* Permissions Problems
@ 2016-05-16 14:13 Norton Allen
From: Norton Allen @ 2016-05-16 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin list

I have seen problems similar to those reported in "RE: Possible issue
with newest version of git (v 2.8) under Cygwin", but I did not want to
hijack that thread.

For me, the problems have been elusive. Scripts that used to work would
fail as created directories had bad permissions, but I didn't have time
to sort them out. In the last week, I finally had time to read through
the documentation on the ntsec page and try some tests, and of course
now I'm having trouble reproducing the problems. You'd think that was a
good thing, right?

I had been using /etc/passwd from mkpasswd, and based on recommendations
here, I modified nsswitch for passwd: db. This seemed to work fine, and
I decided I was all set.

Then Windows update rebooted over the weekend, and nothing worked, and
returning to 'files' resolved the problem.

The exacerbating factor here is that I have a laptop connected to my
work domain, but we use cached windows credentials when we are not on
the work LAN (like at home over the weekend). In this scenario, cygwin
was apparently unable to determine my username, and hence was unable to
locate my home directory. The username is apparently cached successfully
if I reboot at work and then go offline, but not if I reboot offline.

Does this mean I need to stay with 'passwd: files db' for the
foreseeable future, or is it possible to find the username in this scenario?

* Re: Permissions Problems
@ 2016-05-30 16:35 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-05-30 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On May 16 10:13, Norton Allen wrote:
> I have seen problems similar to those reported in "RE: Possible issue with
> newest version of git (v 2.8) under Cygwin", but I did not want to hijack
> that thread.
>
> For me, the problems have been elusive. Scripts that used to work would fail
> as created directories had bad permissions, but I didn't have time to sort
> them out. In the last week, I finally had time to read through the
> documentation on the ntsec page and try some tests, and of course now I'm
> having trouble reproducing the problems. You'd think that was a good thing,
> right?
>
> I had been using /etc/passwd from mkpasswd, and based on recommendations
> here, I modified nsswitch for passwd: db. This seemed to work fine, and I
> decided I was all set.
>
> Then Windows update rebooted over the weekend, and nothing worked, and
> returning to 'files' resolved the problem.
>
> The exacerbating factor here is that I have a laptop connected to my work
> domain, but we use cached windows credentials when we are not on the work
> LAN (like at home over the weekend). In this scenario, cygwin was apparently
> unable to determine my username, and hence was unable to locate my home
> directory. The username is apparently cached successfully if I reboot at
> work and then go offline, but not if I reboot offline.
>
> Does this mean I need to stay with 'passwd: files db' for the foreseeable
> future, or is it possible to find the username in this scenario?

It's not the username per se, it's the fact that the db-only setting
doesn't allow o create valid passwd/group entries for your user.

So, yes.  In your scenario you should ideally revert back to "files db"
and create minimal /etc/passwd and /etc/group files.

/etc/passwd may contain only your own user account.  /etc/group
only the domain groups you're member of.  Everything "special" or
"local" will be picked up just fine by Cygwin then.  If there are
also files on your machine owned by some other domain user, it might
be helpful to add that account to /etc/passwd, too.

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Permissions Problems
@ 2016-05-30 16:51   ` Norton Allen
From: Norton Allen @ 2016-05-30 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On May 16 10:13, Norton Allen wrote:
>> I have seen problems similar to those reported in "RE: Possible issue with
>> newest version of git (v 2.8) under Cygwin", but I did not want to hijack
>> that thread.
>>
>> For me, the problems have been elusive. Scripts that used to work would fail
>> as created directories had bad permissions, but I didn't have time to sort
>> them out. In the last week, I finally had time to read through the
>> documentation on the ntsec page and try some tests, and of course now I'm
>> having trouble reproducing the problems. You'd think that was a good thing,
>> right?
>>
>> I had been using /etc/passwd from mkpasswd, and based on recommendations
>> here, I modified nsswitch for passwd: db. This seemed to work fine, and I
>> decided I was all set.
>>
>> Then Windows update rebooted over the weekend, and nothing worked, and
>> returning to 'files' resolved the problem.
>>
>> The exacerbating factor here is that I have a laptop connected to my work
>> domain, but we use cached windows credentials when we are not on the work
>> LAN (like at home over the weekend). In this scenario, cygwin was apparently
>> unable to determine my username, and hence was unable to locate my home
>> directory. The username is apparently cached successfully if I reboot at
>> work and then go offline, but not if I reboot offline.
>>
>> Does this mean I need to stay with 'passwd: files db' for the foreseeable
>> future, or is it possible to find the username in this scenario?
> It's not the username per se, it's the fact that the db-only setting
> doesn't allow o create valid passwd/group entries for your user.
>
> So, yes.  In your scenario you should ideally revert back to "files db"
> and create minimal /etc/passwd and /etc/group files.
>
> /etc/passwd may contain only your own user account.  /etc/group
> only the domain groups you're member of.  Everything "special" or
> "local" will be picked up just fine by Cygwin then.  If there are
> also files on your machine owned by some other domain user, it might
> be helpful to add that account to /etc/passwd, too.

Great, thanks!

* Re: permissions problems
@ 2001-09-24  6:39 Serge Pluess
From: Serge Pluess @ 2001-09-24  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jean.barata, Cygwin

Hi

I think this is probably related to the same issue we have been having.

Your NT machine is probably part of a DOMAIN.

When you run setup it automatically runs mkpasswd at the end. It does this though with the parameter -l which creates a /etc/passwd file with the users that are setup on your local machine.

You should be able to run mkpasswd -d > /etc/passwd to create the password file with the domain users instead. If you don't have permission to overwrite the file just login as administrator (wiith the password of the local administrator) and run the command.

Now we have been unsuccessful completely on getting this to work with Windows 2000 machines (Pro and Server) that are part of an NT domain, as the above command only generates 12 lines (instead of around 300).

So it has been decided to drop the project to use cygwin .

Hope this helps a little

Serge

>>> "Jean Barata" <jean.barata@softeam.fr> 09/20/01 04:31AM >>>
hello,

I have some permissions problems with the new cygwin1.dll (version 1.3.3):

when I set CYGWIN = ... ntsec ...  I can't create any file (permission
denied)
and without "ntsec" I can't change the permissions of files or directories
(no message, but permissions keep the same)

I'm working on NT-SP5 (disk partition is NTFS)

Did someone had the same problem yet ?

Thanks

Jean Barata - SOFTEAM
01.30.12.18.67 - jean.barata@softeam.fr
SOFTEAM
Immeuble sesame
8 rue germain soufflot
78184 St Quentin en yvelines cedex

* Re: permissions problems
@ 2001-09-20  7:14 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-09-20  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 07:31 AM 9/20/2001, Jean Barata wrote:
>hello,
>
>I have some permissions problems with the new cygwin1.dll (version 1.3.3):
>
>when I set CYGWIN = ... ntsec ...  I can't create any file (permission
>denied)
>and without "ntsec" I can't change the permissions of files or directories
>(no message, but permissions keep the same)
>
>I'm working on NT-SP5 (disk partition is NTFS)
>
>Did someone had the same problem yet ?

Take a look at the email list archives.  There's some talk, even within
the last week or so, of similar issues and resolutions.  You'll want to
investigate the details to see if they address your situation.

* permissions problems
@ 2001-09-20  4:23 Jean Barata