* cvs
@ 2000-12-17 17:14 Lothan
From: Lothan @ 2000-12-17 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

I'm using Cygwin 1.1.6 (full install from scratch using the setup tool) on
Windows 2000 SP1 and am attempting to check out the gnome sources from
:pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome. Everything was working well
until it got to the gdm folder, at which point it stopped with the error
unable to rename "gdm/config/.new.:0" to ":0". This brought up an
interesting problem because bash (ls -al) could not see any files in the
config directory even though Windows Explorer clearly showed a file named
".new.". Even funnier is that neither bash, Windows Exploroer nor a windows
command prompt could delete this file; and neither bash nor Windows Explorer
could remove the directory (Explorer complained that it couldn't read the
source file or the disk). I finally managed to get the directory deleted
from a Windows command prompt.

lothan@LOTHAN2 ~/test
$ ls -a
.        ..       .new.    a.exe    test.c   test2.c

lothan@LOTHAN2 ~/test
$ ls -al
ls: .new.: No such file or directory
total 13
drwxr-xr-x   2 lothan   None            0 Dec 17 17:10 .
drwxr-xr-x   4 lothan   None         4096 Dec 17 16:24 ..
-rwxr-xr-x   1 lothan   None        17742 Dec 17 17:10 a.exe
-rw-r--r--   1 lothan   None          196 Dec 17 16:58 test.c
-rw-r--r--   1 lothan   None           93 Dec 17 17:10 test2.c

I can duplicate the behavior quite easily using this code:

#include <sys/unistd.h>
#include <sys/fcntl.h>

main()
{
    int f;

    /* open() also works */
    f = creat(".new.:0", O_RDWR | O_CREAT);
    write(f, "this is a test\n", 15);
    close(f);
}

WARNING: run the resulting executable in an empty directory. The only way I
can delete the file is to delete the directory from a Windows command prompt
(rd test). I did try unlink(".new.:0") but it failed.

* Re: cvs
@ 2000-12-17 17:50 ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2000-12-17 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lothan; +Cc: Cygwin

':' is an illegal character for file names on windows.  Your best bet is
to pursuade the gnome folks to change the name of that file.  It's
possible you could create a gdb/config/.cvsignore file that somehow
specifies ':0' as a file to be ignored.  But I don't know the syntax for
that...

--Chuck

Lothan wrote:

> I'm using Cygwin 1.1.6 (full install from scratch using the setup tool) on
> Windows 2000 SP1 and am attempting to check out the gnome sources from
> :pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome. Everything was working well
> until it got to the gdm folder, at which point it stopped with the error
> unable to rename "gdm/config/.new.:0" to ":0". This brought up an
> interesting problem because bash (ls -al) could not see any files in the
> config directory even though Windows Explorer clearly showed a file named
> ".new.". Even funnier is that neither bash, Windows Exploroer nor a windows
> command prompt could delete this file; and neither bash nor Windows Explorer
> could remove the directory (Explorer complained that it couldn't read the
> source file or the disk). I finally managed to get the directory deleted
> from a Windows command prompt.
>
> lothan@LOTHAN2 ~/test
> $ ls -a
> .        ..       .new.    a.exe    test.c   test2.c
>
> lothan@LOTHAN2 ~/test
> $ ls -al
> ls: .new.: No such file or directory
> total 13
> drwxr-xr-x   2 lothan   None            0 Dec 17 17:10 .
> drwxr-xr-x   4 lothan   None         4096 Dec 17 16:24 ..
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 lothan   None        17742 Dec 17 17:10 a.exe
> -rw-r--r--   1 lothan   None          196 Dec 17 16:58 test.c
> -rw-r--r--   1 lothan   None           93 Dec 17 17:10 test2.c
>
> I can duplicate the behavior quite easily using this code:
>
> #include <sys/unistd.h>
> #include <sys/fcntl.h>
>
> main()
> {
>     int f;
>
>     /* open() also works */
>     f = creat(".new.:0", O_RDWR | O_CREAT);
>     write(f, "this is a test\n", 15);
>     close(f);
> }
>
> WARNING: run the resulting executable in an empty directory. The only way I
> can delete the file is to delete the directory from a Windows command prompt
> (rd test). I did try unlink(".new.:0") but it failed.
>
> --

* Re: cvs
@ 2000-12-18  3:30 ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2000-12-18  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Hi Lothan,

"Lothan" <lothan@newsguy.com> writes:
> I'm using Cygwin 1.1.6 (full install from scratch using the setup
> tool) on Windows 2000 SP1 and am attempting to check out the gnome
[...]
>     f = creat(".new.:0", O_RDWR | O_CREAT);
[...]
> WARNING: run the resulting executable in an empty directory. The
> only way I can delete the file is to delete the directory from a
> Windows command prompt (rd test). I did try unlink(".new.:0") but it
> failed.

