* Strange behavior of Python Package Index
@ 2020-01-06 14:22 Kptain
From: Kptain @ 2020-01-06 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 Hi,

 Something is strange with Python Package  Index (PIP):

 I have selected python38-tkinter package for the Cygwin setup.

Tkinter is available when I start python3.8, but when I try to check list of
packages installed with pip3.8,
tkinter is not listed.

It seems that all packages selected from Cygwin setup are missing.
Only packages installed with command pip3.8 install are listed.

Could someone explain what is wrong with my setup?

Thanks in advance,

--
Sent from: http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Cygwin-list-f3.html

* Re: Strange behavior of Python Package Index
@ 2020-01-06 14:44 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-01-06 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 06.01.2020 um 15:23 schrieb Kptain:

>   Hi,
>
>   Something is strange with Python Package  Index (PIP):
>
>   I have selected python38-tkinter package for the Cygwin setup.
>
> Tkinter is available when I start python3.8, but when I try to check list of
> packages installed with pip3.8,
> tkinter is not listed.
>
> It seems that all packages selected from Cygwin setup are missing.
> Only packages installed with command pip3.8 install are listed.
>

> Could someone explain what is wrong with my setup?

have you noticed that 3.6 is still default and 3.8 has
very few packages ?

https://cygwin.com/packages/package_list.html

* Re: Strange behavior of Python Package Index
@ 2020-01-07 11:37   ` Kptain
From: Kptain @ 2020-01-07 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

In fact, I have tried with Python 3.6 and Python 3.7 with the same result.

It seems path where python modules are stored is different from path used by
pip installer.

The problem is in that case that command 'pip3.x list' provides a wrong
overview of real python packages installed.  There is probably a good
reason, but i do not know why.

--

@ 2020-01-30  2:52     ` airplanemath via cygwin
From: airplanemath via cygwin @ 2020-01-30  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I have selected python38-tkinter package for the Cygwin setup.

> Tkinter is available when I start python3.8, but when I try to check list of
> packages installed with pip3.8,
> tkinter is not listed.

> It seems that all packages selected from Cygwin setup are missing.
> Only packages installed with command pip3.8 install are listed.

python??
python??-devel
python??-test
python??-tkinter
python??-debuginfo
idle??

are all built from the CPython source.  None of the corresponding files
would be recognized by pip on any platform, as they are part of base
python, rather than third-party extensions.  |pip3.8 list| will also not
recognize python38 as being installed, no matter what setup.exe tells
you, for much the same reason.

All other python??-* packages ([1]) were installed using pip, so |pip list|
will find them just fine.

Short version: Cygwin package != PyPI package, and pip only cares about
the latter

[1] except the python??-*-debuginfo packages