* Extreme Slowness of cygwin commands [SOLVED?]
@ 2016-05-27  6:25 bzs
From: bzs @ 2016-05-27  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

(Windows 7 pro, laptop, SSD, 2.5.1(0.297/5/3))

A few weeks ago I reported extreme slowness in cygwin process
activation after a fresh install. For example something relatively
simple like 'ls' or even 'pwd' would take 15+ seconds to start.

There was no other significant activity on the system and commands
from a command shell or windows power shell started with normal speed.

It just happened again.

Rapport Trusteer Endpoint Protection was running.

It's an IBM product and various banks are beginning to require this is
running before they will let you log in to your account. Typically if
you're not running it when you try to login you'll be stopped with a
"download and install (Trusteer) now" pop-up from the bank site, it's
not something you buy or similar.

I found and clicked their Stop Trusteer Endpoint Protection via the
Start menu.

For some reason beyond my comprehension they require you enter a
captcha but ok no big deal. A popup telling you they are stopping it
lingers for a couple of minutes.

When that popup disappears I went into Task Manager as Administrator,
located Rapport Management Service (something close to that, only
Rapport thing running) and did a right-click end-process.

Slowness immediately disappeared.

I can't say for certain it's related, maybe some other process let go
of something while I was fiddling, but this is the second time this
has worked.

Perhaps someone with more time than I have can try installing
Trusteer, I believe anyone can get it here:

  https://www.trusteer.com/en/support/rapport-windows-start-menu

and reproduce this: Slowing down cygwin a lot while not interfering
with other windows activities and perhaps figure out why.

Unfortunately the interference seems intermittant. It was running for
at least a week before this incident and I hadn't noticed any slowdown
until just now. I do type into a cygwin window probably a few times
per hour when working.

Perhaps someone at IBM could take an interest but likely they'd want
more analysis.

At any rate that's the workaround: Stop Trusteer, see if it helps.

   Security: Because you have nothing better to do with your time!

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs@TheWorld.com             | http://www.TheWorld.com

* Re: Extreme Slowness of cygwin commands [SOLVED?]
@ 2016-05-27  7:42 ` Ben Altman
From: Ben Altman @ 2016-05-27  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/26/2016 6:03 PM, bzs@THEWORLD.COM wrote:
> (Windows 7 pro, laptop, SSD, 2.5.1(0.297/5/3))
>
> A few weeks ago I reported extreme slowness in cygwin process
> activation after a fresh install. For example something relatively
> simple like 'ls' or even 'pwd' would take 15+ seconds to start.
>
> There was no other significant activity on the system and commands
> from a command shell or windows power shell started with normal speed.
>
> It just happened again.
>
> Rapport Trusteer Endpoint Protection was running.
>
> It's an IBM product and various banks are beginning to require this is
> running before they will let you log in to your account. Typically if
> you're not running it when you try to login you'll be stopped with a
> "download and install (Trusteer) now" pop-up from the bank site, it's
> not something you buy or similar.
>
> I found and clicked their Stop Trusteer Endpoint Protection via the
> Start menu.
>
> For some reason beyond my comprehension they require you enter a
> captcha but ok no big deal. A popup telling you they are stopping it
> lingers for a couple of minutes.
>
> When that popup disappears I went into Task Manager as Administrator,
> located Rapport Management Service (something close to that, only
> Rapport thing running) and did a right-click end-process.
>
> Slowness immediately disappeared.
>
> I can't say for certain it's related, maybe some other process let go
> of something while I was fiddling, but this is the second time this
> has worked.
>
> Perhaps someone with more time than I have can try installing
> Trusteer, I believe anyone can get it here:
>
>    https://www.trusteer.com/en/support/rapport-windows-start-menu
>
> and reproduce this: Slowing down cygwin a lot while not interfering
> with other windows activities and perhaps figure out why.
>
> Unfortunately the interference seems intermittant. It was running for
> at least a week before this incident and I hadn't noticed any slowdown
> until just now. I do type into a cygwin window probably a few times
> per hour when working.
>
> Perhaps someone at IBM could take an interest but likely they'd want
> more analysis.
>
> At any rate that's the workaround: Stop Trusteer, see if it helps.

