* Searching manpages for option codes, e.g. "--all"
@ 2011-11-29 21:49 carolus
From: carolus @ 2011-11-29 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

After opening "man ls", trying to search for "--all" leads to
"Pattern not found (press RETURN)".

Inquiring on comp.unix.shell, I was told that for this kind of search to
work properly in linux , one must set PAGER=less. However, that does not
seem to work in Cygwin, at least using the old default terminal. Is
there a workaround?

* Re: Searching manpages for option codes, e.g. "--all"
@ 2011-11-29 22:42 ` Tim McDaniel
From: Tim McDaniel @ 2011-11-29 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011, carolus wrote:
> After opening "man ls", trying to search for "--all" leads to
> "Pattern not found (press RETURN)".

My experiment agrees with that.  Do you know why that happens -- what
is it doing so "/--all" doesn't work?

> Inquiring on comp.unix.shell, I was told that for this kind of
> search to work properly in linux , one must set PAGER=less. However,
> that does not seem to work in Cygwin, at least using the old default
> terminal. Is there a workaround?

Whether in an older default terminal or the new one, I've never had a
problem with
     PAGER=/usr/bin/less
     export PAGER
I do them as separate statements because older Bourne shells do not
allow the combined form
     export PAGER=/usr/bin/less
But bash does.

Further, on my system with little customization, the default man pager
is less anyway, so (for example)
     man ls
invokes less anyway.

--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd@panix.com

* Re: Searching manpages for option codes, e.g. "--all"
@ 2011-11-29 23:10   ` carolus
From: carolus @ 2011-11-29 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/29/2011 3:56 PM, Tim McDaniel wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011, carolus wrote:
>> After opening "man ls", trying to search for "--all" leads to
>> "Pattern not found (press RETURN)".
>
> My experiment agrees with that. Do you know why that happens -- what
> is it doing so "/--all" doesn't work?

No idea.  Apparently "man" invokes $PAGER, and in linux, "less" works as
desired and "more" does not.  If you look at the .1 file, the option
codes are scrambled with a lot of formatting codes that must be stripped
out or ignored for search to work.

> Whether in an older default terminal or the new one, I've never had a
> problem with
> PAGER=/usr/bin/less
> export PAGER

You can set it, but that doesn't help.

> Further, on my system with little customization, the default man pager
> is less anyway, so (for example)
> man ls
> invokes less anyway.

Which explains why setting PAGER doesn't help in Cygwin.

* Re: Searching manpages for option codes, e.g. "--all"
@ 2011-11-29 23:18 ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2011-11-29 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2011-11-29, carolus wrote:
> After opening "man ls", trying to search for "--all" leads to
> "Pattern not found (press RETURN)".
>
> Inquiring on comp.unix.shell, I was told that for this kind of
> search to work properly in linux , one must set PAGER=less. However,
> that does not seem to work in Cygwin, at least using the old default
> terminal. Is there a workaround?

As I recall, that was a problem shortly after Cygwin 1.7 was
released.  Man pages were being formatted with some sort of Unicode
hyphen or dash character in place of the ASCII hyphen.  It hasn't
been a problem recently, though, and it works fine for me, in both
the old Cygwin console and in mintty.

    cygwin 1.7.9-1
    less     444-1
    man     1.6g-1

    Windows XP Professional 2002 SP3

Regards,
Gary

* Re: Searching manpages for option codes, e.g. "--all"
@ 2011-11-29 23:49   ` carolus
From: carolus @ 2011-11-29 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/29/2011 5:13 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
  Man pages were being formatted with some sort of Unicode
> hyphen or dash character in place of the ASCII hyphen.

Not sure that is the same problem.  What happens if you search for --all
in man ls? For me, the display looks OK, but the search doesn't work.

* Re: Searching manpages for option codes, e.g. "--all"
@ 2011-11-30  2:29     ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2011-11-30  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2011-11-29, carolus wrote:
> On 11/29/2011 5:13 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
>  Man pages were being formatted with some sort of Unicode
> >hyphen or dash character in place of the ASCII hyphen.
>
> Not sure that is the same problem.  What happens if you search for
> --all in man ls? For me, the display looks OK, but the search
> doesn't work.

The display scrolls so that the line

    -a, --all

is at the top of the screen and the string "--a" is highlighted in
reverse video in that line and in the lines

    -A, --almost-all

and

    --author

Typing 'n' scrolls the display so that the "-A, --almost-all" line
is at the top.

Does searching for a string that doesn't include hyphens work?
E.g.,

    /all

Regards,
Gary

* Re: Searching manpages for option codes, e.g. "--all"
@ 2011-11-30  3:19       ` carolus
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: carolus @ 2011-11-30  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/29/2011 5:49 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:

> The display scrolls so that the line
>
>      -a, --all
>
> is at the top of the screen and the string "--a" is highlighted in
> reverse video in that line

Then maybe I just need to update my Cygwin installation, which is about
a year old.  Are you using the old default windows terminal like me, or
rxvt, mintty, xterm, or maybe something else?

* Re: Searching manpages for option codes, e.g. "--all"
@ 2011-11-30  4:15         ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-11-30  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/29/2011 9:29 PM, carolus wrote:
> Then maybe I just need to update my Cygwin installation, which is about a
> year old. Are you using the old default windows terminal like me, or rxvt,
> mintty, xterm, or maybe something else?

Works for me in both.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2011-11-30  4:59         ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-11-30  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/29/2011 9:29 PM, carolus wrote:
> Then maybe I just need to update my Cygwin installation, which is about a
> year old. Are you using the old default windows terminal like me, or rxvt,
> mintty, xterm, or maybe something else?

Works for me in mintty and the console window.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2011-11-30  8:50           ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2011-11-30  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2011-11-29, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 11/29/2011 9:29 PM, carolus wrote:
> >Then maybe I just need to update my Cygwin installation, which is about a
> >year old. Are you using the old default windows terminal like me, or rxvt,
> >mintty, xterm, or maybe something else?
>
> Works for me in mintty and the console window.

Ditto.

Gary

* Re: Searching manpages for option codes, e.g. "--all"
@ 2011-11-30 16:31         ` carolus
From: carolus @ 2011-11-30 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/29/2011 8:29 PM, carolus wrote:

> Then maybe I just need to update my Cygwin installation, which is about
> a year old.

Yes, that fixes the problem.  Thanks, everyone.