* look: no words file
@ 2016-07-11 19:05 David Arnstein
From: David Arnstein @ 2016-07-11 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Wnen I type something like
	look mental
I get
	look: /usr/share/dict/words: No such file or directory

In fact, directory /usr/share/dict does not even exist.

Rather than trying to diagnose this problem, I would like to re-install the
relevant package(s). So far, I have tried util-linux and bash-completion. No
improvement. Any other suggestions?

* Re: look: no words file
@ 2016-07-11 19:16 ` Marco Atzeri
       [not found]   ` <20160711195559.GA7301@server2.tzongtze.com>
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-07-11 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/07/2016 21:05, David Arnstein wrote:
> Wnen I type something like
> 	look mental
> I get
> 	look: /usr/share/dict/words: No such file or directory
>
> In fact, directory /usr/share/dict does not even exist.
>
> Rather than trying to diagnose this problem, I would like to re-install the
> relevant package(s). So far, I have tried util-linux and bash-completion. No
> improvement. Any other suggestions?

there is no "/usr/share/dict/words" in any package

$ cygcheck -p usr/share/dict/words
Found 0 matches for usr/share/dict/words

But scowl has 3 dictionary that eventually you can
try to use. (I have not tested it)

$ cygcheck -p usr/share/dict
Found 2 matches for usr/share/dict
scowl-2015.08.24-2 - scowl: Spell Checker Oriented Word Lists (installed
binaries and support files)
scowl-2016.01.19-1 - scowl: Spell Checker Oriented Word Lists (installed
binaries and support files)

see package content
https://cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/scowl/scowl-2016.01.19-1

Regards
Marco

* Re: look: no words file
       [not found]   ` <20160711195559.GA7301@server2.tzongtze.com>
@ 2016-07-12  5:45     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-07-12  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: David Arnstein

back on cygwin mailing list

On 11/07/2016 21:55, David Arnstein wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 09:15:55PM +0200, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> there is no "/usr/share/dict/words" in any package
>>
>> $ cygcheck -p usr/share/dict/words
>> Found 0 matches for usr/share/dict/words
>>
>> But scowl has 3 dictionary that eventually you can
>> try to use. (I have not tested it)
>
> Thank you. I installed scowl. I also had to
> 	cd /usr/share/dict
> 	ln -s american-english words
>
> I have a memory of look working correctly in cygwin, with no
> configuration required. Out of curiosity, was this ever supported?

I don't know. Never used "look"

Regards

* Re: look: no words file
@ 2016-07-12 16:02 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2016-07-12 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

David Arnstein <arnstein <at> pobox.com> writes:
> Wnen I type something like
> 	look mental
> I get
> 	look: /usr/share/dict/words: No such file or directory
> In fact, directory /usr/share/dict does not even exist.
> Rather than trying to diagnose this problem, I would like to re-install the
> relevant package(s). So far, I have tried util-linux and bash-completion. No
> improvement. Any other suggestions?

FSF/GNU package miscfiles provides /usr/share/dict/ and other files, but is
not packaged for Cygwin, although it is available on most Unix distros.
You can easily download, install the contents, add a symlink from
/usr/share/dict/web2 -> words (for compatibility), or you can run look -a to
use web2 instead of words.
If you have a handy Unix system, you could just scp the files over to Cygwin.