* missing poppler and openjpeg packages on mirrors
@ 2017-08-16 22:56 Isaac Hanson
From: Isaac Hanson @ 2017-08-16 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It seems that some packages have recently gone missing from many
cygwin mirrors.  Specifically, I have noticed all the poppler and
openjpeg packages are gone, while still in the setup.ini and
dependencies of other packages.

setup.exe reports "HTTP status 404 fetching" and lists the URL to the
package, for example,
"http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com/x86_64/release/poppler/libpoppler66/libpoppler66-0.52.0-1.tar.xz"

Any help would be appreciated.

Isaac

* Re: missing poppler and openjpeg packages on mirrors
@ 2017-08-17  1:46 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2017-08-17  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/16/2017 05:56 PM, Isaac Hanson wrote:
> It seems that some packages have recently gone missing from many
> cygwin mirrors.  Specifically, I have noticed all the poppler and
> openjpeg packages are gone, while still in the setup.ini and
> dependencies of other packages.
>
> setup.exe reports "HTTP status 404 fetching" and lists the URL to the
> package, for example,
> "http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com/x86_64/release/poppler/libpoppler66/libpoppler66-0.52.0-1.tar.xz"
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

As posted earlier on the list:

sourceware.org is having some fallout from a hardware upgrade (see [1]).

Some things got restored from backup.  Work is ongoing.

[1] https://www.sourceware.org/ml/overseers/2017-q3/msg00060.html

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266

* Re: missing poppler and openjpeg packages on mirrors
@ 2017-08-17 12:25   ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-08-17 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: overseers

On 8/16/2017 9:46 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 08/16/2017 05:56 PM, Isaac Hanson wrote:
>> It seems that some packages have recently gone missing from many
>> cygwin mirrors.  Specifically, I have noticed all the poppler and
>> openjpeg packages are gone, while still in the setup.ini and
>> dependencies of other packages.
>>
>> setup.exe reports "HTTP status 404 fetching" and lists the URL to the
>> package, for example,
>> "http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com/x86_64/release/poppler/libpoppler66/libpoppler66-0.52.0-1.tar.xz"
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> As posted earlier on the list:

I don't remember such a post on _this_ list.

> sourceware.org is having some fallout from a hardware upgrade (see [1]).
>
> Some things got restored from backup.  Work is ongoing.
>
> [1] https://www.sourceware.org/ml/overseers/2017-q3/msg00060.html

Wouldn't it be easier to move the DNS to point sourceware.org to the IP
of sourceware2.org until the mess is fixed?  Once the repair is complete
the DNS can move back to the original IP.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: missing poppler and openjpeg packages on mirrors
@ 2017-08-17 13:35   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-08-17 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17/08/2017 02:46, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 08/16/2017 05:56 PM, Isaac Hanson wrote:
>> It seems that some packages have recently gone missing from many
>> cygwin mirrors.  Specifically, I have noticed all the poppler and
>> openjpeg packages are gone, while still in the setup.ini and
>> dependencies of other packages.
>>
>> setup.exe reports "HTTP status 404 fetching" and lists the URL to the
>> package, for example,
>> "http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com/x86_64/release/poppler/libpoppler66/libpoppler66-0.52.0-1.tar.xz"
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> As posted earlier on the list:
>
> sourceware.org is having some fallout from a hardware upgrade (see [1]).
>
> Some things got restored from backup.  Work is ongoing.
>
> [1] https://www.sourceware.org/ml/overseers/2017-q3/msg00060.html

Thanks for pointing this out.

I've restored x86_64/poppler and openjpeg from backup, so they should
mirror out again.

I'm working on identifying anything else that's gone missing, but please
point out anything else you notice...

* Re: missing poppler and openjpeg packages on mirrors
@ 2017-08-17 13:40     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-08-17 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17/08/2017 13:24, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 8/16/2017 9:46 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 08/16/2017 05:56 PM, Isaac Hanson wrote:
>>> It seems that some packages have recently gone missing from many
>>> cygwin mirrors.  Specifically, I have noticed all the poppler and
>>> openjpeg packages are gone, while still in the setup.ini and
>>> dependencies of other packages.
>>>
>>> setup.exe reports "HTTP status 404 fetching" and lists the URL to the
>>> package, for example,
>>> "http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com/x86_64/release/poppler/libpoppler66/libpoppler66-0.52.0-1.tar.xz"
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> As posted earlier on the list:
>
> I don't remember such a post on _this_ list.

>> sourceware.org is having some fallout from a hardware upgrade (see [1]).
>>
>> Some things got restored from backup.  Work is ongoing.
>>
>> [1] https://www.sourceware.org/ml/overseers/2017-q3/msg00060.html
>>

> Wouldn't it be easier to move the DNS to point sourceware.org to the IP
> of sourceware2.org until the mess is fixed?  Once the repair is complete
> the DNS can move back to the original IP.

sourceware2 is the pathname for a hot backup, not a hostname.

The reasons for not rolling back to that backup completely are outlined
in the linked mail.

* Re: missing poppler and openjpeg packages on mirrors
@ 2017-08-17 16:31     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-08-17 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-08-17 07:35, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 17/08/2017 02:46, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 08/16/2017 05:56 PM, Isaac Hanson wrote:
>>> It seems that some packages have recently gone missing from many
>>> cygwin mirrors.  Specifically, I have noticed all the poppler and
>>> openjpeg packages are gone, while still in the setup.ini and
>>> dependencies of other packages.
>>>
>>> setup.exe reports "HTTP status 404 fetching" and lists the URL to the
>>> package, for example,
>>> "http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com/x86_64/release/poppler/libpoppler66/libpoppler66-0.52.0-1.tar.xz"
>>>

>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> As posted earlier on the list:
>>
>> sourceware.org is having some fallout from a hardware upgrade (see [1]).
>>
>> Some things got restored from backup.  Work is ongoing.
>>
>> [1] https://www.sourceware.org/ml/overseers/2017-q3/msg00060.html
>
> Thanks for pointing this out.
>
> I've restored x86_64/poppler and openjpeg from backup, so they should mirror out
> again.
>
> I'm working on identifying anything else that's gone missing, but please point
> out anything else you notice...

x86/setup.* x86/*.sum still showing as of the 10th on Canadian mirrors including
unadvertised mirrors and release/package directories updated after expat vary,
also between x86 and x86_64.

https://sourceware.org/lists.html does not include -announce, -apps, -patches.

* Re: missing poppler and openjpeg packages on mirrors
@ 2017-08-17 18:42       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-08-17 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17/08/2017 17:31, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2017-08-17 07:35, Jon Turney wrote:

>>> As posted earlier on the list:
>>>
>>> sourceware.org is having some fallout from a hardware upgrade (see [1]).
>>>
>>> Some things got restored from backup.  Work is ongoing.
>>>
>>> [1] https://www.sourceware.org/ml/overseers/2017-q3/msg00060.html
>>
>> Thanks for pointing this out.
>>
>> I've restored x86_64/poppler and openjpeg from backup, so they should mirror out
>> again.
>>
>> I'm working on identifying anything else that's gone missing, but please point
>> out anything else you notice...

Um, I guess I meant to write "anything else you notice is missing"...

> x86/setup.* x86/*.sum still showing as of the 10th on Canadian mirrors including
> unadvertised mirrors and release/package directories updated after expat vary,
> also between x86 and x86_64.

Anyhow, everything should now be back in place and up to date, once the
mirrors catch up.

> https://sourceware.org/lists.html does not include -announce, -apps, -patches.

I think this is just a static html page, and I don't think it ever did
mention those lists, see:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170606044742/https://sourceware.org/lists.html