I also have Rapport Trusteer installed from BoA with Firefox and have
not had the problem when using it. On the other hand in my case I may
have discovered a connection with Softerra laimex command line utility.
A script which uses it on a desktop has the slowness issue whenever the
script is run (after sqlcmd and laimex has completed, the issues surface
for the rest of the script). I was unable to set up my script on a
laptop in part due to the need of the use of a VPN and because the IP
addresses I was given were not "private" (for unknown reasons as it
should have worked either way just like on my desktop that had the
slowness issue). Once I replaced all of them with the "private" one's I
was given, laimex worked to get the data I needed. A week later (today),
I check the PC that was giving me problems and it was running smoothly
without the issue happening and this coincided with me updating my
config file with the updated IP addresses. There are still some puzzling
things, like why this all started after an update to Cygwin. What I need
to do now is to set up a test config file with the old addresses and see
if I am forced to reboot the desktop due to the slowness. The thing is
that when running Softerra LDAP Administrator and getting data through
the GUI, it was never an issue.

Ben

* Re: Extreme Slowness of cygwin commands [SOLVED?]
@ 2016-05-28 10:05   ` bzs
From: bzs @ 2016-05-28 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Altman; +Cc: cygwin

As I said the slowdown was intermittant, Rapport had been running at
least a week or so before the slowdown started which didn't affect for
example cmd or power shell only cygwin that I noticed.

But when I stopped Rapport the slowdown (15+ second process
activation) disappeared instantly.

Needs more investigation but maybe this will help someone else, if I
can save just one child...

--

@ 2016-05-28 12:10     ` Ben Altman
From: Ben Altman @ 2016-05-28 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bzs; +Cc: cygwin

On 5/27/2016 3:58 PM, bzs@theworld.com wrote:
> As I said the slowdown was intermittant, Rapport had been running at
> least a week or so before the slowdown started which didn't affect for
> example cmd or power shell only cygwin that I noticed.
>
> But when I stopped Rapport the slowdown (15+ second process
> activation) disappeared instantly.
>
> Needs more investigation but maybe this will help someone else, if I
> can save just one child...

I understand and I am not disagreeing with your observations, but in my
case, and I failed to mention that I have had Rapport installed for
years now, I have not experienced that behavior as you have. Though, I
am planning on putting the configuration file of my script back next
week to see if that was what caused the behavior on my system. I will
try killing Rapport and see if that affects the situation now that you
have mentioned it.

Ben

* Re: Extreme Slowness of cygwin commands [SOLVED?]
@ 2016-08-29 12:06       ` Ben Altman
From: Ben Altman @ 2016-08-29 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bzs; +Cc: cygwin

On 5/27/2016 4:13 PM, Ben Altman wrote:
> On 5/27/2016 3:58 PM, bzs@theworld.com wrote:
>> As I said the slowdown was intermittant, Rapport had been running at
>> least a week or so before the slowdown started which didn't affect for
>> example cmd or power shell only cygwin that I noticed.
>>
>> But when I stopped Rapport the slowdown (15+ second process
>> activation) disappeared instantly.
>>
>> Needs more investigation but maybe this will help someone else, if I
>> can save just one child...
>
> I understand and I am not disagreeing with your observations, but in
> my case, and I failed to mention that I have had Rapport installed for
> years now, I have not experienced that behavior as you have. Though, I
> am planning on putting the configuration file of my script back next
> week to see if that was what caused the behavior on my system. I will
> try killing Rapport and see if that affects the situation now that you
> have mentioned it.

This comes a while later but I was wrong and you were right.

