From: Will Parsons <varro@nodomain.invalid>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: msmtp depends on Gnome!?
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 19:27:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, 28 Mar 2018  9:40 PM -0400, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2018-03-28 15:50, Stephen Paul Carrier wrote:
>> msmtp is billed as a light-weight SMTP client and I would like to use
>> it with cron instead of ssmtp.
>> What's not light-weight is its dependency on libgnome-keyring0 which
>> has more dependencies that eventually bring in Gnome.  This is for a
>> headless workstation.
>> Is it possible to remove or replace this dependency so that msmtp can
>> be installed without enlarging the size of the install by such a factor?
>
> Look at the other packages under the Mail category e.g. email, mailutils, nmh.
> I've poked around with some of them, and most are pretty easy to set up and use,
> depending on your requirements.

That may be true, but it is still surprising that msmtp should depend
on libgnome-keyring0.  I don't use msmtp under Cygwin, but I do under
FreeBSD, and under the latter platform, my version of msmtp seems to
depend on:

        bash-4.4.12_3
        ca_root_nss-3.36
        indexinfo-0.3.1
        gettext-runtime-0.19.8.1_1

This obviously will not translate directly into Cygwin, but it
certainly suggests that the OP's comment is justified.  (I'll have to
admit, I don't know why even bash should be a dependency.)

--
Will