* git clone failing with "fatal: index-pack failed"
@ 2013-10-24  9:22 Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2013-10-24  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Please excuse any duplication.

I'm getting the following when attempting to clone a large git
repository using Cygwin's git:

$ git clone gitolite@172.20.10.200:axcient
Cloning into 'axcient'...
remote: Counting objects: 168263, done.
remote: Total 168263 (delta 90112), reused 166470 (delta 88591)
Receiving objects: 100% (168263/168263), 4.10 GiB | 14.30 MiB/s, done.
error: index-pack died of signal 11)
fatal: index-pack failed
$ git --version
git version 1.7.9
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 MATER2K8SHPT 1.7.25(0.270/5/3) 2013-08-31 20:37 x86_64 Cygwin
$

I saw some things about this a while ago. Has this been fixed?
--
Andrew DeFaria

* Re: git clone failing with "fatal: index-pack failed"
@ 2013-10-26 22:12 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2013-10-26 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/23/2013 07:56 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Please excuse any duplication.
>
> I'm getting the following when attempting to clone a large git
> repository using Cygwin's git:
>
> $ git clone gitolite@172.20.10.200:axcient
> Cloning into 'axcient'...
> remote: Counting objects: 168263, done.
> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (73257/73257), done.
> remote: Total 168263 (delta 90112), reused 166470 (delta 88591)
> Receiving objects: 100% (168263/168263), 4.10 GiB | 14.30 MiB/s, done.
> error: index-pack died of signal 11)
> fatal: index-pack failed
> $ git --version
> git version 1.7.9
> $ uname -a
> CYGWIN_NT-6.1 MATER2K8SHPT 1.7.25(0.270/5/3) 2013-08-31 20:37 x86_64
> Cygwin
> $
>
> I saw some things about this a while ago. Has this been fixed?
It's been very quite about this issue. Usually at least somebody
responds. I fear that perhaps nobody's seeing this. Could somebody,
anybody, simply respond if even just to say "Yeah, I see this. Don't
have an answer though" I'd appreciate it.

I'd really like to get this working though as it would be really helpful
to switch my current client over to using Cygwin. As another data point,
they have some sort of installation of Git that brings along a little
bash shell and a couple of Linux like commands like ls, etc. It can
clone the git repository and afterwards Cygwin's git can utilize that
git repository doing things like git status, git log, etc. It just can't
do the initial clone.

Thanks.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
(A)bort, (R)etry, (T)ake down entire network?

* Re: git clone failing with "fatal: index-pack failed"
@ 2013-10-27  1:27   ` Balaji Venkataraman
From: Balaji Venkataraman @ 2013-10-27  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> It's been very quite about this issue. Usually at least somebody responds. I
> fear that perhaps nobody's seeing this. Could somebody, anybody, simply
> respond if even just to say "Yeah, I see this. Don't have an answer though"
> I'd appreciate it.

I see something similar intermittently but only when I try to clone in
a non-Administrator shell and that too only on cygwin32. It doesn't
happen when I'm in an administrator shell. Haven't been able to figure
it out - although I'm having other problems where I can't run many
commands from a 32bit Cygwin shell - so I don't want to set you off on
a random thread. Are you able to do things like man, make etc. from
the same shell?

* Re: git clone failing with "fatal: index-pack failed"
@ 2013-10-28 15:14   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2013-10-28 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/26/2013 12:23 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 10/23/2013 07:56 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> Please excuse any duplication.
>>
>> I'm getting the following when attempting to clone a large git
>> repository using Cygwin's git:
>>
>> $ git clone gitolite@172.20.10.200:axcient
>> Cloning into 'axcient'...
>> remote: Counting objects: 168263, done.
>> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (73257/73257), done.
>> remote: Total 168263 (delta 90112), reused 166470 (delta 88591)
>> Receiving objects: 100% (168263/168263), 4.10 GiB | 14.30 MiB/s, done.
>> error: index-pack died of signal 11)
>> fatal: index-pack failed
>> $ git --version
>> git version 1.7.9
>> $ uname -a
>> CYGWIN_NT-6.1 MATER2K8SHPT 1.7.25(0.270/5/3) 2013-08-31 20:37 x86_64
>> Cygwin
>> $
>>
>> I saw some things about this a while ago. Has this been fixed?
> It's been very quite about this issue. Usually at least somebody
> responds.

A "fix" for a slightly different git failure, may also work in your
case: Reduce the size of the environment block passed by cygwin/bash to git.

$ PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/libexec:/usr/sbin git ... other args ...

Give it a try and see if it helps at all.

--
Chuck

* Re: git clone failing with "fatal: index-pack failed"
@ 2013-10-31 16:05     ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2013-10-31 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/26/2013 03:12 PM, Balaji Venkataraman wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> It's been very quite about this issue. Usually at least somebody responds. I
>> fear that perhaps nobody's seeing this. Could somebody, anybody, simply
>> respond if even just to say "Yeah, I see this. Don't have an answer though"
>> I'd appreciate it.
> I see something similar intermittently but only when I try to clone in
> a non-Administrator shell and that too only on cygwin32. It doesn't
> happen when I'm in an administrator shell. Haven't been able to figure
> it out - although I'm having other problems where I can't run many
> commands from a 32bit Cygwin shell - so I don't want to set you off on
> a random thread. Are you able to do things like man, make etc. from
> the same shell?
Interesting. Running an administrator shell works! The odd thing is that
I logged in as the user Administrator, the local user Administrator. I
assume it has administrator rights but I know that there are
administrator rights and then there are administrator rights. So it
seems the problem lies between the two. How to debug this further and
fix it?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Black holes really suck.

