* Re: Problems with libtiff!
@ 1999-06-18  7:58 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-18  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Koehler; +Cc: cygwin

--- "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <ssiddiqi@ipass.net> wrote:

> > "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" wrote:
> >
> > > that is where the problem is, at least i noticed.
> >
> > glad to see that I'm not alone...
> >
> > > if you unmount the disk then binary mount it
> > >
> > > umount /
> > > mount -b c: /
> > >

> > For now, I do not know what this command sequence does
> > but I will try to verify this and examine if the created
> > headers are ok.
> >

> This command sequence will unmount your C:\ drive, which is text! mounted by
> default
> and then binary mount it.
>

> > > That's what I meant that someone needs to port Tiff properly the
> precompiled
> > > binaries available
> > > from Cygwin users have the above mentioned problems.  I have tried
> almost
> > > all the precompiled
> > > Tiff binaries available on net from different porters and all of them
> have
> > > this problem.
> >
> > I wonder now why this is not mentioned in the mailing list archives?
> > Maybe libtiff does work on their computers?
>
> I do not know about thier *computers*.  Maybe they are using the binary
> mounted disks.
> The prefered way of having a text! mounted disk.
>
> I know a few other users who have complain about the similar problems to me
> via
> personal comunications.  So, it is not you or me only, i guess a lot of
> other Cygwin users.

This is caused by lazy porting.  Lazy porting is relying in the default
processing mode for a file.  CAUTION: If you change to binary mounts you will
need to remove all \r characters from the line endings of all scripts.
===
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't include me)

* Re: Problems with libtiff!
@ 1999-06-18  8:11 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi, Ph.D.
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi, Ph.D. @ 1999-06-18  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: cygwin

> This is caused by lazy porting.  Lazy porting is relying in the default
> processing mode for a file.  CAUTION: If you change to binary mounts you will
> need to remove all \r characters from the line endings of all scripts.

That is why I do not like binary mounts.  Well, I decided to avoid
using tiff libs available for Cygwin from different users. Not going
to say by name, but all the 3 ports I know of available from UK and US
sites have this problem.

Suhaib

@ 1999-06-18  9:51   ` itz
From: itz @ 1999-06-18  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ssiddiqi; +Cc: earnie_boyd, cygwin

   Sender: cygwin-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com
   Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:14:08 -0400
   From: "Suhaib M. Siddiqi, Ph.D." <ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com>

   >  This is caused by lazy porting.  Lazy porting is relying in the
   > default processing mode for a file.  CAUTION: If you change to
   > binary mounts you will need to remove all \r characters from the
   > line endings of all scripts.

   That is why I do not like binary mounts.

But this is a development problem, not a usage one.  Yes, developers
and porters should be much more careful about their f?open() calls.
But where users are concerned, I find it hard to use text mounts (and
recommend them to other users) when even the most important program of
them all (bash) is not yet binary/text clean.

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.

* Re: Problems with libtiff!
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Koehler; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi, Ph.D.
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi, Ph.D. @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10     ` itz
From: itz @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ssiddiqi; +Cc: earnie_boyd, cygwin

   Sender: cygwin-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com
   Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:14:08 -0400
   From: "Suhaib M. Siddiqi, Ph.D." <ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com>

@ 1999-06-30 22:10     ` Ulrich Koehler
From: Ulrich Koehler @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: cygwin

"Suhaib M. Siddiqi" wrote:

> that is where the problem is, at least i noticed.

glad to see that I'm not alone...

> if you unmount the disk then binary mount it
>
> umount /
> mount -b c: /

For now, I do not know what this command sequence does
but I will try to verify this and examine if the created
headers are ok.

> That's what I meant that someone needs to port Tiff properly the precompiled
> binaries available
> from Cygwin users have the above mentioned problems.  I have tried almost
> all the precompiled
> Tiff binaries available on net from different porters and all of them have
> this problem.

I wonder now why this is not mentioned in the mailing list archives?
Maybe libtiff does work on their computers?

