* Setup missing installed packages
@ 2018-10-22 16:50 Lemke, Michael  ST/HZA-ZIC2
From: Lemke, Michael  ST/HZA-ZIC2 @ 2018-10-22 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I was just about to update my Cygwin installation when setup would list only a fraction of my installed packages. For instance git is missing but I have it installed. setup_version is 2.893 and running it with -v it tells there are 69 packages installed. But

$ wc /etc/setup/installed.db
  835  2504 36779 /etc/setup/installed.db

and I also see all these tar files in the installation directory. This is a 32bit installation on Win10 64bit.

What is going on, how can I debug this?

* Re: Setup missing installed packages
@ 2018-10-22 17:57 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-10-22 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 22.10.2018 um 18:50 schrieb Lemke, Michael  ST/HZA-ZIC2:
> I was just about to update my Cygwin installation when setup would list only a fraction of my installed packages. For instance git is missing but I have it installed. setup_version is 2.893 and running it with -v it tells there are 69 packages installed. But
>
> $ wc /etc/setup/installed.db
>    835  2504 36779 /etc/setup/installed.db
>
> and I also see all these tar files in the installation directory. This is a 32bit installation on Win10 64bit.
>
> What is going on, how can I debug this?

69 packages seems a minimal installation.
May be you have more than one Cygwin installed ?

Double check the proposed installation directory from setup

Regards
Marco

---

* RE: Setup missing installed packages
@ 2018-10-23  8:55 ` Lemke, Michael  ST/HZA-ZIC2
From: Lemke, Michael  ST/HZA-ZIC2 @ 2018-10-23  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 10:57:46 -0700 (PDT) Marco Atzeri wrote:
>Am 22.10.2018 um 18:50 schrieb Lemke, Michael:
>> I was just about to update my Cygwin installation when setup would
>> list only a fraction of my installed packages. For instance git is
>> missing but I have it installed. setup_version is 2.893 and running
>> it with -v it tells there are 69 packages installed. But
>>
>> $ wc /etc/setup/installed.db
>>    835  2504 36779 /etc/setup/installed.db
>>
>> and I also see all these tar files in the installation directory. This
>> is a 32bit installation on Win10 64bit.
>>
>> What is going on, how can I debug this?
>>

>69 packages seems a minimal installation.
>May be you have more than one Cygwin installed ?
>
>Double check the proposed installation directory from setup

Thanks, I did and I can't find anything wrong. Where does setup.exe gets
the information from? I tried several versions, the current official one,
the new snapshot and something older I have lying around. They all do
this. They are in my distribution directory with all the Cygwin downloads
and all show the correct location of distribution directory and installation
directory. Some junk in the registry?

Thanks,
Michael

* RE: Setup missing installed packages
@ 2018-10-23  9:18   ` Lemke, Michael  ST/HZA-ZIC2
From: Lemke, Michael  ST/HZA-ZIC2 @ 2018-10-23  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 10:55 AM Michael Lemke wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 10:57:46 -0700 (PDT) Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>Am 22.10.2018 um 18:50 schrieb Lemke, Michael:
>>> I was just about to update my Cygwin installation when setup would
>>> list only a fraction of my installed packages. For instance git is
>>> missing but I have it installed. setup_version is 2.893 and running
>>> it with -v it tells there are 69 packages installed. But
>>>
>>> $ wc /etc/setup/installed.db
>>>    835  2504 36779 /etc/setup/installed.db
>>>
>>> and I also see all these tar files in the installation directory. This
>>> is a 32bit installation on Win10 64bit.
>>>
>>> What is going on, how can I debug this?
>>>

>>69 packages seems a minimal installation.
>>May be you have more than one Cygwin installed ?
>>
>>Double check the proposed installation directory from setup
>
>Thanks, I did and I can't find anything wrong. Where does setup.exe gets
>the information from? I tried several versions, the current official one,
>the new snapshot and something older I have lying around. They all do
>this. They are in my distribution directory with all the Cygwin downloads
>and all show the correct location of distribution directory and installation
>directory. Some junk in the registry?

