* Regression with gnu screen: Scrollbar gone between 4.02 and 4.03
@ 2015-10-03 17:05 Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2015-10-03 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

To reproduce:
  1) Update screen package to current (4.03) version;
  2) Run screen inside mintty;
  3) Generate enough text to fill the screen and start scrolling
  4) Click in the scrollbar, or use the mousewheel
Desired effect
  Scrolling
Observed effect
  Nothing, wrt scrollbar; history review, wrt mousewheel

Reverting to 4.02 fixes the problem.

Expermentation suggests this does _not_ arise because of the small
change in the default screenrc between 4.02 and 4.03, as just
reverting that change does not solve the problem, and reverting to the
4.02 .exe _does_ solve the problem regardless of which screenrc is
used.

mintty version 2.1.5, Cygwin1.dll 2.2.1, 64-bit

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk

* Re: Regression with gnu screen: Scrollbar gone between 4.02 and 4.03
@ 2015-10-05 19:38 ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-10-05 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> To reproduce:
>   1) Update screen package to current (4.03) version;
>   2) Run screen inside mintty;
>   3) Generate enough text to fill the screen and start scrolling
>   4) Click in the scrollbar, or use the mousewheel
> Desired effect
>   Scrolling
> Observed effect
>   Nothing, wrt scrollbar; history review, wrt mousewheel
>
> Reverting to 4.02 fixes the problem.
>
> Expermentation suggests this does _not_ arise because of the small
> change in the default screenrc between 4.02 and 4.03, as just
> reverting that change does not solve the problem, and reverting to the
> 4.02 .exe _does_ solve the problem regardless of which screenrc is
> used.
>
> mintty version 2.1.5, Cygwin1.dll 2.2.1, 64-bit

Thanks for reporting.  Hm, I guess I never noticed this because I didn't
consider it a problem.  The observed behavior works for me.

But if this is a bug, I have no idea what caused it.  If it were changes in
termcap/terminfo entries in /etc/screenrc, someone would have to decode the
entries to figure it out - something I avoid.  Otherwise someone will need
to do some bisection to find the commit that introduced it.

Any help would be appreciated on that.  It would also be a good idea to
report it to screeen-users@gnu.org.

Andrew

* Re: Regression with gnu screen: Scrollbar gone between 4.02 and 4.03
@ 2015-10-05 22:14   ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2015-10-05 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew Schulman writes:

> But if this is a bug, I have no idea what caused it.  If it were changes in
> termcap/terminfo entries in /etc/screenrc, someone would have to decode the
> entries to figure it out - something I avoid.

No changes in the termcap entry, except something commented out, but
as I said, doesn't seem to be implicated.

> Otherwise someone will need to do some bisection to find the commit
> that introduced it.

> Any help would be appreciated on that.  It would also be a good idea to
> report it to screeen-users@gnu.org.

I'll see if I can reproduce on Linux -- I don't immediately have
access to a very up-to-date version of screen there. . .

@ 2015-10-06 13:14     ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2015-10-06 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ht writes:

> Andrew Schulman writes:
>
>> But if this is a bug, I have no idea what caused it.  If it were changes in
>> termcap/terminfo entries in /etc/screenrc, someone would have to decode the
>> entries to figure it out - something I avoid.
>
> No changes in the termcap entry, except something commented out, but
> as I said, doesn't seem to be implicated.

And I've now acquired various of the upstream sources, and there has
been no change to the screenrc there for many years.

>> Otherwise someone will need to do some bisection to find the commit
>> that introduced it.

Remind me what repo to look in for screen?

>> Any help would be appreciated on that.  It would also be a good idea to
>> report it to screeen-users@gnu.org.
>
> I'll see if I can reproduce on Linux -- I don't immediately have
> access to a very up-to-date version of screen there. . .

No, I can't reproduce it.  None of upstream 4.1.0, 4.2.0, 4.2.1, 4.3.0 or
4.3.1 have the problem on Linux.

@ 2015-10-07 18:41       ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-10-07 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> >> Otherwise someone will need to do some bisection to find the commit
> >> that introduced it.
>
> Remind me what repo to look in for screen?

See https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=screen.

* Re: Regression with gnu screen: Scrollbar gone between 4.02 and 4.03
@ 2015-10-09 17:53         ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2015-10-09 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew Schulman writes:

> [...]