I had thought since I had Rapport working with cygwin for so long
without issue that it couldn't be the source of the problem with regards
to my situation. With the update I did in cygwin something clearly had
changed causing a conflict. It took a while but I (finally)  uninstalled
Rapport Trusteer yesterday and the problem was solved. In the meanwhile
I had gone so far as to install Windows versions of the GNU utilities to
try my script without cygwin but I had to use cygwin's sort because I
couldn't work out how to use it under Windows with a different locale
and it conflicted with join with the case insensitive option unlike
under cygwin where I could just do  "LANG=en_EN sort -uf". I discovered
I could use cygwin's sort but if I used it's join while Rapport was
running my system was messed up afterwards. There were other triggers as
well, but now I am back to a normal system so thank you very much for
that advise despite the fact that I ignored it for so long.

Ben

* Re: Extreme Slowness of cygwin commands [SOLVED?]
@ 2016-08-30  7:34         ` bzs
From: bzs @ 2016-08-30  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Altman; +Cc: bzs, cygwin

On August 29, 2016 at 01:18 benalt@gmail.com (Ben Altman) wrote:

 > This comes a while later but I was wrong and you were right.

Glad to be of service.

--

@ 2016-09-01 15:57           ` Ben Altman
From: Ben Altman @ 2016-09-01 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/29/2016 3:23 PM, bzs@theworld.com wrote:
> On August 29, 2016 at 01:18 benalt@gmail.com (Ben Altman) wrote:
>   >
>   > This comes a while later but I was wrong and you were right.
>   >

> Glad to be of service.

As a follow up, I contacted Trusteer about the issue and did some basic
troubleshooting and it turns out that Rapport Cerberus, one of Rapport's
Anti-malware protection mechanisms, was the issue. Renaming all the sys
files in
C:\ProgramData\Trusteer\Rapport\store\exts\RapportCerberus\baseline and
rebooting solved the problem. In the meanwhile, they said they expect
the problem to be resolved in a future release of Rapport.

Ben

* Re: Extreme Slowness of cygwin commands [SOLVED?]
@ 2016-09-01 17:19             ` bzs
From: bzs @ 2016-09-01 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Altman; +Cc: cygwin

On September 1, 2016 at 11:56 benalt@gmail.com (Ben Altman) wrote:
 > On 8/29/2016 3:23 PM, bzs@theworld.com wrote:
 > > On August 29, 2016 at 01:18 benalt@gmail.com (Ben Altman) wrote:
 > >   >
 > >   > This comes a while later but I was wrong and you were right.
 > >   >

 > > Glad to be of service.
 >
 > As a follow up, I contacted Trusteer about the issue and did some basic
 > troubleshooting and it turns out that Rapport Cerberus, one of Rapport's
 > Anti-malware protection mechanisms, was the issue. Renaming all the sys
 > files in
 > C:\ProgramData\Trusteer\Rapport\store\exts\RapportCerberus\baseline and
 > rebooting solved the problem. In the meanwhile, they said they expect
 > the problem to be resolved in a future release of Rapport.

Good work!

I notice more and more banks are starting to either require or
recommend this package.

I've no idea what it does except in the most general terms but one of
my banks won't let me log in unless it's running so this has been
quite a nuisance as I have to stop it w/ their management interface
and then use task manager to kill their management interface which is
what seems to be the problem, etc., each time I need a bank balance.

And sometimes that stop or restart doesn't go right -- IE almost
always crashes* when it's restarted, etc. Doesn't sound like much but
20 minutes of your life going down the tubes on something that should
take 2 minutes (check a balance) gets old, fast.