Nevermind, I found it. setup.exe chose c:\cygwin as installation directory
which is wrong for my installation. I don't know, though, why it picked
this directory. Anyway, if I enter the correct location manually everything
is fine. Sorry for the noise.

Michael

* Re: Setup missing installed packages
@ 2018-10-23 10:24     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-10-23 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 23.10.2018 um 11:18 schrieb Lemke, Michael  ST/HZA-ZIC2:
> On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 10:55 AM Michael Lemke wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 10:57:46 -0700 (PDT) Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>> Am 22.10.2018 um 18:50 schrieb Lemke, Michael:

>>> Double check the proposed installation directory from setup
>>
>> Thanks, I did and I can't find anything wrong. Where does setup.exe gets
>> the information from? I tried several versions, the current official one,
>> the new snapshot and something older I have lying around. They all do
>> this. They are in my distribution directory with all the Cygwin downloads
>> and all show the correct location of distribution directory and installation
>> directory. Some junk in the registry?
>
> Nevermind, I found it. setup.exe chose c:\cygwin as installation directory
> which is wrong for my installation. I don't know, though, why it picked
> this directory. Anyway, if I enter the correct location manually everything
> is fine. Sorry for the noise.
>
> Michael

c:\cygwin is the default for 32 bit installation.

---

* Re: RE: Setup missing installed packages
@ 2018-10-23 11:47     ` Houder
From: Houder @ 2018-10-23 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 10:55 AM Michael Lemke wrote:
[snip]

> Thanks, I did and I can't find anything wrong. Where does setup.exe gets
> the information from? I tried several versions, the current official one,
> the new snapshot and something older I have lying around. They all do
> this. They are in my distribution directory with all the Cygwin downloads
> and all show the correct location of distribution directory
> and installation directory. Some junk in the registry?

uhm ...

Data stored in the registry (Cygwin_root, local_repo):

For a 32-bits instance of Cygwin,
    see HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygwin

For a 64-bits instance of Cygwin,
    see HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cygwin

.. but if you are using a fixed location for your Cygwin_root and
for your local_repo (distribution directory), why not:

 - create a shortcut to the setup executable ...
 - and add -n -R x:/your_root -l x:/_your_local_repo as arguments
   to the invocation of the executable
   ( x = your drive letter)

and force yourself to use that shortcut?

That would override any default (either by the setup executable or
by you in the past).

.. and save you the trouble of posting to this list.

Regards,
Henri

* Re: RE: Setup missing installed packages
@ 2018-10-23 11:51       ` Houder
From: Houder @ 2018-10-23 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sorry.

@ 2018-10-23 17:35   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-10-23 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lemke, Michael  ST/HZA-ZIC2, cygwin

Greetings, Lemke, Michael  ST/HZA-ZIC2!

>>> I was just about to update my Cygwin installation when setup would
>>> list only a fraction of my installed packages. For instance git is
>>> missing but I have it installed. setup_version is 2.893 and running
>>> it with -v it tells there are 69 packages installed. But
>>>
>>> $ wc /etc/setup/installed.db
>>>    835  2504 36779 /etc/setup/installed.db
>>>
>>> and I also see all these tar files in the installation directory. This
>>> is a 32bit installation on Win10 64bit.
>>>
>>> What is going on, how can I debug this?
>>>

>>69 packages seems a minimal installation.
>>May be you have more than one Cygwin installed ?
>>
>>Double check the proposed installation directory from setup

> Thanks, I did and I can't find anything wrong. Where does setup.exe gets
> the information from? I tried several versions, the current official one,
> the new snapshot and something older I have lying around. They all do
> this. They are in my distribution directory with all the Cygwin downloads
> and all show the correct location of distribution directory and installation
> directory. Some junk in the registry?

did you try

?

--