Interesting problem ;-)

When you use a filename "something:somename" on NTFS you actually
access the "alternate data stream" named "somename" in the file called
"something".  "Alternate data streams" is the technology that MS uses
to implement MacOS resource forks (for their Appletalk server) and how
they attach other additional info to files.

OTOH trailing periods in filenames are stripped by the Win32
subsystem, but not by the NT kernel or the NTFS file system driver.
This can cause some confusion.  In this case, because the period was
not "trailing" in the original filename ".new.:0", NT actually created
a file called ".new.".  But because the Win32 subsystem strips
trailing periods, you can't access the filename without the stream
part, e.g. to delete the file.

Note that you can always undercut the Win32 subsystem by giving the
full Windows path and prepend "\\?\" as a marker that the name should
be used as-is by all modules that would otherwise try some kind of
parsing.  E.g. something like

  rm '\\?\c:\tmp\.new.'

worked in my experiments.

so long, benny
--
ISION Internet AG
Benjamin Riefenstahl

Harburger Schlossstr. 1
D-21079 Hamburg
http://www.ision.net

* Re: cvs
@ 2001-04-28  7:21 ` Michael A. Chase
From: Michael A. Chase @ 2001-04-28  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Yakimov, cygwin

If you performed a complete Cygwin install, cvs is already installed.  You
can confirm it's present by running 'cvs --help' (without the quotes) at the
Cygwin shell prompt.  Documentation is available by running 'info cvs'.

If it is not present, run setup.exe and select cvs for installation.  You
may need to uninstall and re-install cvs if setup.exe thinks it is already
installed.
--
Mac :})
Give a hobbit a fish and he'll eat fish for a day.
From: Dmitry Yakimov @ 2001-04-28  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,
Where can I get cygwin cvs?
I've read that I should download contrib package, but where can I get it?
Is it necessary for me to download the sources and compile them on my
machine?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Dmitry Yakimov

* CVS
@ 1999-08-31 23:49 ` Przemys&lstrok;aw G. Gawro&nacute;ski
From: Przemys&lstrok;aw G. Gawro&nacute;ski @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Where can I get CVS for cygwin ?

Thankx

Przemek

--
Przemyslaw G. Gawronski UIN:8358522
mailto:gawronskip@usa.net

* CVS
@ 1999-08-04  6:16 Przemys&lstrok;aw G. Gawro&nacute;ski
From: Przemys&lstrok;aw G. Gawro&nacute;ski @ 1999-08-04  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1998-11-30 10:45 marc_auslander
From: marc_auslander @ 1998-11-30 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Just after it was released, I put B20 on a Win95 OSR1 system.  Some time
after that, I noticed that CVS was failing (details below).  For many
reasons, I've gone back to B19.  CVS continues to fail.  The cvs.exe was
build for B19.  I don't know for sure that the failures are related to
installing and then removing B20.

The failure appears to be that CVS can't fork/exec.  When it tries to run
patch (update) or an editor (commit) the child process fails with
STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION.  Other programs which fork/exec (bash, xargs)
continue to work.

Any suggestions?

Marc Auslander   <Marc_Auslander@us.ibm.com>   914 945-4346  (Fax x4425)

-

* CVS
@ 1997-02-24 13:18 Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 1997-02-24 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Has anybody ported CVS to compile and run under GNU-WIN32?  I was able
to compile it with only a few minor modifications "out of the box",
but I ran into some problems once I started trying to use it.  After
some investigation, it appears that my problems are related to the
infamous CR/LF problem.  After some further investigation, I realized
that CVS has already solved this problem -- when compiled with the
Microsoft 32 bit compiler.  I thought that, before I went through the
trouble of trying to back (hack?) in the existing changes, I would ask
if anybody else has already done this.

I would have checked the GNU-WIN32 repository, but I seem to have lost
my pointer to it.

--
-patrick
wdoyle@cdsp.neu.edu

Happiness is a Babylon 5 episode I've never seen before.
-