Ulrich
Koehler

From: Ulrich Koehler @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I browsed through the archives and there should be
no problems at all, but...

libtiff v3.4beta037 + cygwin B20.1

% sh configure --target=i586
% make

compiles without any errors on Win95b, AMD-K6-2.

execution problems:

tools/tiffdump.exe - works ok
tools/tiff2ps.exe  - does not work, probs with strip-size
tools/thumbnail.exe - does not work,
  the thumbnail image is 8 byte in size (just the header)
  I guess libtiff is unable to read my greyscale image
  which I created with libtiff on a UNIX-system.
  (the images is ok, a hex-dump shows this)
and so on...

If I save images with my own program via libtiff
(on UNIX everything works well) the TIFF-images
are corrupt. The hex dump of the image shows:
- byte ordering and the first 4 bytes (0..3) of the header
  seem to be ok.
- the pointer to the first IFD (Byte 4..7) misses the real IFD
  by one byte. If I fix this manually the image is recognized
  by other programs (type, size etc. are correct) but the data
  is still corrupt.
???

Does anybody got a _working_ libtiff on Win95?

Bye
Ulrich Koehler

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Koehler; +Cc: cygwin

> "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" wrote:
>
> > that is where the problem is, at least i noticed.
>
> glad to see that I'm not alone...
>
> > if you unmount the disk then binary mount it
> >
> > umount /
> > mount -b c: /
> >

> For now, I do not know what this command sequence does
> but I will try to verify this and examine if the created
> headers are ok.

This command sequence will unmount your C:\ drive, which is text! mounted by
default
and then binary mount it.

> > That's what I meant that someone needs to port Tiff properly the
precompiled
> > binaries available
> > from Cygwin users have the above mentioned problems.  I have tried
almost
> > all the precompiled
> > Tiff binaries available on net from different porters and all of them
have
> > this problem.
>
> I wonder now why this is not mentioned in the mailing list archives?
> Maybe libtiff does work on their computers?

I do not know about thier *computers*.  Maybe they are using the binary
mounted disks.
The prefered way of having a text! mounted disk.

I know a few other users who have complain about the similar problems to me
via
personal comunications.  So, it is not you or me only, i guess a lot of
other Cygwin users.

Suhaib

> Ulrich
> Koehler

* Re: Problems with libtiff!
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: itz; +Cc: cygwin

--- itz@lbin.com wrote:
-8<-
> But this is a development problem, not a usage one.  Yes, developers
> and porters should be much more careful about their f?open() calls.
> But where users are concerned, I find it hard to use text mounts (and
> recommend them to other users) when even the most important program of
> them all (bash) is not yet binary/text clean.

If you believe that bash has problems with binary/text then the best solution
would be to find the problems and submit a patch.  BTW, IMO it is readline that
has the problem and not bash.  I've been using cygwin for a couple of years now
processing with text default mounts and the only problem I've seen with bash is
the initialization of the history buffer from the history file.

Changing from a default of text mode processing to a default of binary mode
processing only changes the cause of the headaches.  You still must properly
port the code.  For truly portable code you must specify how the file is to be
processed before it's processed.  DON'T DEPEND ON DEFAULTS.

===

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Koehler, cygwin

> Hello,
>
> I browsed through the archives and there should be
> no problems at all, but...
>
> libtiff v3.4beta037 + cygwin B20.1
>
> % sh configure --target=i586
> % make
>
> compiles without any errors on Win95b, AMD-K6-2.

Yes, it compiles without errors.

> execution problems:
>
> tools/tiffdump.exe - works ok
> tools/tiff2ps.exe  - does not work, probs with strip-size
> tools/thumbnail.exe - does not work,
>   the thumbnail image is 8 byte in size (just the header)
>   I guess libtiff is unable to read my greyscale image
>   which I created with libtiff on a UNIX-system.
>   (the images is ok, a hex-dump shows this)
> and so on...

that is where the problem is, at least i noticed.
if you unmount the disk then binary mount it

umount /
mount -b c: /

Now your tiff images created on UNIX can be read, also tiff images created
under Cygwin
will not have header problems and can be opened with Photoshop and/or MS
Wang Image Editor.

