* cron running but not executing user crontab
@ 2018-01-15 20:50 Chris Johnson
From: Chris Johnson @ 2018-01-15 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Chris Johnson

Bit of a conundrum here.  Running WIN7 and cygwin64.  Have the terminal
running and Perl is installed and runs.  AFAIK, that all works.  Used
cygrunsrv to get cron going.  I can see cron in a ps -af in the
terminal.  I set up a crontab for my user and it's in /var/cron/tabs by
using crontab -e.

Doesn't seem to be running anything in the crontab.  I had wanted to run
a Perl script in a Windows Directory outside the cygwin structure but
using the /cygdrive/c etc path.  Ain't working.  Even tried the simplest
thing I could think of and created a line date > dt.txt on it.
Normally, under *nix this  would put the results of date in dt.txt in
the home directory.  Not there.

Just isn't running anything as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions.  I'd like to get this working.  Want am I missing?
Help  appreciated.  Thank you

--

Chris Johnson 	rchristopherjohnson@gmail.com
Ex SysAdmin, now, writer 	/The hardest thing in this world is to live in it.

* Re: cron running but not executing user crontab
@ 2018-01-15 22:08 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2018-01-15 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-01-15 13:48, Chris Johnson wrote:
> Bit of a conundrum here.  Running WIN7 and cygwin64.  Have the terminal running
> and Perl is installed and runs.  AFAIK, that all works.  Used cygrunsrv to get
> cron going.  I can see cron in a ps -af in the terminal.  I set up a crontab for
> my user and it's in /var/cron/tabs by using crontab -e.
>
> Doesn't seem to be running anything in the crontab.  I had wanted to run a Perl
> script in a Windows Directory outside the cygwin structure but using the
> /cygdrive/c etc path.  Ain't working.  Even tried the simplest thing I could
> think of and created a line date > dt.txt on it.  Normally, under *nix this
> would put the results of date in dt.txt in the home directory.  Not there.

Use /proc/cygdrive/c/... in case it ever changes, and specify absolute paths for
scripts and commands, as only minimal environments are setup, and
non-interactive shell startup scripts run.
Might need to specify other environment variables required in the crontab.
Ensure your perl script has Cygwin +x permissions and hashbang line.

> Just isn't running anything as far as I can tell.
>
> Any suggestions.  I'd like to get this working.  Want am I missing? Help
> appreciated.  Thank you

Add cron users to /var/cron/cron.allow (and maybe also a cron group), or touch
/var/cron/cron.deny to allow all users: see crontab(1).
Check /etc/crontab and /etc/cron.d/* are owned and writable only by the crond
user if they exist; /var/run/cron.pid and /var/log/cron.log exist and are owned
and writable only by the crond user; /var/cron/tabs/* exist and are owned by
their users and writable only by their owners; /var/run/cron.pid contains the
cron pid, and see what's in /var/log/cron.log.

* Re: cron running but not executing user crontab
@ 2018-01-15 22:18 ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2018-01-15 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/15/2018 2:48 PM, Chris Johnson wrote:

> Bit of a conundrum here.  Running WIN7 and cygwin64.  Have the terminal
> running and Perl is installed and runs.  AFAIK, that all works.  Used
> cygrunsrv to get cron going.

Not sure if I remember this right, but there is a cron-config in the
package, and that is what you are supposed to use to install it as a
service (and set a proper daemon user, file & dir access, etc.)  You
probably will have to undo whatever you did with cygrunsrv.

Better read /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/cron-4.1-65.README to be sure.

Hope this helps.
--
R. Berber