* Re: xpdf relocation error
@ 2016-05-14 10:57 Jaakov Jaakov
From: Jaakov Jaakov @ 2016-05-14 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Dear Mark:

However, after simple "rebase -i cygXt-6.dll" xpdf still cannot start. What one had to do for my system is

rebase -b 0xf7300000 cygXt-6.dll

This rebasement does not seem to survive updates or reinstalls. I know that rebasement is difficult, but still, could you, perhaps, solve it in a more long-term way?

Thanks in advance,

Jaakov

* Re: xpdf relocation error
@ 2016-05-14 16:15 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-05-14 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Dr. Volker Zell

On 5/14/2016 6:56 AM, Jaakov Jaakov wrote:
> This rebasement does not seem to survive updates or reinstalls. I know
> that rebasement is difficult, but still, could you, perhaps, solve it in
> a more long-term way?

As was pointed out in the first post on this subject
(https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-04/msg00365.html), simply
rebuilding from source with the current gcc seems to fix the problem.
I've also verified this.

I assume the xpdf maintainer, Volker Zell, will rebuild it when he has a
chance.  In the meantime, are you able to build it yourself?  If not, I
can provide a binary for you.

Ken

* Re: xpdf relocation error
@ 2016-05-18 19:07   ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2016-05-18 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

    > On 5/14/2016 6:56 AM, Jaakov Jaakov wrote:
    >> This rebasement does not seem to survive updates or reinstalls. I know
    >> that rebasement is difficult, but still, could you, perhaps, solve it in
    >> a more long-term way?

    > As was pointed out in the first post on this subject
    > (https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-04/msg00365.html), simply rebuilding from
    > source with the current gcc seems to fix the problem. I've also verified this.

    > I assume the xpdf maintainer, Volker Zell, will rebuild it when he has a chance.
    > In the meantime, are you able to build it yourself?  If not, I can provide a
    > binary for you.

Will rebuild in last week of june, no cygwin time right now...

    > Ken

Ciao
  Volker

* Re: xpdf relocation error
@ 2016-05-28 22:01 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-05-28 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/28/2016 6:04 AM, Jaakov Jaakov wrote:
> I selected xpdf only, and put everything else into "keep", but after my
> choice setup also strongly suggested perl-Lingua-Translit as "required
> by biber", though both biber and perl-Lingua-Translit were explicitly
> set to "keep". This is counterintutitive.

Here's the explanation: perl-Lingua-Translit is not yet in the Cygwin
distribution; so you don't currently have it installed, and setting it
to "keep" has no effect.  It will be a requirement of the next version
of biber, which is what is in my repository.  You can safely ignore
setup's suggestion that you install perl-Lingua-Translit.

Ken

* Re: xpdf relocation error
@ 2016-05-28 21:57 Jaakov Jaakov
From: Jaakov Jaakov @ 2016-05-28 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Ken Brown wrote:
---
You can get my build of xpdf-3.04-1 from my personal Cygwin repository:

  http://www.sanibeltranquility.com/cygwin/

There are instructions there.

Be careful what you install. I have a lot of updated packages there for my own use and/or testing. As far as I know, they all work well. But you might not feel like being a guinea pig.
Ken
---

I selected xpdf only, and put everything else into "keep", but after my choice setup also strongly suggested perl-Lingua-Translit as "required by biber", though both biber and perl-Lingua-Translit were explicitly set to "keep". This is counterintutitive. Said that, I'd better wait a bit for an xpdf version in the standard cygwin repository. Reason: I do not want to update biber-related stuff from anywhere except standard cygwin repository since it's production-critical for me.

Thank you anyway!
Jaakov.

