* setup.exe -s site option not working for me
@ 2015-08-28 14:20 Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2015-08-28 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Cygwin Users:

I currently run setup through a Windows shortcut that adds options
-d -N to the standard command line. Being exposed recently to
cygwinports, I was attempting to have separate shortcuts, one for
regular cygwin and one for cygwinports. To distinguish between them,
I tried adding -s <site> to the command-line options to specify the
respective sites. Instead of working as I expected:
1. In the "Choose A Download Site" window, instead of simply auto-
selecting my regular site, it created a duplicate entry of the site;
and
2. When I proceeded to the next step, it complained with "Unable to
get setup.ini from <[site]>" and wouldn't let me proceed until I
selected the other of the duplicated site names.

Perhaps my mission to have separate setup procedures for cygwin
and cygwinports is folly, but wondering if I am doing something
wrong or if the -s <site> option isn't working as it should.

--Ken Nellis

* Re: setup.exe -s site option not working for me
@ 2015-08-28 14:42 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-08-28 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nellis, Kenneth, cygwin

Greetings, Nellis, Kenneth!

> Dear Cygwin Users:

> I currently run setup through a Windows shortcut that adds options
> -d -N to the standard command line. Being exposed recently to
> cygwinports, I was attempting to have separate shortcuts,

Wasted effort.

> one for regular cygwin and one for cygwinports. To distinguish between them,
> I tried adding -s <site> to the command-line options to specify the
> respective sites. Instead of working as I expected:
> 1. In the "Choose A Download Site" window, instead of simply auto-
> selecting my regular site, it created a duplicate entry of the site;
> and
> 2. When I proceeded to the next step, it complained with "Unable to
> get setup.ini from <[site]>" and wouldn't let me proceed until I
> selected the other of the duplicated site names.

> Perhaps my mission to have separate setup procedures for cygwin
> and cygwinports is folly, but wondering if I am doing something
> wrong or if the -s <site> option isn't working as it should.

----- 8< ----- 8< ----- 8< ----- 8< ----- 8< ----- 8< ----- 8< ----- 8< -----
#!/bin/sh

# Cygwin upgrade helper script.
# Usage:
#
#   install-cygwin.sh [ ports ]
#
# If you intend to use it for new installs, you will need minimal bootstrap
# including POSIX shell interpreter and wget utility.
#
# You will have to edit the script to provide mirror URL of your choice.
#
# The script assumes existing installation of the same architecture as
# the host operating system.
# If you want to install 32-bit Cygwin on 64-bit host, override
# $ARCH with value other than "x86_64".
# F.e.
#
#   ARCH=x86 ./install-cygwin.sh

# Mirror URL - don't include trailing slash!
MIRROR="${MIRROR:-http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/sources.redhat.com/cygwin}"

# System architecture.
ARCH="${ARCH:-$(uname -m)}"

# Localization is fine... as long as you don't show it to other people.
export LANG=C

if [ "$ARCH" != "x86_64" ]; then
  ARCH=x86
fi

wget -N "http://cygwin.com/setup-${ARCH}.exe"

if [ "$1" = "ports" ]; then
  KEYS="-K http://cygwinports.org/ports.gpg -s ""${MIRROR%%/}ports/"
  shift
fi
./setup-${ARCH}.exe -O -s "${MIRROR%%/}/" $KEYS $* &

----- >8 ----- >8 ----- >8 ----- >8 ----- >8 ----- >8 ----- >8 ----- >8 -----

the only problem is that I have to manually kill last shell that is attached
to the setup.exe after the script ends, to allow clean upgrade.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* RE: setup.exe -s site option not working for me
@ 2015-08-28 14:51   ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2015-08-28 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I appreciate the response and the provided script, but
the question remains whether I am doing something wrong
(and what!) or if setup.exe just isn't working as
expected (bug?).

Specifically, in the Target field of my shortcut's
properties, I have:

C:\Users\knellis\Installers\Cygwin\setup-x86_64.exe -d -N -s "http://mirror.cs.vt.edu/"

And, I've tried with and without the trailing slash
in the URL. No matter, it complains with:

Unable to get setup.ini from <http://mirror.cs.vt.edu/>

@ 2015-08-28 15:06     ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2015-08-28 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nellis, Kenneth, cygwin

On 28/08/2015 15:42, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> I appreciate the response and the provided script, but
> the question remains whether I am doing something wrong
> (and what!) or if setup.exe just isn't working as
> expected (bug?).
>
> Specifically, in the Target field of my shortcut's
> properties, I have:
>
> C:\Users\knellis\Installers\Cygwin\setup-x86_64.exe -d -N -s "http://mirror.cs.vt.edu/"
>
> And, I've tried with and without the trailing slash
> in the URL. No matter, it complains with:

It seems you are not using the right URL.  Try

-s "http://mirror.cs.vt.edu/pub/cygwin/cygwin/"

This is what the link on https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html points to.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: setup.exe -s site option not working for me
@ 2015-08-28 16:19 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-28 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Nellis, Kenneth <Kenneth.Nellis <at> xerox.com> writes:
> I currently run setup through a Windows shortcut that adds options
> -d -N to the standard command line. Being exposed recently to
> cygwinports, I was attempting to have separate shortcuts, one for
> regular cygwin and one for cygwinports.

No, if you use cygwinports you should use that _in addition_ to a cygwin.com
mirror.

> Perhaps my mission to have separate setup procedures for cygwin
> and cygwinports is folly, but wondering if I am doing something
> wrong or if the -s <site> option isn't working as it should.

This option is for adding mirror sites not listed in mirrors.lst on
cygwin.com.  There are other options to ignore the mirror list and to
skip the selection window, but if you're doing a manual installation anyway
setup will remember your last selection.

Regards,
Achim.

* RE: setup.exe -s site option not working for me
@ 2015-08-28 17:29       ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2015-08-28 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Jon TURNEY

> It seems you are not using the right URL.  Try
>
> -s "http://mirror.cs.vt.edu/pub/cygwin/cygwin/"
>
> This is what the link on https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html points to.

Hey, Jon, thanx! I'm in business. Not sure if/where that was documented.

FWIW, it appears that the web site is adding a semicolon after
the URL in the posting where none was provided (both my and Jon's
postings).

I have not yet realized that this effort has been wasted.
Time will tell. :-)

--Ken Nellis