* Support in gcc for 586
@ 2001-04-22  9:04 Nicolay Giraldo
From: Nicolay Giraldo @ 2001-04-22  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I just downloaded and installed cygwin, to find that I can't compile anything because gcc supports only 686 and up.
I have a Pentium MMX, what can I do ??

Nicolay

Sent with STUPID.COM's free email. Don't YOU belong here? http://www.stupid.com

* Re: Support in gcc for 586
@ 2001-04-22  9:32 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-04-22  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 09:04:04AM -0700, Nicolay Giraldo wrote:
>I just downloaded and installed cygwin, to find that I can't compile anything because gcc supports only 686 and up.
>I have a Pentium MMX, what can I do ??

Use the gcc that comes with the package.

It should support 386+.

cgf

* Re: Support in gcc for 586
@ 2001-04-22 10:26   ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2001-04-22 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

/ Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
| On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 09:04:04AM -0700, Nicolay Giraldo wrote:
| >I just downloaded and installed cygwin, to find that I can't compile anything because gcc supports only 686 and up.
| >I have a Pentium MMX, what can I do ??
|
| Use the gcc that comes with the package.
|
| It should support 386+.
|
| cgf

Humm.. I just checked my gcc.

flognat@CUTIE2K /usr/lib/gcc-lib
$ gcc --version
2.95.3-2
flognat@CUTIE2K /usr/lib/gcc-lib
$ ls /usr/lib/gcc-lib/
i686-pc-cygwin

Smells like 686 compiled??

        /Andy

* Re: Support in gcc for 586
@ 2001-04-22 10:41     ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-04-22 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Markebo; +Cc: cygwin

Andrew Markebo wrote:

> / Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
> | On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 09:04:04AM -0700, Nicolay Giraldo wrote:
> | >I just downloaded and installed cygwin, to find that I can't compile anything because gcc supports only 686 and up.
> | >I have a Pentium MMX, what can I do ??
> |
> | Use the gcc that comes with the package.
> |
> | It should support 386+.
> |
> | cgf
>
> Humm.. I just checked my gcc.
>
> flognat@CUTIE2K /usr/lib/gcc-lib
> $ gcc --version
> 2.95.3-2
> flognat@CUTIE2K /usr/lib/gcc-lib
> $ ls /usr/lib/gcc-lib/
> i686-pc-cygwin
>
> Smells like 686 compiled??

No!!! It was built on i686 not optimized for i686.  The default
configuration is for i386 optimization.  However, the autoconfiguration
sees the arch as i686 if you configure on i686 and sees the arch as i586
if you configure on a i586, etc.

Earnie.

* Re: Support in gcc for 586
@ 2001-04-22 15:34     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-04-22 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 07:26:28PM +0200, Andrew Markebo wrote:
>/ Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
>>On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 09:04:04AM -0700, Nicolay Giraldo wrote:
>>>I just downloaded and installed cygwin, to find that I can't compile
>>>anything because gcc supports only 686 and up.  I have a Pentium MMX,
>>>what can I do ??
>>
>>Use the gcc that comes with the package.
>>
>>It should support 386+.
>
>Humm..  I just checked my gcc.
>
>flognat@CUTIE2K /usr/lib/gcc-lib $ gcc --version 2.95.3-2
>flognat@CUTIE2K /usr/lib/gcc-lib $ ls /usr/lib/gcc-lib/ i686-pc-cygwin
>
>Smells like 686 compiled??

Did you actually TRY THIS?

Cygwin was built with this compiler.  I haven't seen anyone complaining
that Cygwin didn't operate on a "Pentium MMX".

If you are actually having some sort of problem, then post it here.
Otherwise, it appears that you are making incorrect assumptions about
the way that gcc operates.

cgf

* Re: Support in gcc for 586
@ 2001-04-22 23:56       ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2001-04-22 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

/ Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
| [...]
| >
| >Humm..  I just checked my gcc.
| >
| >flognat@CUTIE2K /usr/lib/gcc-lib $ gcc --version 2.95.3-2
| >flognat@CUTIE2K /usr/lib/gcc-lib $ ls /usr/lib/gcc-lib/ i686-pc-cygwin
| >
| >Smells like 686 compiled??
|
| Did you actually TRY THIS?

Sorry, I assumed that the subdir in /usr/lib/gcc-lib indicated the
_target_ that gcc was built _for_. (like if you built a cross-compiler
for m68k on a 686, where should it be placed?)

I can test it on an old 586 later on today, and back off..

        /Andy

* Re: Support in gcc for 586
@ 2001-04-23 10:39         ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2001-04-23 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

/ Andrew Markebo <flognat@flognat.myip.org> wrote:
| [...]
| Sorry, I assumed that the subdir in /usr/lib/gcc-lib indicated the
| _target_ that gcc was built _for_. (like if you built a cross-compiler
| for m68k on a 686, where should it be placed?)
|
| I can test it on an old 586 later on today, and back off..

Yep, installed latest cygwin on an old 586, and gcc seemed to work,
sorry for threading on areas I don't know about.

        /Andy

* Re: Support in gcc for 586
@ 2001-04-23  7:40 ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2001-04-23  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolay Giraldo; +Cc: cygwin

Could it be something like gcc 2.95.3-3 requires cygwin 1.1.8??

        /Andy

/ "Nicolay Giraldo" <ni-giral@uniandes.edu.co> wrote:
| >There is no reason why the gcc that you were using should be unable
| >to work with 1.1.7.
| >
| >Again, if you are having problems, specific error messages are
| >an absolute requirement.
| >

| Windows Spanish version:
| El archivo CPP0.EXE está vinculado a un CYGWIN1.DLL:getrlimit de exportación
| que no existe.
|
| Using GCC 2.95.3-3 and Cygwin 1.1.7.
|
| Using GCC 2.95.2-6 and Cygwin 1.1.7 there is no error message.
| So what else can be ?
|
| Nicolay
|

| --

* RE: Support in gcc for 586