* Windows upgrade
@ 2018-06-13  3:20 Alejandro Benitez
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Alejandro Benitez @ 2018-06-13  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I have a 32 bit cygwin installation of 8 years of age in an amd64 PC with 2 GB of RAM with Windows 10. So far it's been so good. I never had the need to use a 64 bit Windows, but recently 64 bit has become mainstream and I also started having low memory issues, so I upgraded to 4 GB of RAM. The thing is 32 bit Windows has issues with the whole 4 GB of RAM therefore I have quite less available, so I decided I will be switching to 64 bit Windows 10 via a clean install (yuk!) when I am able.

I'll be following the steps outlined in this post or a similar one:

https://www.howtogeek.com/228042/how-to-switch-from-32-bit-windows-10-to-64-bit-windows-10/

It's somehow clear I thankfully won't need to upgrade to cygwin64 until later, I mean it seems I'll be able to still use my 32 bit cygwin after I upgrade to 64 bit Windows 10, I just don't know what I'll need to tweak / migrate so that the new Windows installation installed on top of the same drive that currently holds the 32 bit cygwin knows it's there. I'm betting some registry entries and environment variables. Does anyone know these tweaks for certain? I need cygwin to be fully functional, I mean setup.exe needs to be able to install packages, otherwise it won't be of much use.

I might also be wrong and need to install cygwin64 as I upgrade Windows. Fingers are crossed.

Thanks in advance,

* Re: Windows upgrade
@ 2018-06-13  6:12 ` Sam Habiel
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sam Habiel @ 2018-06-13  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I use Cygwin 32-bit all the time on Windows 10 x64.

--Sam

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 7:31 PM Alejandro Benitez <
BenitezAlejandroeepo@outlook.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a 32 bit cygwin installation of 8 years of age in an amd64 PC with
> 2 GB of RAM with Windows 10. So far it's been so good. I never had the need
> to use a 64 bit Windows, but recently 64 bit has become mainstream and I
> also started having low memory issues, so I upgraded to 4 GB of RAM. The
> thing is 32 bit Windows has issues with the whole 4 GB of RAM therefore I
> have quite less available, so I decided I will be switching to 64 bit
> Windows 10 via a clean install (yuk!) when I am able.
>
> I'll be following the steps outlined in this post or a similar one:
>

> https://www.howtogeek.com/228042/how-to-switch-from-32-bit-windows-10-to-64-bit-windows-10/
>
> It's somehow clear I thankfully won't need to upgrade to cygwin64 until
> later, I mean it seems I'll be able to still use my 32 bit cygwin after I
> upgrade to 64 bit Windows 10, I just don't know what I'll need to tweak /
> migrate so that the new Windows installation installed on top of the same
> drive that currently holds the 32 bit cygwin knows it's there. I'm betting
> some registry entries and environment variables. Does anyone know these
> tweaks for certain? I need cygwin to be fully functional, I mean setup.exe
> needs to be able to install packages, otherwise it won't be of much use.
>
> I might also be wrong and need to install cygwin64 as I upgrade Windows.
> Fingers are crossed.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --

* Re: Windows upgrade
@ 2018-06-13  8:35 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-06-13  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alejandro Benitez, cygwin

Greetings, Alejandro Benitez!

> I just don't know what I'll need to tweak /
> migrate so that the new Windows installation installed on top of the same
> drive that currently holds the 32 bit cygwin knows it's there. I'm betting
> some registry entries and environment variables. Does anyone know these
> tweaks for certain? I need cygwin to be fully functional, I mean setup.exe
> needs to be able to install packages, otherwise it won't be of much use.

> I might also be wrong and need to install cygwin64 as I upgrade Windows. Fingers are crossed.

All you'd need to do (to be on safest possible side) is to issue

    rebase-trigger full

then run a normal setup session to the end at least once, specifying your
existing Cygwin installation directory as the target.

If any issues would arise after that, please check

and if all else fails, follow the

With best regards,
Andrey Repin
Wednesday, June 13, 2018 6:05:20

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Windows upgrade
@ 2018-06-13 13:49   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-06-13 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Habiel, cygwin

Greetings, Sam Habiel!

> I use Cygwin 32-bit all the time on Windows 10 x64.

