* dosfilewarning
@ 2013-06-21 18:50 Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2013-06-21 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a BAT file that calls a bash script that generates the
following (edited):

cygwin warning:
  MS-DOS style path detected: XXX
  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: XXX
  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.
  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

If I rerun the script, I don't get the message a second time, which
makes debugging the problem a problem. How can I have this message
show up on every invocation? I tried closing all Cygwin processes
and tried setting CYGWIN=dosfilewarning, but it seemed to want
something more.

--Ken Nellis

* Re: dosfilewarning
@ 2013-06-21 19:47 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2013-06-21 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/21/2013 2:38 PM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> I have a BAT file that calls a bash script that generates the
> following (edited):
>
> cygwin warning:
>    MS-DOS style path detected: XXX
>    Preferred POSIX equivalent is: XXX
>    CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.
>    Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>      http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
>
> If I rerun the script, I don't get the message a second time, which
> makes debugging the problem a problem. How can I have this message
> show up on every invocation? I tried closing all Cygwin processes
> and tried setting CYGWIN=dosfilewarning, but it seemed to want
> something more.

It's not designed to do that.  It will show up once per Cygwin DLL
session only.  If you want to see something different, you'll need
to patch the Cygwin source.

--
Larry

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

* RE: dosfilewarning
@ 2013-06-21 20:04   ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2013-06-21 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Larry Hall (Cygwin)

> On 6/21/2013 2:38 PM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> > I have a BAT file that calls a bash script that generates the
> > following (edited):
> >
> > cygwin warning:
> >    MS-DOS style path detected: XXX
> >    Preferred POSIX equivalent is: XXX
> >    CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.
> >    Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
> >      http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
> >
> > If I rerun the script, I don't get the message a second time, which
> > makes debugging the problem a problem. How can I have this message
> > show up on every invocation? I tried closing all Cygwin processes
> > and tried setting CYGWIN=dosfilewarning, but it seemed to want
> > something more.
>
> It's not designed to do that.  It will show up once per Cygwin DLL
> session only.  If you want to see something different, you'll need
> to patch the Cygwin source.

Thanx, but isn't the end of a "Cygwin DLL session" when all processes
that use the Cygwin DLL have terminated?

--Ken Nellis

* Re: dosfilewarning
@ 2013-06-21 22:10     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2013-06-21 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/21/2013 3:47 PM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> From: Larry Hall (Cygwin)
>>
>> On 6/21/2013 2:38 PM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
>>> I have a BAT file that calls a bash script that generates the
>>> following (edited):
>>>
>>> cygwin warning:
>>>     MS-DOS style path detected: XXX
>>>     Preferred POSIX equivalent is: XXX
>>>     CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.
>>>     Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>>>       http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
>>>
>>> If I rerun the script, I don't get the message a second time, which
>>> makes debugging the problem a problem. How can I have this message
>>> show up on every invocation? I tried closing all Cygwin processes
>>> and tried setting CYGWIN=dosfilewarning, but it seemed to want
>>> something more.
>>
>> It's not designed to do that.  It will show up once per Cygwin DLL
>> session only.  If you want to see something different, you'll need
>> to patch the Cygwin source.
>
> Thanx, but isn't the end of a "Cygwin DLL session" when all processes
> that use the Cygwin DLL have terminated?

Yes, that's correct.  If you're not getting the message, you still have a
process somewhere keeping the DLL in memory.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2013-06-22 15:39       ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2013-06-22 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 06/21/2013 02:11 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 6/21/2013 3:47 PM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
>> From: Larry Hall (Cygwin)

>>> It's not designed to do that.  It will show up once per Cygwin DLL
>>> session only.  If you want to see something different, you'll need
>>> to patch the Cygwin source.
>>
>> Thanx, but isn't the end of a "Cygwin DLL session" when all processes
>> that use the Cygwin DLL have terminated?
>
> Yes, that's correct.  If you're not getting the message, you still have a
> process somewhere keeping the DLL in memory.

Sounds like a job for Process Explorer...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Question: Why do people always seem to find things in the last place