* Re: ssh fails to start on Windows XP
@ 2014-01-31  0:19 Greg Couch
From: Greg Couch @ 2014-01-31  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

So recompiling opensll and openssh didn't fix the problem, but switching
to a cygwin1.dll snapshot that I downloaded debugging an earlier problem
from Nov 29, 2013 did fix the problem.  "cygcheck -s -v -r"  for the
working cygwin1.dll gives:
>  3043k 2013/11/29 C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
>                   "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2013-11-29 10:25
>     Cygwin DLL version info:
>         DLL version: 1.7.26
>         DLL epoch: 19
>         DLL old termios: 5
>         DLL malloc env: 28
>         Cygwin conv: 181
>         API major: 0
>         API minor: 271
>         Shared data: 5
>         DLL identifier: cygwin1
>         Mount registry: 3
>         Cygwin registry name: Cygwin
>         Program options name: Program Options
>         Installations name: Installations
>         Cygdrive default prefix:
>         Build date:
>         Shared id: cygwin1S5

The 1.7.26-1 version of cygwin package available via the current
setup-x86.exe does not work.  Nor did the current 1.7.27-2 version.
Googling, the 0xc0000139 error is a "entry point not found error", so
something changed between the 1.7.26 snapshot and the official 1.7.26 to
break ssh on my system.

The only important update that I haven't applied is the "Microsoft
Office File Validation Add-in" update.  And there are 5 optional updates
that I haven't applied: "Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on
Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2836941)", "Bing Bar 7.3
(KB2673774)", "Bing Desktop v1.3.1", "Microsoft Silverlight
(KB2636927)", and "Windows Live Essentials".

     HTH,

     Greg

* Re: ssh fails to start on Windows XP
@ 2014-01-31  0:49 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-01-31  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/30/2014 7:19 PM, Greg Couch wrote:
> So recompiling opensll and openssh didn't fix the problem, but switching to
> a cygwin1.dll snapshot that I downloaded debugging an earlier problem from
> Nov 29, 2013 did fix the problem.

<snip>

> The 1.7.26-1 version of cygwin package available via the current
> setup-x86.exe does not work.  Nor did the current 1.7.27-2 version.
> Googling, the 0xc0000139 error is a "entry point not found error", so
> something changed between the 1.7.26 snapshot and the official 1.7.26 to
> break ssh on my system.

This suggests to me that one or more packages in your Cygwin installation
are not up-to-date.  If you haven't rebooted since you last ran setup*.exe,
do so now.  If you have rebooted, try rerunning setup*.exe and have it
reinstall everything.  Best tostop all Cygwin processes and services
first though.  If this doesn't help, submit a complete problem report
as described by the following link - <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-05-13 11:25   ` Stephan Wurm
From: Stephan Wurm @ 2014-05-13 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> This suggests to me that one or more packages in your Cygwin installation
> are not up-to-date.  If you haven't rebooted since you last ran setup*.exe,
> do so now.  If you have rebooted, try rerunning setup*.exe and have it
> reinstall everything.  Best tostop all Cygwin processes and services
> first though.  If this doesn't help, submit a complete problem report
> as described by the following link - <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

I had the same issue as described by Greg.

Reinstalling everything fixed the issue. Thank you!

* Re: ssh fails to start on Windows XP
@ 2014-01-30 23:24 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-01-30 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/29/2014 5:02 PM, Greg Couch wrote:
> FYI, I just upgraded cygwin on my Windows XP system from 1.7.18 to 1.7.27
> and ssh no longer works.  Runing under gdb gives:
>
>      $ gdb /bin/ssh.exe
>      (gdb) run
>      gdb: unknown target exception 0xc0000139 at 0x7c9673be
>      During startup program exited with code 0xc0000139.
>
> Installing openssh-debuginfo did not improve the error message.  And
> neither the current version of openssh and openssl (6.4p1-1 and 1.0.1f-2)
> nor the previous version of openssh and openssl (6.3p1-1 and 1.0.1f-1)
> work.
>
> With some luck, someone will read this and put a fixed version in the
> repository.  My next step is to try to build a /usr/local version of
> openssl and openssh, assuming the bug is in one of those packages.  I'll
> report results of that later.

The 6.4p1-1/1.0.1f-2 work fine here and haven't been reported as generally
being a problem.  If you're seeking specific help, I recommend reading and
following the problem reporting guidelines given here:

	http://cygwin.com/problems.html

That said, an updated OpenSSH-6.5p1-1 was just announced this morning:

   <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2014-01/msg00029.html>

If you're interested in trying it out but your mirror doesn't have it
yet, check some others.

--
Larry

A: Yes.