* Some of my vendors only work right on IE, otherwise never use it so
everyone please save the advice :-)

--

@ 2016-09-01 17:52               ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2016-09-01 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Ben Altman

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM,  wrote:
> I've no idea what it does except in the most general terms but one of
> my banks won't let me log in unless it's running so this has been
> quite a nuisance as I have to stop it w/ their management interface
> and then use task manager to kill their management interface which is
> what seems to be the problem, etc., each time I need a bank balance.
>
> And sometimes that stop or restart doesn't go right -- IE almost
> always crashes* when it's restarted, etc. Doesn't sound like much but
> 20 minutes of your life going down the tubes on something that should
> take 2 minutes (check a balance) gets old, fast.
>
> * Some of my vendors only work right on IE, otherwise never use it so
> everyone please save the advice :-)

For me that would be a case of notifying them of said problems and
that due to said problems (I include not being able to log in from my
tails live CD boot a problem) I will be finding a new vendor, and then
do so and close my accounts with the vendor with failing software.  I
have had some of these vendors come back to me later with "We've fixed
X, please come back".

-- Erik

* Re: Extreme Slowness of cygwin commands [SOLVED?]
@ 2016-09-01 18:19                 ` bzs
                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: bzs @ 2016-09-01 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Soderquist; +Cc: cygwin, Ben Altman

On September 1, 2016 at 13:52 ErikSoderquist@gmail.com (Erik Soderquist) wrote:
 > On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM,  wrote:
 > > I've no idea what it does except in the most general terms but one of
 > > my banks won't let me log in unless it's running so this has been
 > > quite a nuisance as I have to stop it w/ their management interface
 > > and then use task manager to kill their management interface which is
 > > what seems to be the problem, etc., each time I need a bank balance.
 > >
 > > And sometimes that stop or restart doesn't go right -- IE almost
 > > always crashes* when it's restarted, etc. Doesn't sound like much but
 > > 20 minutes of your life going down the tubes on something that should
 > > take 2 minutes (check a balance) gets old, fast.
 > >
 > > * Some of my vendors only work right on IE, otherwise never use it so
 > > everyone please save the advice :-)
 >

 > For me that would be a case of notifying them of said problems and
 > that due to said problems (I include not being able to log in from my
 > tails live CD boot a problem) I will be finding a new vendor, and then
 > do so and close my accounts with the vendor with failing software.  I
 > have had some of these vendors come back to me later with "We've fixed
 > X, please come back".

All fine advice.

I have spoken to the bank involved numerous times but never got past a
very chipper, helpful person who is ready to show me how to start/stop
the software, listens to my problem (slowness) politely and then goes
back into their technical support dance. And is so many paygrades
below taking a general complaint it just sounds like I'm out to foul
their air. Frankly they probably suspect I don't know what I'm talking
about (probably not their software, what is "cygwin"? we can't be
responsible for your third-party apps speak to them if that's what
you're having problems with, etc.)

Also, the accts affected so far are business accts with various other
relationships so it's not quite as easy as walking down the block and
opening another acct w/ another bank tho it's not impossible and I am
looking into it, just spoke w/ another bank about taking it all over.

But, if one can, I do recommend if your bank starts requiring this
Rapport software change banks.

Maybe some day they'll fix it but until then it's just a headache.

And other than "IBM sold it to them" one never gets a straight answer
on why they even require this software. Again, that decision is too
many paygrades up for them to speculate about beyond "it improves
security".

--

@ 2016-09-01 18:28                   ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2016-09-01 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 2:18 PM,  bzs wrote:
> I have spoken to the bank involved numerous times but never got past a
> very chipper, helpful person who is ready to show me how to start/stop
> the software, listens to my problem (slowness) politely and then goes
> back into their technical support dance. And is so many paygrades
> below taking a general complaint it just sounds like I'm out to foul
> their air. Frankly they probably suspect I don't know what I'm talking
> about (probably not their software, what is "cygwin"? we can't be
> responsible for your third-party apps speak to them if that's what
> you're having problems with, etc.)

Take it publicly to social media; I've received excellent results with
complaints about "getting the run around and finger pointing" on
twitter when the private support lines run into such walls.

> Also, the accts affected so far are business accts with various other
> relationships so it's not quite as easy as walking down the block and
> opening another acct w/ another bank tho it's not impossible and I am
> looking into it, just spoke w/ another bank about taking it all over.

That does complicate things a lot... best of luck there...

