* Is there an alternative to gmane for managing this mailing list?
       [not found] <9ca69939-2a25-43d0-c855-f4ca4bb04024.ref@bellsouth.net>
@ 2020-12-17 21:07 ` Charles Russell
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Charles Russell @ 2020-12-17 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin cygwin

My ISP (AT&T) currently seems to be blocking mail to news.gmane.io. Is
there some other way to maintain thread coherence without subscribing to
the mailing list, which would inundate my inbox?

* Re: Is there an alternative to gmane for managing this mailing list?
@ 2020-12-18  8:36   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2020-12-18  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Russell, cygwin

Greetings, Charles Russell!

> My ISP (AT&T) currently seems to be blocking mail to news.gmane.io. Is
> there some other way to maintain thread coherence without subscribing to
> the mailing list, which would inundate my inbox?

Use email filtering to separate directories.
And use normal mail client already.
If your email provider does not support IMAP4, use a different mail host.
It's friggin' 21'th century. And it was not a problem even before it.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Is there an alternative to gmane for managing this mailing list?
@ 2020-12-18 21:31   ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2020-12-18 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin cygwin; +Cc: Charles Russell

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 at 21:07, Charles Russell wrote:
> My ISP (AT&T) currently seems to be blocking mail to news.gmane.io. Is
> there some other way to maintain thread coherence without subscribing to
> the mailing list, which would inundate my inbox?

As far as I know, the only officially supported ways to access the
mailing list are by subscribing and using it directly, or by browsing
the archives at https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/. Clearly a whole
bunch of people use gmane, but asking for help with it here is similar
to asking for help here with using Gmail or Outlook: it's nothing to
do with the Cygwin project per se, and you'll need to take it up with
your ISP and/or Gmane themselves.

If you're not willing to shift to using the mailing list directly, and
you're not willing to shift your email provider (I personally avoid
ISP-provided mail services as much as I can), I expect your best bet
would be to sign up for a mail forwarding service. I've used
Sneakemail in the past, which will let you set up new email addresses
that forward to your main mailbox, and "reverse" email addresses that
let you send mail from your mail service to an @sneakemail.com
address, where they'll be automatically forwarded to whatever email
address you specify when you set them up.

* Re: Is there an alternative to gmane for managing this mailing list?
@ 2020-12-19  7:40   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2020-12-19  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Charles Russell writes:
> My ISP (AT&T) currently seems to be blocking mail to news.gmane.io. Is
> there some other way to maintain thread coherence without subscribing
> to the mailing list, which would inundate my inbox?

Depends on whether your news reader allows you to send mail when
replying to the Gmane news feed.  Gnus does, for instance.

Regards,
Achim.

@ 2020-12-19 22:10     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-12-19 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-12-19 00:40, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Charles Russell writes:
>> My ISP (AT&T) currently seems to be blocking mail to news.gmane.io. Is
>> there some other way to maintain thread coherence without subscribing
>> to the mailing list, which would inundate my inbox?
>
> Depends on whether your news reader allows you to send mail when
> replying to the Gmane news feed.  Gnus does, for instance.

The OP uses Thunderbird so that should also work if also used for news reading.

* Re: Is there an alternative to gmane for managing this mailing list?
@ 2020-12-20 21:23       ` Charles Russell
From: Charles Russell @ 2020-12-20 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/19/2020 4:10 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2020-12-19 00:40, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Charles Russell writes:
>>> My ISP (AT&T) currently seems to be blocking mail to news.gmane.io. Is
>>> there some other way to maintain thread coherence without subscribing
>>> to the mailing list, which would inundate my inbox?
>>
>> Depends on whether your news reader allows you to send mail when
>> replying to the Gmane news feed.  Gnus does, for instance.
>
> The OP uses Thunderbird so that should also work if also used for news
> reading.

And indeed it has been working for at least several years.

Just got a message from AT&T saying they have unblocked gmane in
response to my request.  Let's see - here goes -