public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* DocBook to LaTex?
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 Sylvan Ravinet
From: Sylvan Ravinet @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

Hello folks,

Do you know a tool to convert from DocBook SGML or XML DTD to LaTex
format?
(I don't mean to JadeTex or such format, I really mean to LaTex format,
processable by TeTex for example)

Thank you for your help,

-Sylvan

* Re: DocBook to LaTex?
@ 2000-12-27  6:36     ` Jochem Huhmann
From: Jochem Huhmann @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

 * Rahul Dave <rahul@reno.cis.upenn.edu> wrote:
> There are actually 2 tools available to do this:
>
> Konrad Hinsen has written a script to do dome docbook conversions, and
> SGMLS.pm from David Megginson also has similar functionality. Both
> tools dont do many tags, but are very easily extensable, being written
> in sane scripting languages ..:-) Dunno where to find them, but a
> search will bring up something...

I know
ftp://ftp.sol.no/public/users/v/vigu/sgml/dtd/docbook/docbk2latex.pl
and the db2x-SCripts at
http://shell.ipoline.com/~elmert/comp/docbook2X/
which do a conversion to Texinfo.

        Jochem

* Re: DocBook to LaTex?
@ 2000-12-27  6:36             ` Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvan Ravinet; +Cc: Jochem Huhmann, docbook-tools-discuss

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 04:16:00PM +0200, Sylvan Ravinet wrote:

> > It's no more there, yes. And I don't have a copy of it either. This
> > script was quite primitive btw, everyone with a scriptable parser (perl,
> > python, tcl...)  and some knowlegde of DocBook and LaTeX should be able
> > to write a script that converts a given instance of (a subset of)
> > DocBook.
>
> So what would be the "design" of such a script? I can think of some
> regexps, but maybe it's not the best way (I never manipulated any XML
> parser)

Seems that this tool (bcc) can do the job.
I've just downloaded that and I'll try to convert some documents into
LaTeX documents.

http://www.multimania.com/jcalles/XML/

--
Godoy.	<godoy@conectiva.com.br>               GPG Fingerprint
                                         851B B620 626D 2AD0 E783

Except where explicitly stated I speak on my own behalf.
Exceto onde explicitado as declarações aqui feitas são apenas minhas.

* Re: DocBook to LaTex?
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 ` Mark Galassi
From: Mark Galassi @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvan Ravinet; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

    Sylvan> Hello folks, Do you know a tool to convert from DocBook
    Sylvan> SGML or XML DTD to LaTex format?  (I don't mean to JadeTex
    Sylvan> or such format, I really mean to LaTex format, processable
    Sylvan> by TeTex for example)

I don't know of any currently supported approach to that, unless you
go a long route with db2html and then html2latex and do a lot of
hand-editing.

But your question might reveal some confusion about the whole TeX
scenario. teTeX is just a TeX distribution that will handle latex and
jadetex quite nicely, as long as you have all the macros installed.

Also, I think that current versions of jadetex are based on top of
latex, for what that's worth.

* Re: DocBook to LaTex?
@ 2000-12-27  6:36           ` Sylvan Ravinet
From: Sylvan Ravinet @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jochem Huhmann; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

Jochem Huhmann wrote:

> > > ftp://ftp.sol.no/public/users/v/vigu/sgml/dtd/docbook/docbk2latex.pl
> It's no more there, yes. And I don't have a copy of it either. This
> script was quite primitive btw, everyone with a scriptable parser (perl,
> python, tcl...)  and some knowlegde of DocBook and LaTeX should be able
> to write a script that converts a given instance of (a subset of)
> DocBook.

So what would be the "design" of such a script? I can think of some
regexps, but maybe it's not the best way (I never manipulated any XML
parser)

>And I'm quite sure that a lot of people have written such
> throw-away scripts.

Then people please tell us about - or throw us - yours! :-)

>The hard part is covering *all* DocBook markup in a
> meaningful way and building LaTeX constructs from this which make
> typographically sense. But I would like to see at least a extensible
> framework to do such a conversion too.

I can spend some little time on this, if we and others wanna join.

Jade and JadeTex are definitely not my cup of tea...

Regards,

-Sylvan
Sylvan Ravinet - Contact information:
http://www.ravinet.com/contact-info.html

From: Jochem Huhmann @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

 * Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com.br> wrote:

> > > It's no more there, yes. And I don't have a copy of it either. This
> > > script was quite primitive btw, everyone with a scriptable parser (perl,
> > > python, tcl...)  and some knowlegde of DocBook and LaTeX should be able
> > > to write a script that converts a given instance of (a subset of)
> > > DocBook.
> >
> > So what would be the "design" of such a script? I can think of some
> > regexps, but maybe it's not the best way (I never manipulated any XML
> > parser)
>
> Seems that this tool (bcc) can do the job.
> I've just downloaded that and I'll try to convert some documents into
> LaTeX documents.
>

> http://www.multimania.com/jcalles/XML/

Oh dear. This is written in scheme, you need a scheme compiler (bigloo)
to get it up and running. And patience, since this is written in C++,
compiling took its time. The example scripts are a toolchain to convert
the old LinuxDoc-DTD to DocBook (the ld2db stylesheet from the newer
sgmltools does this also very fine, btw.) and then to LaTeX. Since
LinuxDoc is very simple (no tables, no graphics) the supported DocBook
is also quite simple. This surely can be extented (and bigloo comes with
a nice IDE for XEmacs, too), but all the comments in the code are in
french. I haven't even tried to understand what's going on in there.