So, bizarrely, here's what I have found.

The distributed screen 4.3 binary has the problem (no scrollbar, etc.)
The distributed screen 4.2 binary does not have the problem
Installing the 4.2 src package, running cygport and running the result
does not have the problem
Installing the 4.3 src package, running cygport and running the result
_does not have the problem_.

This despite the fact that (by chance, as you will see in a moment) the
distributed and locally-built 4.3 binaries are the same size.

But they are not in fact identical, and the visible differences, per
"strings", is as follows:

  > diff -bw /tmp/os.strings /tmp/ns.strings
  1355d1354
  < L;%9
  3236c3235
  < termcap
  ---
  > terminfo
  3520c3519
  < Cannot find termcap entry for '%s'.
  ---
  > Cannot find terminfo entry for '%s'.
  3528,3529c3527,3528
  < [3%dm
  < [4%dm
  ---
  > [3%p1%dm
  > [4%p1%dm
  3535a3535
  > (%p1%c
  3937,3938c3937,3938
  < [9%dm
  < [10%dm
  ---
  > [9%p1%dm
  > [10%p1%dm
  4319c4319
  < RSDS0
  ---
  > RSDS

This is at least _suggestive_ that your compilation environment and mine
are in some way different.

Does

  #define TERMINFO 1

occur in your build/config.h ?

@ 2015-10-17 16:16           ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-10-17 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> This is at least _suggestive_ that your compilation environment and mine
> are in some way different.
>
> Does
>
>   #define TERMINFO 1
>
> occur in your build/config.h ?

Henry, thanks for working to track this down.  I went back and looked and I did
find one problem:  because of an error in the cygport file, a patch that Shaddy
Baddah developed to fix a scrolling screen corruption bug
(http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-05/msg00331.html) wasn't being applied.  The
effect of the patch is to use terminfo, instead of termcap.  This certainly
seems as though it might also fix the scrolling problem.

So I just uploaded a new test release, 4.3.1-2, that includes the patch.  With
the patch applied, yes I do have

    #define TERMINFO 1

However in my testing the scrollbar is still missing.  Please test the new
release yourself, and let me know what you find.

Andrew

* Re: Regression with gnu screen: Scrollbar gone between 4.02 and 4.03
@ 2015-10-17 16:42             ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-10-17 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> So I just uploaded a new test release, 4.3.1-2, that includes the patch.

BTW that patch and the test release are for x86_64 only.  IIRC the bug didn't
occur in i686, but I'd have to look back at it to be sure.

* Re: Regression with gnu screen: Scrollbar gone between 4.02 and 4.03
@ 2015-10-18  8:58             ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2015-10-18  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew Schulman <schulman.andrew@epa.gov> writes:

> So I just uploaded a new test release, 4.3.1-2, that includes the patch.  With
> the patch applied, yes I do have
>
>     #define TERMINFO 1
>
> However in my testing the scrollbar is still missing.  Please test the new
> release yourself, and let me know what you find.

Works for me, very brief test. Will explore further.

@ 2015-10-19  7:56               ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2015-10-19  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ht writes:

> Andrew Schulman <schulman.andrew@epa.gov> writes:
>
>> So I just uploaded a new test release, 4.3.1-2, that includes the patch.  With
>> the patch applied, yes I do have
>>
>>     #define TERMINFO 1
>>
>> However in my testing the scrollbar is still missing.  Please test the new
>> release yourself, and let me know what you find.
>
> Works for me, very brief test. Will explore further.

As far as I can tell this is now very nearly identical to the version I
compiled locally, and it does fix the scrollbar problem.  Thank you!

@ 2015-10-19 14:45                 ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-10-19 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> ht writes:
>
> > Andrew Schulman <schulman.andrew@epa.gov> writes:
> >
> >> So I just uploaded a new test release, 4.3.1-2, that includes the patch.  With
> >> the patch applied, yes I do have
> >>
> >>     #define TERMINFO 1
> >>
> >> However in my testing the scrollbar is still missing.  Please test the new
> >> release yourself, and let me know what you find.
> >
> > Works for me, very brief test. Will explore further.
>
> As far as I can tell this is now very nearly identical to the version I
> compiled locally, and it does fix the scrollbar problem.  Thank you!

Good, thanks for testing.  I'll move this release up to current.  Andrew