* Re: Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.872)
@ 2015-10-13  6:28 Fergus
From: Fergus @ 2015-10-13  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: fergus

I always install / update Cygwin from a x86/release/ directory located on my
hard drive, and kept up to date.
The new setup-x86.exe requires setup.ini.sig located in x86/ as well as
setup.ini.
Easy to manage, but is this additional requirement intentional?
Fergus

* Re: Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.872)
@ 2015-10-13  7:13 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-13  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Fergus <fergus <at> bonhard.uklinux.net> writes:
> I always install / update Cygwin from a x86/release/ directory located on my
> hard drive, and kept up to date.

So you use a local mirror?

> The new setup-x86.exe requires setup.ini.sig located in x86/ as well as
> setup.ini.
> Easy to manage, but is this additional requirement intentional?

Yes, if the directory you install from looks like a local mirror then
setup.ini should be found in the correct place and the signature should
check OK to ensure the file and everything you install later on, through the
SHA-512 checksums, hasn't been tampered with.  You can skip the signature
check with '-X / --no-verify', but unless you modify setup.ini I suggest to
just download the .sig file as well.  You might want to add '-m /
--mirror-mode' as well to ensure that setup doesn't switch into ad-hoc
install mode inadvertently.

If you want to use the ad-hoc install method w/o setup.ini (which requires
that setup searches the disk for package files, which is quite inefficient
for a full install), then rename the directory so it doesn't look like a
local mirror or start setup from a deeper level in the directory tree.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.872)
@ 2015-10-18 18:33 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-18 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Fergus writes:
> I always install / update Cygwin from a x86/release/ directory located on my
> hard drive, and kept up to date.
> The new setup-x86.exe requires setup.ini.sig located in x86/ as well as
> setup.ini.
> Easy to manage, but is this additional requirement intentional?

The next version of setup will drop this requirement until it can ensure
that both the setup file and the signature are downloaded together in
such a case.  Please note that an existing signature is still checked.

Regards,
Achim.