* Cygwin/X does not seem to work on Windows 10
@ 2019-06-04 11:52 Ronald Fischer
From: Ronald Fischer @ 2019-06-04 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

What I did:

- Installed all the packages, as described in https://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/setup.html
- Started XLaunch
- Selected "Multiple Window" and "Start no client", to start the X Server
- Clicked on "Fertig stellen" (= finish).
- Using mintty, I started a cygwin shell (zsh).
- Inside this shell, I tried a

    xterm &

which, not surprisingly, resulted into:

   xterm: Xt error: Can't open display:
   xterm: DISPLAY is not set

and then a

    DISPLAY=:0.0 xterm &

which also produced an error message:

   xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0

Interestingly, there is an X-Icon in the notification area, and when I hover over it, the tooltip says "Cygwin/X Servre: 0.0", but when I right-click on this icon, no context menu appears.

When I do a double-LEFT-click on this icon, the icon disappears completely.

I then opened the Task Manager, but could not find any process where the name hinted that an X server would be running.

Ronald