* sshd PID changed
@ 2015-03-10 11:12 Kizito Porta Balanyà
From: Kizito Porta Balanyà @ 2015-03-10 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I'm receiving some rare monit messages related to the sshd service.

The service "cygrunsrv sshd" is not restarted (eventviewer is OK), but
sometimes (not always) I get the following alerts:

Alert 1:
PID changed Service checkMatching_sshd
                 Date:        Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:14:26

PPID changed Service checkMatching_sshd
                 Date:        Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:14:26

Alert 2:
PID changed Service checkMatching_sshd
                 Date:        Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:14:42

PPID changed Service checkMatching_sshd
                 Date:        Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:14:42

Does the ssh service changes its own pid?

Thanks a lot for your time.

* Re: sshd PID changed
@ 2015-03-11 12:40 ` Kizito Porta Balanyà
From: Kizito Porta Balanyà @ 2015-03-11 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

No one is interested in this commented behaviour ?
Or it is expected as designed ?

Thanks a lot for your time.

> Hello,
>
> I'm receiving some rare monit messages related to the sshd service.
>
> The service "cygrunsrv sshd" is not restarted (eventviewer is OK), but
> sometimes (not always) I get the following alerts:
>

> Alert 1:
> PID changed Service checkMatching_sshd
>                  Date:        Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:14:26
>
> PPID changed Service checkMatching_sshd
>                  Date:        Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:14:26
>

> Alert 2:
> PID changed Service checkMatching_sshd
>                  Date:        Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:14:42
>
> PPID changed Service checkMatching_sshd
>                  Date:        Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:14:42
>

> Does the ssh service changes its own pid?
>
> Thanks a lot for your time.

* Re: sshd PID changed
@ 2015-03-11 19:57   ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2015-03-11 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Kizito Porta Balanyà writes:
> No one is interested in this commented behaviour ?
> Or it is expected as designed ?
>
> Thanks a lot for your time.

> > I'm receiving some rare monit messages related to the sshd service.
> >
> > The service "cygrunsrv sshd" is not restarted (eventviewer is OK), but
> > sometimes (not always) I get the following alerts:
> >

> > Alert 1:
> > PID changed Service checkMatching_sshd
> >                  Date:        Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:14:26
> >
> > PPID changed Service checkMatching_sshd
> >                  Date:        Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:14:26

Are those Windows pids or Cygwin pids?  Was monit built under Cygwin?

Windows processes don't (and can't) change their own pid.  Cygwin processes
don't have a need to do it and I don't know if it's even possible (by
mucking around in the shared data segment).  I feel unclean even suggesting
it might be possible.

What's likely happening is monit is reporting two separate sshd processes as
if it's talking about the same process.  When you login via sshd, another
sshd process is created for your session.

Or perhaps monit is malfunctionally not checking the process startup times
in addition to the process pids to distinguish between them.
HTH,

..mark

* Re: sshd PID changed
@ 2015-04-10  8:13     ` BGINFO4X
From: BGINFO4X @ 2015-04-10  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Kizito Porta Balanyà writes:
>> No one is interested in this commented behaviour ?
>> Or it is expected as designed ?
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your time.

>> > I'm receiving some rare monit messages related to the sshd service.
>> >
>> > The service "cygrunsrv sshd" is not restarted (eventviewer is OK), but
>> > sometimes (not always) I get the following alerts:
>> >

>> > Alert 1:
>> > PID changed Service checkMatching_sshd
>> >                  Date:        Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:14:26
>> >
>> > PPID changed Service checkMatching_sshd
>> >                  Date:        Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:14:26
>
> Are those Windows pids or Cygwin pids?  Was monit built under Cygwin?

Sorry, I missed your answer.

They are cygwin pids and monit was built under cygwin.

> Windows processes don't (and can't) change their own pid.  Cygwin processes
> don't have a need to do it and I don't know if it's even possible (by
> mucking around in the shared data segment).  I feel unclean even suggesting
> it might be possible.
>
> What's likely happening is monit is reporting two separate sshd processes as
> if it's talking about the same process.  When you login via sshd, another
> sshd process is created for your session.

Yes you are right.

Procmatch matches 3 sshd process. I should use PIDFILE instead.

Thanks a lot.

> Or perhaps monit is malfunctionally not checking the process startup times
> in addition to the process pids to distinguish between them.
> HTH,
>
> ..mark

* Fwd: sshd PID changed
@ 2015-04-10  8:23       ` Kizito Porta Balanyà