* 32-bit setup-x86.exe missing on cygwin.com
@ 2022-12-06  1:32 Olivier Souan
From: Olivier Souan @ 2022-12-06  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I am an enthusiastic user of Cygwin since a few years but now I cannot
download a functioning 32-bit setup-x86.exe from cygwin.com.

Indeed, the webpage "https://www.cygwin.com/install.html" reads:

"About 32 bit Cygwin
The limited address space of 32 bit Windows means that random failures
in the fork(2) system call are more likely. Therefore, we recommend
using 32 bit Cygwin only in limited scenarios, with only a minimum of
necessary packages installed, and only if there's no way to run 64 bit
Cygwin instead.
You have been warned. If you're still sure you really need a 32 bit
Cygwin, and there's absolutely no way around it, you may run the
setup-x86.exe [link to https://www.cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe]
installer. The signature can be used to verify the validity of this
binary."

However, when downloaded on a 32-bit computer from the abovementioned
link, setup-x86.exe yields the following error message:

"Cygwin is not supported on 32-bit Windows."

(I need this support to run legacy apps and do some low-level back-end
development). Moreover, since a few months/weeks, downloading with my
version setup-x86.exe (2.905) is impossible: after selecting a random
download website, the following error message appears:

"The current .ini file requires at least version 2.924 of setup.
Please download a newer version from
https://www.cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe"

Where can I find a 32-bit version of 2.924 setup-x86 ?

If 32-bit support is really not possible, would that be at least
possible either to:

1) Offer a truly functioning 32-bit version of setup-x86.exe, distinct
from setup-x86_64.exe, or
2) Open a legacy 32-bit download site where all the 32-bit compliant
packages would be stored.

Thanks for your consideration.

Best regards,

Olivier Souan

* Re: 32-bit setup-x86.exe missing on cygwin.com
@ 2022-12-06  2:01 ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2022-12-06  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Olivier Souan

On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 02:32:00 +0100
Olivier Souan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am an enthusiastic user of Cygwin since a few years but now I cannot
> download a functioning 32-bit setup-x86.exe from cygwin.com.
>
> Indeed, the webpage "https://www.cygwin.com/install.html" reads:
>
> "About 32 bit Cygwin
> The limited address space of 32 bit Windows means that random failures
> in the fork(2) system call are more likely. Therefore, we recommend
> using 32 bit Cygwin only in limited scenarios, with only a minimum of
> necessary packages installed, and only if there's no way to run 64 bit
> Cygwin instead.
> You have been warned. If you're still sure you really need a 32 bit
> Cygwin, and there's absolutely no way around it, you may run the
> setup-x86.exe [link to https://www.cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe]
> installer. The signature can be used to verify the validity of this
> binary."
>
> However, when downloaded on a 32-bit computer from the abovementioned
> link, setup-x86.exe yields the following error message:
>
> "Cygwin is not supported on 32-bit Windows."
>
> (I need this support to run legacy apps and do some low-level back-end
> development). Moreover, since a few months/weeks, downloading with my
> version setup-x86.exe (2.905) is impossible: after selecting a random
> download website, the following error message appears:
>
> "The current .ini file requires at least version 2.924 of setup.
> Please download a newer version from
> https://www.cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe"
>
> Where can I find a 32-bit version of 2.924 setup-x86 ?
>
> If 32-bit support is really not possible, would that be at least
> possible either to:
>
> 1) Offer a truly functioning 32-bit version of setup-x86.exe, distinct
> from setup-x86_64.exe, or
> 2) Open a legacy 32-bit download site where all the 32-bit compliant
> packages would be stored.

https://cygwin.com/install.html#unsupported
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2022-December/252573.html

You should add command line options to setup-x86.exe:
setup-x86.exe --allow-unsupported-windows --site http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/2022/11/23/063457

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>

* Re: 32-bit setup-x86.exe missing on cygwin.com
@ 2022-12-06  4:52   ` LnH
From: LnH @ 2022-12-06  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Yano; +Cc: cygwin, Olivier Souan

Works like a limpid stream... Fantastic!

Best,
Lawrence Habahbeh

[HG_resize.png]

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

@ 2022-12-06 19:58 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-12-06 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/12/2022 01:32, Olivier Souan via Cygwin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am an enthusiastic user of Cygwin since a few years but now I cannot
> download a functioning 32-bit setup-x86.exe from cygwin.com.
>
> Indeed, the webpage "https://www.cygwin.com/install.html" reads:
>
> "About 32 bit Cygwin
> The limited address space of 32 bit Windows means that random failures
> in the fork(2) system call are more likely. Therefore, we recommend
> using 32 bit Cygwin only in limited scenarios, with only a minimum of
> necessary packages installed, and only if there's no way to run 64 bit
> Cygwin instead.
> You have been warned. If you're still sure you really need a 32 bit
> Cygwin, and there's absolutely no way around it, you may run the
> setup-x86.exe [link to https://www.cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe]
> installer.

I've added the words "following the instructions above." to this sentence.

> If 32-bit support is really not possible, would that be at least
> possible either to:
>
> 1) Offer a truly functioning 32-bit version of setup-x86.exe, distinct
> from setup-x86_64.exe, or
> 2) Open a legacy 32-bit download site where all the 32-bit compliant
> packages would be stored.

This announcement may be of interest to you:

https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2022-November/010810.html

If you still have difficulty installing x86 Cygwin, or find the
instructions unclear, please let us know.