* Re: xpdf relocation error
@ 2016-05-28 21:22 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-05-28 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2016-05-28 21:09 Jaakov Jaakov
From: Jaakov Jaakov @ 2016-05-28 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Volker wrote:

>    > On 5/14/2016 6:56 AM, Jaakov Jaakov wrote:
>    >> This rebasement does not seem to survive updates or reinstalls. I know
>    >> that rebasement is difficult, but still, could you, perhaps, solve it in
>    >> a more long-term way?
>
>    > As was pointed out in the first post on this subject
>    > (https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-04/msg00365.html), simply rebuilding from
>    > source with the current gcc seems to fix the problem. I've also verified this.
>
>    > I assume the xpdf maintainer, Volker Zell, will rebuild it when he has a chance.
>    > In the meantime, are you able to build it yourself?  If not, I can provide a
>    > binary for you.
>
>Will rebuild in last week of june, no cygwin time right now...
>
>    > Ken
>
>Ciao
>  Volker
Dear Ken:

Sorry it took me quite a bit to reply. Thank you a lot for the offer. If you really can rebuild earlier than Volker and upload a new binary package version (I guess, 3.03-5), please do so.

Thank you in advance.
Jaakov.

* Re: xpdf relocation error
       [not found] <1462710225.11142.ezmlm@cygwin.com>
@ 2016-05-13 20:23 ` Jaakov Jaakov
From: Jaakov Jaakov @ 2016-05-13 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Mark:

After rebooting and starting a fresh non-X terminal, rebasing worked. xpdf starts again. Thanks!

* Re: xpdf relocation error
@ 2016-05-07  4:22 ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2016-05-07  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jaakov Jaakov <j_k_v <at> ro.ru> writes:
> Dear Mark et al., dear developers:
>
> Finally I got the culprit machine again.
>
>  > Sorry but my suspicion expressed earlier, that there's an address
>
>  > collision, was incorrect.   The rebase source code shows it's a
Windows

>  > error code being reported, and it's Windows' ReBaseImage64()
function

>  > itself having some issue operating on the cygXt-6.dll file.   Do
you have

>  > write access to that file and its directory?
>
>  I do. Here we go (started from a non-X terminal):
>
> admin <at> hostname:~$ xpdf
>
>  Cygwin runtime failure: /usr/bin/xpdf.exe: Invalid relocation.
Offset 0x2f6e3bad9 at address
> 0x100494523 doesn't fit into 32 bits
>
> admin <at> hostname:~$ ls -la /usr/bin/cygXt-6.dll
>
>  -rwxr-xr-x 1 admin None 333855 29. Jan 21:27 /usr/bin/cygXt-6.dll
>
> admin <at> hostname:~$ ls -la /usr/
>
>  insgesamt 920
>
>  drwxr-xr-x+ 1 admin None 0 28. Nov 13:24 .
>
>  drwxr-xr-x+ 1 admin None 0 15. Aug 2015   ..
>
>  drwxr-xr-x+ 1 admin None 0 17. Apr 22:23 bin

>  As we see, the write attributes for "admin" are set, and I am "admin"

That all looks perfectly normal to me, and exactly what I see on my own
systems.  But your explicit mention of using a non-X terminal suggested
another possible reason for rebase failure: the cygXt-6.dll is very
likely to be in-use, and thus busy as far as Windows is concerned, if
you're running an X server and/or xterms etc. at the same time you're
trying to rebase that DLL.

Try closing all xterms, background X apps, and the X server and any X
window manager you may be running.  All processes related to X, in other
words.  Then retry the rebase of cygXt-6.dll.

..mark

* xpdf relocation error
@ 2016-05-06 14:50 Jaakov Jaakov
From: Jaakov Jaakov @ 2016-05-06 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

admin@hostname:~$ xpdf

 Cygwin runtime failure: /usr/bin/xpdf.exe: Invalid relocation.   Offset 0x2f6e3bad9 at address 0x100494523 doesn't fit into 32 bits

admin@hostname:~$ ls -la /usr/bin/cygXt-6.dll

 -rwxr-xr-x 1 admin None 333855 29. Jan 21:27 /usr/bin/cygXt-6.dll

admin@hostname:~$ ls -la /usr/

 insgesamt 920

 drwxr-xr-x+ 1 admin None 0 28. Nov 13:24 .

 drwxr-xr-x+ 1 admin None 0 15. Aug 2015   ..

 drwxr-xr-x+ 1 admin None 0 17. Apr 22:23 bin

 As we see, the write attributes for "admin" are set, and I am "admin"

Best regards,

Jaakov