2017 08:30 PM, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> Recently, I guess since wget was upgraded to 1.19, whenever I run wget I get a
> bonus message on the console:
>
>   Redirecting output to ‘wget-log’.
>
> And sure enough, wget creates the file ~/wget-log, which is usually empty.
>
> This behavior is annoying, and new. It can be worked around by putting
>
> logfile = /dev/stderr
>
> in /etc/wgetrc.
>
> Eric, I guess you're aware of this change. Would you consider putting the above
> into the default /etc/wgetrc, so people don't have to make the chnage separately
> on all of their hosts?

I'll investigate to see whether this was an intentional upstream change,
and whether other distros are doing anything about it.  Thanks for the
heads up.

* Re: change in wget logfile behavior
@ 2017-07-27 21:19   ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2017-07-27 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[revisiting this thread]

On 03/29/2017 08:45 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 03/29/2017 08:30 PM, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> Recently, I guess since wget was upgraded to 1.19, whenever I run wget I get a
>> bonus message on the console:
>>
>>   Redirecting output to ‘wget-log’.
>>
>> And sure enough, wget creates the file ~/wget-log, which is usually empty.

I didn't see anything in NEWS, but the git log includes:

commit dd5c549f6af8e1143e1a6ef66725eea4bcd9ad50
Author: losgrandes <pwajda@gmail.net.pl>
Date:   Fri Oct 21 17:12:58 2016 +0200

    Fixes #45790: wget prints it's progress even when background

    * src/log.c: Use tcgetpgrp(STDIN_FILENO) != getpgrp() to determine
when to print to STD* or logfile.
      Deprecate log_request_redirect_output function.
      Use different file handles for STD* and logfile, to easily switch
between them when changing fg/bg.

I didn't do anything special for the just-built 1.19.1-2 released today,
but if you are still seeing the issue, is it only when you run 'wget
...&' in the background, or always?  Could it be an issue with cygwin's
tcgetpgrp(STDIN_FILENO)?

>> This behavior is annoying, and new. It can be worked around by putting
>>
>> logfile = /dev/stderr
>>
>> in /etc/wgetrc.

I'm afraid that doing that may violate the intention of what was
supposed to be a fix. You may also want to raise the issue upstream.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266