* Compilation continuously increases (non) paged pool memory usage
@ 2015-12-29  1:12 xnor
From: xnor @ 2015-12-29  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I've noticed on my system (Windows 10, Cygwin64) that a simple
./configure && make of a typical project increases the memory usage,
both paged and non-paged pool.

After the configure/make is done this memory continues to be used. In
task manager memory usage will therefore slowly grow, depending on the
projects by up to several GB.

What is leaking here? Is it Windows' fault or Cygwin's?

* Re: Compilation continuously increases (non) paged pool memory usage
@ 2015-12-29 17:38 ` xnor
From: xnor @ 2015-12-29 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>What is leaking here?
Here are some hard numbers:
After the system booted up, nonpaged 70 MB, paged WS 208 MB.
One compilation later: nonpaged 157MB, paged WS 289 MB.
Another one later: 249 MB, 342 MB.
At the moment I'm at 550 MB nonpaged, 650 MB paged WS.

The number of system threads and handles remains about the same.
poolmon shows the main growth of nonpaged memory with tag "Proc"
(process objects) and paged with tag "Toke" (token objects).

xperf shows cygwin1.dll under Proc.

How could I debug better what is leaking here?

* Re: Compilation continuously increases (non) paged pool memory usage
@ 2015-12-29 19:50   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-12-29 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xnor, cygwin

Greetings, xnor!

>>What is leaking here?
> Here are some hard numbers:
> After the system booted up, nonpaged 70 MB, paged WS 208 MB.
> One compilation later: nonpaged 157MB, paged WS 289 MB.
> Another one later: 249 MB, 342 MB.
> At the moment I'm at 550 MB nonpaged, 650 MB paged WS.

> The number of system threads and handles remains about the same.
> poolmon shows the main growth of nonpaged memory with tag "Proc"
> (process objects) and paged with tag "Toke" (token objects).

> xperf shows cygwin1.dll under Proc.

> How could I debug better what is leaking here?

Usual suspects are BLODA. Most often, antiviruses of questionable origin and
mental sanity.
Try same tests on a separate system, or in a VM.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re[2]: Compilation continuously increases (non) paged pool memory usage
@ 2015-12-29 19:58     ` xnor
From: xnor @ 2015-12-29 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>Greetings, xnor!
Hey.

>Usual suspects are BLODA. Most often, antiviruses of questionable
>origin and
>mental sanity.
>Try same tests on a separate system, or in a VM.
That's the first thing I've checked. I don't have any anti virus/malware
or firewall or similar software installed and I've even disabled Windows
Defender.

Will do some more checks...

* Re: Compilation continuously increases (non) paged pool memory usage
@ 2015-12-30 13:22   ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2015-12-30 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xnor, cygwin list

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 7:38 PM, xnor wrote:

> What is leaking here?

> How could I debug better what is leaking here?

Have you tried looking at the memory usage of processes in Process Explorer?