1. This is not a public census, mind you.
2. No top-posting in this mailing list.
3. Please cut your quotes to the necessary part, and teach your mail agent to
not quote raw email addresses.
Do not feed the spambots.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2018-06-13 14:39     ` Sam Habiel
From: Sam Habiel @ 2018-06-13 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thank you Andrey.

I use default settings on Gmail--that's the problem mainly.

--Sam

@ 2018-06-13 18:37 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-06-13 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Alejandro Benitez writes:
> I have a 32 bit cygwin installation of 8 years of age in an amd64 PC
> with 2 GB of RAM with Windows 10. So far it's been so good. I never
> had the need to use a 64 bit Windows, but recently 64 bit has become
> mainstream and I also started having low memory issues, so I upgraded
> to 4 GB of RAM. The thing is 32 bit Windows has issues with the whole
> 4 GB of RAM therefore I have quite less available, so I decided I will
> be switching to 64 bit Windows 10 via a clean install (yuk!) when I am
> able.

Well, for an installation that old it would probably be quite helpful if
you did a clean fresh install.  A 32bit Windows can deal just fine with
4GB of memory (not so much with larger memory), you can make about 3GB
of that available to user processes with a boot option (at the expense
of memory reserved for the kernel space).

> I'll be following the steps outlined in this post or a similar one:
>
> https://www.howtogeek.com/228042/how-to-switch-from-32-bit-windows-10-to-64-bit-windows-10/
>
> It's somehow clear I thankfully won't need to upgrade to cygwin64
> until later, I mean it seems I'll be able to still use my 32 bit
> cygwin after I upgrade to 64 bit Windows 10, I just don't know what
> I'll need to tweak / migrate so that the new Windows installation
> installed on top of the same drive that currently holds the 32 bit
> cygwin knows it's there. I'm betting some registry entries and
> environment variables. Does anyone know these tweaks for certain? I
> need cygwin to be fully functional, I mean setup.exe needs to be able
> to install packages, otherwise it won't be of much use.

You can keep using a 32bit Cygwin on any Windows 64bit desktop version
in existence so far, they all come with the WoW64 subsystem that is
necessary to run 32bit Windows applications.

> I might also be wrong and need to install cygwin64 as I upgrade
> Windows. Fingers are crossed.

However, I'd still recommend you make the switch to a 64bit Cygwin if
you have the option.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Windows upgrade
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-06-14  1:29 ` Hans-Bernhard Bröker
From: Hans-Bernhard Bröker @ 2018-06-14  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 13.06.2018 um 01:30 schrieb Alejandro Benitez:

> It's somehow clear I thankfully won't need to upgrade to cygwin64 until later,

While you don't need to do it, you'll have to re-install Cygwin anyway,
and frankly, installing 32-bit Cygwin from scratch, on a 64-bit Windows
machine, just seems excessively nostalgic.

You're already removing so much cruft --- why let yourself be tied to
the past by sticking with 32-bit Cygwin?

> I mean it seems I'll be able to still use my 32 bit cygwin after I upgrade to 64 bit Windows 10,

Unlikely.  You'll have to do a complete re-install to fix up all the
file permissions and regsitry entries.

* Re: Windows upgrade
@ 2018-06-15 11:17   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-06-15 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz, cygwin

Greetings, Achim Gratz!

>> I have a 32 bit cygwin installation of 8 years of age in an amd64 PC
>> with 2 GB of RAM with Windows 10. So far it's been so good. I never
>> had the need to use a 64 bit Windows, but recently 64 bit has become
>> mainstream and I also started having low memory issues, so I upgraded
>> to 4 GB of RAM. The thing is 32 bit Windows has issues with the whole
>> 4 GB of RAM therefore I have quite less available, so I decided I will
>> be switching to 64 bit Windows 10 via a clean install (yuk!) when I am
>> able.

> Well, for an installation that old it would probably be quite helpful if
> you did a clean fresh install.  A 32bit Windows can deal just fine with
> 4GB of memory (not so much with larger memory), you can make about 3GB
> of that available to user processes with a boot option (at the expense
> of memory reserved for the kernel space).

3.65GB in my experience is the best you can manage with 32-bit Windows.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...