That's what I meant that someone needs to port Tiff properly the precompiled
binaries available
from Cygwin users have the above mentioned problems.  I have tried almost
all the precompiled
Tiff binaries available on net from different porters and all of them have
this problem.

--Suhaib

> If I save images with my own program via libtiff
> (on UNIX everything works well) the TIFF-images
> are corrupt. The hex dump of the image shows:
> - byte ordering and the first 4 bytes (0..3) of the header
>   seem to be ok.
> - the pointer to the first IFD (Byte 4..7) misses the real IFD
>   by one byte. If I fix this manually the image is recognized
>   by other programs (type, size etc. are correct) but the data
>   is still corrupt.
> ???
>
> Does anybody got a _working_ libtiff on Win95?
>
> Bye
> Ulrich Koehler
>
> --

* Re: Problems with libtiff!
@ 1999-06-18 11:22 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-18 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: itz; +Cc: cygwin

-8<-

@ 1999-06-18  5:49     ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-06-18  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Koehler; +Cc: cygwin

> "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" wrote:
>
> > that is where the problem is, at least i noticed.
>
> glad to see that I'm not alone...
>
> > if you unmount the disk then binary mount it
> >
> > umount /
> > mount -b c: /
> >

> For now, I do not know what this command sequence does
> but I will try to verify this and examine if the created
> headers are ok.

This command sequence will unmount your C:\ drive, which is text! mounted by
default
and then binary mount it.

> > That's what I meant that someone needs to port Tiff properly the
precompiled
> > binaries available
> > from Cygwin users have the above mentioned problems.  I have tried
almost
> > all the precompiled
> > Tiff binaries available on net from different porters and all of them
have
> > this problem.
>
> I wonder now why this is not mentioned in the mailing list archives?
> Maybe libtiff does work on their computers?

I do not know about thier *computers*.  Maybe they are using the binary
mounted disks.
The prefered way of having a text! mounted disk.

I know a few other users who have complain about the similar problems to me
via
personal comunications.  So, it is not you or me only, i guess a lot of
other Cygwin users.

Suhaib

> Ulrich
> Koehler

* Re: Problems with libtiff!
@ 1999-06-18  5:43   ` Ulrich Koehler
From: Ulrich Koehler @ 1999-06-18  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-06-18  5:21 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-06-18  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Koehler, cygwin

> Hello,
>
> I browsed through the archives and there should be
> no problems at all, but...
>
> libtiff v3.4beta037 + cygwin B20.1
>
> % sh configure --target=i586
> % make
>
> compiles without any errors on Win95b, AMD-K6-2.

Yes, it compiles without errors.

> execution problems:
>
> tools/tiffdump.exe - works ok
> tools/tiff2ps.exe  - does not work, probs with strip-size
> tools/thumbnail.exe - does not work,
>   the thumbnail image is 8 byte in size (just the header)
>   I guess libtiff is unable to read my greyscale image
>   which I created with libtiff on a UNIX-system.
>   (the images is ok, a hex-dump shows this)
> and so on...

that is where the problem is, at least i noticed.
if you unmount the disk then binary mount it

umount /
mount -b c: /

Now your tiff images created on UNIX can be read, also tiff images created
under Cygwin
will not have header problems and can be opened with Photoshop and/or MS
Wang Image Editor.

That's what I meant that someone needs to port Tiff properly the precompiled
binaries available
from Cygwin users have the above mentioned problems.  I have tried almost
all the precompiled
Tiff binaries available on net from different porters and all of them have
this problem.

--Suhaib

> If I save images with my own program via libtiff
> (on UNIX everything works well) the TIFF-images
> are corrupt. The hex dump of the image shows:
> - byte ordering and the first 4 bytes (0..3) of the header
>   seem to be ok.
> - the pointer to the first IFD (Byte 4..7) misses the real IFD
>   by one byte. If I fix this manually the image is recognized
>   by other programs (type, size etc. are correct) but the data
>   is still corrupt.
> ???
>
> Does anybody got a _working_ libtiff on Win95?
>
> Bye
> Ulrich Koehler
>
> --

* Problems with libtiff!