* Update of packages by non-maintainer
@ 2020-05-20 10:18 Yasuhiro KIMURA
From: Yasuhiro KIMURA @ 2020-05-20 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello all,

I would like to update some packages but I'm not maintainer of
them. Then what is proper way to update them? Is it OK to create
updated packages by myself and submit them? Or should I request to
maintainers and wait until they take action?

Best Regards.

* Re: Update of packages by non-maintainer
@ 2020-05-20 11:09 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2020-05-20 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 12:44 PM Yasuhiro KIMURA <yasu@utahime.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to update some packages but I'm not maintainer of
> them. Then what is proper way to update them? Is it OK to create
> updated packages by myself and submit them? Or should I request to
> maintainers and wait until they take action?
>
> Best Regards.

Hi Yasushiro,

usually you ask the maintainer on this list and wait for the feedback.

However if you are interested to become the single maintainer or the
co-maintainer of any package, you can do so on the cygwin-apps mailing
list.
Which packages are you interested in ? We have plenty of them
and new maintainers are always welcome:

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

suggested reading
https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html

Regards
Marco

* Re: Update of packages by non-maintainer
@ 2020-05-20 14:32 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-05-20 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-05-20 04:18, Yasuhiro KIMURA wrote:
> I would like to update some packages but I'm not maintainer of
> them. Then what is proper way to update them? Is it OK to create
> updated packages by myself and submit them? Or should I request to
> maintainers and wait until they take action?

You should discuss changes and intent on cygwin list, post patches on
cygwin-apps list.

You could also contact the upstream package maintainer, and skip Cygwin,
depending on the upstream package maintainer.

You can also just download the source packages, build with cygport, change,
create patches, rebuild, and keep track of your changes.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]

* Re: Update of packages by non-maintainer
@ 2020-05-21  4:47   ` Yasuhiro KIMURA
From: Yasuhiro KIMURA @ 2020-05-21  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: Update of packages by non-maintainer
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 08:32:59 -0600

> You should discuss changes and intent on cygwin list, post patches on
> cygwin-apps list.

Thank you for reply. My first candidate is anthy. Original anthy
projet has been inactive since 2009. But Debian forked it and made
improvement and enhancement. So I would like to switch codebase to
that of Debian. I just checked out cygwin anthy git repository and
started working but I have one question.

After project fork by Debian, release version scheme has changed.
While latest version from original project (and one used by cygwin
package) is "9100h", latest one from Debian is "0.4". That is, version
number decreses if I chage codebase to Debian. I know that some
packaging systems assume version number basically increases and that
decrement causes package upgrade failure.  So I would like to know if
it also apply to Cygwin. And if it does then I also would like to know
how it should be handled.

Best Regards.

---
Yasuhiro KIMURA

* Re: Update of packages by non-maintainer
@ 2020-05-21  9:50     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2020-05-21  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasuhiro KIMURA, cygwin

Greetings, Yasuhiro KIMURA!

>> You should discuss changes and intent on cygwin list, post patches on
>> cygwin-apps list.

> Thank you for reply. My first candidate is anthy. Original anthy
> projet has been inactive since 2009. But Debian forked it and made
> improvement and enhancement. So I would like to switch codebase to
> that of Debian. I just checked out cygwin anthy git repository and
> started working but I have one question.

> After project fork by Debian, release version scheme has changed.
> While latest version from original project (and one used by cygwin
> package) is "9100h", latest one from Debian is "0.4". That is, version
> number decreses if I chage codebase to Debian. I know that some
> packaging systems assume version number basically increases and that
> decrement causes package upgrade failure.  So I would like to know if
> it also apply to Cygwin.

It does. This is why you would see test and pre-release versions posted as
X.Y-0.Z and release versions posted as X.Y-Z.

> And if it does then I also would like to know how it should be handled.

An interesting question, given nonstandard original versioning.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Update of packages by non-maintainer
@ 2020-05-21 10:16     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-05-21 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 21.05.2020 06:47, Yasuhiro KIMURA wrote:
> From: Brian Inglis
> Subject: Re: Update of packages by non-maintainer
> Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 08:32:59 -0600
>
>> You should discuss changes and intent on cygwin list, post patches on
>> cygwin-apps list.
>
> Thank you for reply. My first candidate is anthy. Original anthy
> projet has been inactive since 2009. But Debian forked it and made
> improvement and enhancement. So I would like to switch codebase to
> that of Debian. I just checked out cygwin anthy git repository and
> started working but I have one question.

the anthy pkg maintainer, Yaakov, is reducing his activity
and if you are interested you can take over.

> After project fork by Debian, release version scheme has changed.
> While latest version from original project (and one used by cygwin
> package) is "9100h", latest one from Debian is "0.4". That is, version
> number decreses if I chage codebase to Debian. I know that some
> packaging systems assume version number basically increases and that
> decrement causes package upgrade failure.  So I would like to know if
> it also apply to Cygwin. And if it does then I also would like to know
> how it should be handled.

currently we have no solution. There were in the past discussion
to overcome such problem but they are not yet implemented.

We can follow these two points on the cygwin-apps mailing list,
please subscribe to it.

> Best Regards.
>
> ---
> Yasuhiro KIMURA