If I would start to code such a converter, I would use tcl, perl or
python.

From: Jochem Huhmann @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

 * Sylvan Ravinet <sylvan@ravinet.com> wrote:

> > It's no more there, yes. And I don't have a copy of it either. This
> > script was quite primitive btw, everyone with a scriptable parser (perl,
> > python, tcl...)  and some knowlegde of DocBook and LaTeX should be able
> > to write a script that converts a given instance of (a subset of)
> > DocBook.
>
> So what would be the "design" of such a script? I can think of some
> regexps, but maybe it's not the best way (I never manipulated any XML
> parser)

You don't have to dig around in the sgml with regexps yourself. Look for
readily available packages for your favourite scripting language (I like
tclxml by Steve Ball a lot) and look at the documentation. It's quite
simple, I've hacked up a script to convert the contents of the
revhistory element to HTML this morning, just 50 lines of code,
including HTML headers and such.

> >And I'm quite sure that a lot of people have written such
> > throw-away scripts.
>
> Then people please tell us about - or throw us - yours! :-)

Such scripts tend to be ugly, undocumented and thrown away as early as
possible ;-) Especially my scripts, since I'm actually not a programmer.

> >The hard part is covering *all* DocBook markup in a
> > meaningful way and building LaTeX constructs from this which make
> > typographically sense. But I would like to see at least a extensible
> > framework to do such a conversion too.
>
> I can spend some little time on this, if we and others wanna join.

I guess the best thing one could do to get a start is to start
coding. But since the ways to get a result for a given problem as fast
as possible or to get a solid framework are quite different...

> Jade and JadeTex are definitely not my cup of tea...

I'm quite lucky these are available at all. But I've never really tried
to understand JadeTex.

From: Jochem Huhmann @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

 * Sylvan Ravinet <sylvan@ravinet.com> wrote:
> > ftp://ftp.sol.no/public/users/v/vigu/sgml/dtd/docbook/docbk2latex.pl
>
> Even with multiple attempts, I never managed to access to this.

It's no more there, yes. And I don't have a copy of it either. This
script was quite primitive btw, everyone with a scriptable parser (perl,
python, tcl...)  and some knowlegde of DocBook and LaTeX should be able
to write a script that converts a given instance of (a subset of)
DocBook. And I'm quite sure that a lot of people have written such
throw-away scripts. The hard part is covering *all* DocBook markup in a

From: Sylvan Ravinet @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jochem Huhmann; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

Jochem Huhmann wrote:

>  * Rahul Dave <rahul@reno.cis.upenn.edu> wrote:
> > There are actually 2 tools available to do this:
> >
> > Konrad Hinsen has written a script to do dome docbook conversions,

I did not find it...

> and
> > SGMLS.pm from David Megginson also has similar functionality.

Did not cheked yet that one

>Both
> > tools dont do many tags, but are very easily extensable, being written
> > in sane scripting languages ..:-) Dunno where to find them, but a
> > search will bring up something...

Well yes it did... but not what I was looking for :-(

> I know
> ftp://ftp.sol.no/public/users/v/vigu/sgml/dtd/docbook/docbk2latex.pl

Even with multiple attempts, I never managed to access to this.

> and the db2x-SCripts at
> http://shell.ipoline.com/~elmert/comp/docbook2X/
> which do a conversion to Texinfo.

Had anyone better luck with these conversion tools from DocBook SGML or
XML DTD to LaTeX?

-Sylvan

* Re: DocBook to LaTex?
@ 2000-12-27  6:36                 ` Rahul Dave
From: Rahul Dave @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jochem Huhmann; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

SGMLS.pm:
http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/David_Megginson/
Rahul
I got this from you:

>  * Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com.br> wrote:

> > > So what would be the "design" of such a script? I can think of some
> > > regexps, but maybe it's not the best way (I never manipulated any XML
> > > parser)
> >
> > Seems that this tool (bcc) can do the job.
> > I've just downloaded that and I'll try to convert some documents into
> > LaTeX documents.
> >

> > http://www.multimania.com/jcalles/XML/
>
> Oh dear. This is written in scheme, you need a scheme compiler (bigloo)
> to get it up and running. And patience, since this is written in C++,
> compiling took its time. The example scripts are a toolchain to convert
> the old LinuxDoc-DTD to DocBook (the ld2db stylesheet from the newer
> sgmltools does this also very fine, btw.) and then to LaTeX. Since
> LinuxDoc is very simple (no tables, no graphics) the supported DocBook
> is also quite simple. This surely can be extented (and bigloo comes with
> a nice IDE for XEmacs, too), but all the comments in the code are in
> french. I haven't even tried to understand what's going on in there.
>
> If I would start to code such a converter, I would use tcl, perl or
> python.
>
>         Jochem
>
> --
> Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!

* Re: DocBook to LaTex?
@ 2000-12-27  6:36   ` Rahul Dave
From: Rahul Dave @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Galassi; +Cc: Sylvan Ravinet, docbook-tools-discuss