> And other than "IBM sold it to them" one never gets a straight answer
> on why they even require this software. Again, that decision is too
> many paygrades up for them to speculate about beyond "it improves
> security".

That also warrants public social media attention; "it improves
security" doesn't cut the mustard without details on how.

-- Erik

* Re: Extreme Slowness of cygwin commands [SOLVED?]
@ 2016-09-01 18:37                   ` Alan Dobkin
From: Alan Dobkin @ 2016-09-01 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

FWIW, I've had many similar bad experiences with Trusteer Rapport. It
has nothing to do with Cygwin. It is a terrible buggy piece of software,
and sadly a number of large banks require it for their customers. IBM
should be highly embarrassed by all the trouble it has caused under
their name. The only solution I've found is to either install it on a
dedicated computer used only for the bank software, or set up a virtual
machine for the same purpose.

Here are some references for more information:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/trusteerrapport-end-point-protection-warning/32ccc761-2d20-423e-ad84-5887c79fe3cc?auth=1

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/334434-so-trusteer-rapport-yea-or-nay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusteer

@ 2016-09-01 18:59                   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2016-09-01 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2016-09-01 12:18, bzs@TheWorld.com wrote:
> On September 1, 2016 at 13:52 ErikSoderquist@gmail.com (Erik Soderquist) wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM,  wrote:
>>> I've no idea what it does except in the most general terms but one of
>>> my banks won't let me log in unless it's running so this has been
>>> quite a nuisance as I have to stop it w/ their management interface
>>> and then use task manager to kill their management interface which is
>>> what seems to be the problem, etc., each time I need a bank balance.
>>> And sometimes that stop or restart doesn't go right -- IE almost
>>> always crashes* when it's restarted, etc. Doesn't sound like much but
>>> 20 minutes of your life going down the tubes on something that should
>>> take 2 minutes (check a balance) gets old, fast.
>>> * Some of my vendors only work right on IE, otherwise never use it so
>>> everyone please save the advice :-)
>> For me that would be a case of notifying them of said problems and
>> that due to said problems (I include not being able to log in from my
>> tails live CD boot a problem) I will be finding a new vendor, and then
>> do so and close my accounts with the vendor with failing software.  I
>> have had some of these vendors come back to me later with "We've fixed
>> X, please come back".
> All fine advice.
> I have spoken to the bank involved numerous times but never got past a
> very chipper, helpful person who is ready to show me how to start/stop
> the software, listens to my problem (slowness) politely and then goes
> back into their technical support dance. And is so many paygrades
> below taking a general complaint it just sounds like I'm out to foul
> their air. Frankly they probably suspect I don't know what I'm talking
> about (probably not their software, what is "cygwin"? we can't be
> responsible for your third-party apps speak to them if that's what
> you're having problems with, etc.)
> Also, the accts affected so far are business accts with various other
> relationships so it's not quite as easy as walking down the block and
> opening another acct w/ another bank tho it's not impossible and I am
> looking into it, just spoke w/ another bank about taking it all over.
> But, if one can, I do recommend if your bank starts requiring this
> Rapport software change banks.
> Maybe some day they'll fix it but until then it's just a headache.
> And other than "IBM sold it to them" one never gets a straight answer
> on why they even require this software. Again, that decision is too
> many paygrades up for them to speculate about beyond "it improves
> security".

If you have a security issue, ask to speak to their security group:
banks, telcos, utilities, they all have folks who can address and
escalate these issues, with your documentation of interaction with
the vendor, and maybe get a fixed release for you, giventhe business
and performance impact, and the other bank being considered ;^>

Technical reviews of the package concur that it is just another
malware blocker, but more intrusive than some others: check the
BLODA list for the other intrusive packages, a number of which
I have used and deinstalled because of (not just Cygwin) failures
and severe performance impacts in general.

P.S. Trusteer Rapport Cerberus is not yet on the BLODA list [hint]

[FAQ 4.45 What applications have been found to interfere with Cygwin?
https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda]