public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
From: esr@thyrsus.com
To: Mark Galassi <rosalia@galassi.org>
Cc: Docbook Tools discussion list
	<docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Subject: Re: new tools coming and a couple of renamings
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 06:36:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Mark Galassi <rosalia@galassi.org>:
> So my proposal is to deprecate the db2* names in favor of the
> docbook2* names.  This phase-out would be extremely slow, since
> thousands of build procedures use the db2* scripts now.
>
> Anyone wanna contribute an opinion?

What?  You want to make me type six whole extra letters for *each* *name*?

:-)

Seriously, I would probably be firm that it ain't worth the hassle if
it weren't for the fact that that "db" prefix looks like it has
something to do with databases.  Removing ambiguity is good.  On the
other hand, it's proper Unix tradition to have short names for a
reason -- it saves typing for hapless fumble-fingers like me.

So I'm just a touch on the negative side of neutral on this one.  We'd
say "-0" in Python-land.
--

The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any
member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm