* Slow cygwin programs on Windows
@ 2023-06-26 17:48 Derek Pagel
From: Derek Pagel @ 2023-06-26 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

We are seeing more instances of application slowness due to Cygwin programs like 'cp' and 'mv' being executed. The files being 'cp' or 'mv' are not very big and they stay on the same server. We have installed Cygserver which has improved things a little bit but there are still many cases of slowness afterwards. We've been seeing most issues after moving to Windows 2019. Has anyone else encountered a similar issue?

* Re: Slow cygwin programs on Windows
@ 2023-06-27  2:49 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-06-27  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Derek Pagel

On 2023-06-26 11:48, Derek Pagel via Cygwin wrote:
> We are seeing more instances of application slowness due to Cygwin programs
like 'cp' and 'mv' being executed. The files being 'cp' or 'mv' are not very big
and they stay on the same server. We have installed Cygserver which has improved
things a little bit but there are still many cases of slowness afterwards. We've
been seeing most issues after moving to Windows 2019. Has anyone else
encountered a similar issue?

Do you mean Win Server 2019 or W10 1904/19H1/1909/19H2?
Helps if you show at least the output from:

	$ uname -srvmo

so we can see your Cygwin and Windows releases.

Try running the same slow commands under strace e.g.

	$ strace -o cp-strace.out cp ...

and attach those outputs and

	$ cygcheck -hrsv > cygcheck.out

as text, and someone may be able to help you diagnose any issues.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry