* multiwindow X11 and Emacs
@ 2012-09-12 10:52 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-09-12 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Now that X11 works again without crashing and I've found a font that looks OK
I'm running into a problem again that (I think) has existed for much longer:

When I start emacs from a shell window outside the X11 session (e.g. the same
mintty that I ran startxwin in) and then iconify emacs-X11 with C-z, the cursor
won't blink and it won't respond to keyboard input after de-iconifying it from
the taskbar (I'm using the multiwindow "native" window manager).  I have to
select something from the menu bar before emacs starts responding again, which
is a bit of a problem when I've switched the menu bar off... until I remember
that the context menus in the text pane are still there.

This does not happen if Emacs is started from an Xterm or the menu entry of the
X server icon in the notification area or even another mintty that's been
started from within X.  Somehow that C-z makes its way to where it shouldn't go
when the controlling terminal hasn't been started from the X11 session.  Ideas?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: multiwindow X11 and Emacs
@ 2012-09-12 13:50 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-09-12 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/12/2012 2:46 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Now that X11 works again without crashing and I've found a font that looks OK
> I'm running into a problem again that (I think) has existed for much longer:
>
> When I start emacs from a shell window outside the X11 session (e.g. the same
> mintty that I ran startxwin in) and then iconify emacs-X11 with C-z, the cursor
> won't blink and it won't respond to keyboard input after de-iconifying it from
> the taskbar (I'm using the multiwindow "native" window manager).  I have to
> select something from the menu bar before emacs starts responding again, which
> is a bit of a problem when I've switched the menu bar off... until I remember
> that the context menus in the text pane are still there.
>
> This does not happen if Emacs is started from an Xterm or the menu entry of the
> X server icon in the notification area or even another mintty that's been
> started from within X.  Somehow that C-z makes its way to where it shouldn't go
> when the controlling terminal hasn't been started from the X11 session.  Ideas?

I can't reproduce this on my system.  I'm running 64-bit Windows 7,
emacs-24.2-1, the latest Cygwin snapshot (2012-08-27), and the test
version of the X server (1.13.0-1).  Here's what I tried:

1. Start mintty from the "Cygwin Terminal" shortcut.

2. $ startxwin

3. [still in the mintty window] $ DISPLAY=:0 emacs -Q&

4. In the resulting emacs window, C-z.

5. Left click on the emacs icon to de-iconify emacs.

The cursor blinks and emacs responds to keyboard input.

Are you able to reproduce your problem with 'emacs -Q'?

Ken

P.S. Shouldn't this discussion be taking place on the cygwin-xfree list?

* Re: multiwindow X11 and Emacs
@ 2012-09-12 14:24   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-09-12 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown <kbrown <at> cornell.edu> writes:

> I can't reproduce this on my system.  I'm running 64-bit Windows 7,
> emacs-24.2-1, the latest Cygwin snapshot (2012-08-27), and the test
> version of the X server (1.13.0-1).  Here's what I tried:

Same setup as mine except 32-bit Win7/Enterprise.

> 1. Start mintty from the "Cygwin Terminal" shortcut.
>
> 2. $ startxwin
>
> 3. [still in the mintty window] $ DISPLAY=:0 emacs -Q&

I've tested this both with bash and tcsh, BTW since tcsh's signal handling is
apparently different from bash.

> 4. In the resulting emacs window, C-z.
>
> 5. Left click on the emacs icon to de-iconify emacs.
>
> The cursor blinks and emacs responds to keyboard input.

This is what doesn't work here.  That is when I start the X server from another
mintty than the one that the X server is started from or when the shell is tcsh.
 So if I extend your case with:

6. Start another mintty

7. DISPLAY=:0 emacs -Q&

8. In the resulting emacs window, C-z.

9. Left click on the emacs icon to de-iconify emacs.

The cursor doesn't blink and emacs doesn't respond to keyboard input.

What do you get?

> P.S. Shouldn't this discussion be taking place on the cygwin-xfree list?

I thought about it, but I suspect that signal handling is involved and hence
cygwin1.dll.  Within the X server itself there seems to be no problem but maybe
I didn't try the correct sequence of events yet.

@ 2012-09-12 14:46     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-09-12 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/12/2012 9:50 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown <kbrown <at> cornell.edu> writes:
>
>> I can't reproduce this on my system.  I'm running 64-bit Windows 7,
>> emacs-24.2-1, the latest Cygwin snapshot (2012-08-27), and the test
>> version of the X server (1.13.0-1).  Here's what I tried:
>
> Same setup as mine except 32-bit Win7/Enterprise.
>
>> 1. Start mintty from the "Cygwin Terminal" shortcut.
>>
>> 2. $ startxwin
>>
>> 3. [still in the mintty window] $ DISPLAY=:0 emacs -Q&
>
> I've tested this both with bash and tcsh, BTW since tcsh's signal handling is
> apparently different from bash.
>
>> 4. In the resulting emacs window, C-z.
>>
>> 5. Left click on the emacs icon to de-iconify emacs.
>>
>> The cursor blinks and emacs responds to keyboard input.
>
> This is what doesn't work here.  That is when I start the X server from another
> mintty than the one that the X server is started from or when the shell is tcsh.
>   So if I extend your case with:
>
> 6. Start another mintty
>
> 7. DISPLAY=:0 emacs -Q&
>
> 8. In the resulting emacs window, C-z.
>
> 9. Left click on the emacs icon to de-iconify emacs.
>
> The cursor doesn't blink and emacs doesn't respond to keyboard input.
>
> What do you get?

Still no problem.  I'm using only bash, not tcsh.  But I gather that
you're having problems with both.

I wonder why your results are so different from mine.  Do you have
something in your .startxwinrc that could be interfering?  I moved my
.startxwinrc out of the way before testing.

Ken

* Re: multiwindow X11 and Emacs
@ 2012-09-12 15:09       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-09-12 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown <kbrown <at> cornell.edu> writes:
> Still no problem.  I'm using only bash, not tcsh.  But I gather that
> you're having problems with both.

Hmm.  I'll have to try another time after a reboot with just bash alone to rule
out any interference.  I have a dual core machine (no hyperthreading) if that
makes any difference.

> I wonder why your results are so different from mine.

Me too.  Well, thanks for trying to reproduce anyway.

> Do you have
> something in your .startxwinrc that could be interfering?  I moved my
> .startxwinrc out of the way before testing.

I haven't touched any .startxwinrc, the stock one just starts an xterm (which I
most of the time close right after it has opened.

@ 2012-09-14 11:03 ` Wynfield Henman
From: Wynfield Henman @ 2012-09-14 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

emacs hangs  for me when invoking it from putty which has been
initiated by cygwin X11 which I start with startx.
But, I usually always have emacs up all the time and its not a big
pain.  I would be nice for it not to freeze when being re-activated.

@ 2012-09-14 13:15   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-09-14 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/14/2012 1:56 AM, Wynfield Henman wrote:
> emacs hangs  for me when invoking it from putty which has been
> initiated by cygwin X11 which I start with startx.
> But, I usually always have emacs up all the time and its not a big
> pain.  I would be nice for it not to freeze when being re-activated.

I'm sorry, but you didn't give enough details for me to know whether
you're reporting the same problem that Achim reported.  If not, please
start a new thread.  In either case, please give a precise recipe for
producing the problem.  Do you have to use a non-Cygwin program (putty)
in order to produce the problem?

Ken

* Re: multiwindow X11 and Emacs
@ 2012-09-15  6:09     ` Wynfield Henman
From: Wynfield Henman @ 2012-09-15  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sorry about that.  I was more making the point that it's not a cygwin
port of emac's fault.

I also have this problem using emacs built locally from the original
gnu emacs source code.   And also from the cygwin port.

C-z  puts emacs off the screen, but when its re-displayed the focus
doesn't come back into the editting buffer.  I have to first click on
any ol option on the top menu, and it re-activiates something that
enable editting back in the buffer.
environment:    putty (also built from original source code)

This problem / hanging does not occur when emacs has been moved off
the screen by clicking on the [-] tab in the upper right side of the
emacs frame.

Can you duplicate this on your system?

C-Z    # then [SHIFT][TAB] back to emacs to get it back up on the
screen.  It should be frozen then.  Workaround, click on [File] or
something and then escape from it and you can work in the normal
buffer.

@ 2012-09-15 11:57       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-09-15 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/14/2012 6:36 PM, Wynfield Henman wrote:
> Sorry about that.  I was more making the point that it's not a cygwin
> port of emac's fault.
>
> I also have this problem using emacs built locally from the original
> gnu emacs source code.   And also from the cygwin port.
>
> C-z  puts emacs off the screen, but when its re-displayed the focus
> doesn't come back into the editting buffer.  I have to first click on
> any ol option on the top menu, and it re-activiates something that
> enable editting back in the buffer.
> environment:    putty (also built from original source code)
>
> This problem / hanging does not occur when emacs has been moved off
> the screen by clicking on the [-] tab in the upper right side of the
> emacs frame.
>
> Can you duplicate this on your system?
>
> C-Z    # then [SHIFT][TAB] back to emacs to get it back up on the
> screen.  It should be frozen then.  Workaround, click on [File] or
> something and then escape from it and you can work in the normal
> buffer.

This does sound like the same problem Achim reported (except that he
didn't mention putty).  I still can't duplicate it, but I don't use
putty.  Do you have the problem without putty?

Ken

* Re: multiwindow X11 and Emacs
@ 2012-09-15 14:58         ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-09-15 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/15/2012 7:55 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 9/14/2012 6:36 PM, Wynfield Henman wrote:
>> Sorry about that.  I was more making the point that it's not a cygwin
>> port of emac's fault.
>>
>> I also have this problem using emacs built locally from the original
>> gnu emacs source code.   And also from the cygwin port.
>>
>> C-z  puts emacs off the screen, but when its re-displayed the focus
>> doesn't come back into the editting buffer.  I have to first click on
>> any ol option on the top menu, and it re-activiates something that
>> enable editting back in the buffer.
>> environment:    putty (also built from original source code)
>>
>> This problem / hanging does not occur when emacs has been moved off
>> the screen by clicking on the [-] tab in the upper right side of the
>> emacs frame.
>>
>> Can you duplicate this on your system?
>>
>> C-Z    # then [SHIFT][TAB] back to emacs to get it back up on the
>> screen.  It should be frozen then.  Workaround, click on [File] or
>> something and then escape from it and you can work in the normal
>> buffer.
>
> This does sound like the same problem Achim reported (except that he
> didn't mention putty).  I still can't duplicate it, but I don't use
> putty.  Do you have the problem without putty?

I forgot to ask whether you've tried the latest Cygwin snapshot.

Ken