* Re: git clone failing with "fatal: index-pack failed"
@ 2013-11-05 15:29       ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2013-11-05 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/31/2013 08:04 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 10/26/2013 03:12 PM, Balaji Venkataraman wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>> It's been very quite about this issue. Usually at least somebody
>>> responds. I
>>> fear that perhaps nobody's seeing this. Could somebody, anybody, simply
>>> respond if even just to say "Yeah, I see this. Don't have an answer
>>> though"
>>> I'd appreciate it.
>> I see something similar intermittently but only when I try to clone in
>> a non-Administrator shell and that too only on cygwin32. It doesn't
>> happen when I'm in an administrator shell. Haven't been able to figure
>> it out - although I'm having other problems where I can't run many
>> commands from a 32bit Cygwin shell - so I don't want to set you off on
>> a random thread. Are you able to do things like man, make etc. from
>> the same shell?
> Interesting. Running an administrator shell works! The odd thing is
> that I logged in as the user Administrator, the local user
> Administrator. I assume it has administrator rights but I know that
> there are administrator rights and then there are administrator
> rights. So it seems the problem lies between the two. How to debug
> this further and fix it?
Another error that I'm getting is the following:

$ git fetch
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
fatal: Out of memory? mmap failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
$

Note that this happens whether or not I start an administrator shell.
Also note the memory is not particularly low at the time and that "Git
bash" for Windows ( https://code.google.com/p/msysgit/) doesn't seem to
have a problem with this.

The silence on these problems is interesting. Usually people have a lot
of at least opinions to share if not things to try. Anybody got anything?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
When there's a will, I want to be in it.

* Re: git clone failing with "fatal: index-pack failed"
@ 2013-11-05 23:35         ` Balaji Venkataraman
From: Balaji Venkataraman @ 2013-11-05 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Andrew DeFaria <Andrew@defaria.com> wrote:

> On 10/31/2013 08:04 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

>>> I see something similar intermittently but only when I try to clone in
>>> a non-Administrator shell and that too only on cygwin32. It doesn't
>>> happen when I'm in an administrator shell. Haven't been able to figure
>>> it out - although I'm having other problems where I can't run many
>>> commands from a 32bit Cygwin shell - so I don't want to set you off on
>>> a random thread. Are you able to do things like man, make etc. from
>>> the same shell?

Did you try these (man, make etc.) from a non-admin shell?

>> Interesting. Running an administrator shell works! The odd thing is that I
>> logged in as the user Administrator, the local user Administrator. I assume
>> it has administrator rights but I know that there are administrator rights
>> and then there are administrator rights. So it seems the problem lies
>> between the two. How to debug this further and fix it?
>
> Another error that I'm getting is the following:
>
> $ git fetch
> Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
> X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
> fatal: Out of memory? mmap failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
> $
>
> Note that this happens whether or not I start an administrator shell. Also

Could you do the following and report back:
- open windows explorer and navigate to C:\Cygwin\bin (or where ever
the root of your 32 bit Cygwin installation).
- scroll down to find sh.exe and check whether you see the windows
'Administrator' shield on it?

If it has a shield on it, that is the source of all problems.

* Re: git clone failing with "fatal: index-pack failed"
@ 2013-11-06  5:28           ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2013-11-06  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/05/2013 03:35 PM, Balaji Venkataraman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Andrew DeFaria <Andrew@defaria.com> wrote:

> Did you try these (man, make etc.) from a non-admin shell?
I think you're talking to the other guy however when I did man, make,
etc. they worked fine.
>>> Interesting. Running an administrator shell works! The odd thing is that I
>>> logged in as the user Administrator, the local user Administrator. I assume
>>> it has administrator rights but I know that there are administrator rights
>>> and then there are administrator rights. So it seems the problem lies
>>> between the two. How to debug this further and fix it?
>> Another error that I'm getting is the following:
>>
>> $ git fetch
>> Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
>> X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
>> fatal: Out of memory? mmap failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
>> $
>>
>> Note that this happens whether or not I start an administrator shell. Also
> Could you do the following and report back:
> - open windows explorer and navigate to C:\Cygwin\bin (or where ever
> the root of your 32 bit Cygwin installation).
Stop. AFAICT I don't have a 32 bit Cygwin installation. I have a 64 bit
Cygwin installation. Again, I think you're talking to the other guy.
However I did report this new problem with git fetch and the nmap failed.
> - scroll down to find sh.exe and check whether you see the windows
> 'Administrator' shield on it?
>
> If it has a shield on it, that is the source of all problems.
I'll look for this however.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
"Criminal Lawyer" is a redundancy.

* git clone failing with "fatal: index-pack failed"
@ 2013-10-18  4:29 Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2013-10-18  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm getting the following when attempting to clone a large git
repository using Cygwin's git:

$ git clone gitolite@172.20.10.200:axcient
Cloning into 'axcient'...
remote: Counting objects: 168263, done.
remote: Total 168263 (delta 90112), reused 166470 (delta 88591)
Receiving objects: 100% (168263/168263), 4.10 GiB | 14.30 MiB/s, done.
error: index-pack died of signal 11)
fatal: index-pack failed
$ git --version
git version 1.7.9
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 MATER2K8SHPT 1.7.25(0.270/5/3) 2013-08-31 20:37 x86_64 Cygwin
$

I saw some things about this a while ago. Has this been fixed?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.