public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* Re: figures' sizes in latex
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 ` Mark Galassi
From: Mark Galassi @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Ismael> 	I'm usign figures as this

    Ismael> 	<![ %PRINTONLY [<graphic width="5.5in" depth="3in"
    Ismael> scalefit="1" fileref="./figs/figure.eps"></graphic>]]>

    Ismael> but latex seems to ignore the sizes.

I'll see if Norm Walsh answers this one, since it's been a while since
I played with it.  But one workaround is to size your postscript
figure the way you want it in the first place.

    Ismael> 	I create the eps files from gifs converted with
    Ismael> convert (ImageMagik).

Are the graphics originally raster or vector pictures?

* Re: figures' sizes in latex
@ 2000-12-27  6:36   ` David C. Mason
From: David C. Mason @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Galassi <rosalia@lanl.gov> writes:

> I'll see if Norm Walsh answers this one, since it's been a while since
> I played with it.  But one workaround is to size your postscript
> figure the way you want it in the first place.

This is exactly what I do - I wrote a small script 'img2eps' to
convert gifs to eps with an option '--width' so I can scale the image
to fit on a page. All processes are common linux commands (ImageMagik
included) - I also made the images grey-scale since I only print
b&w. If you would like a copy of the script let me know.

Dave

--

          David Mason
        Red Hat AD Labs

        dcm@redhat.com

* Re: figures' sizes in latex
@ 2000-12-27  6:36     ` Ismael Olea
From: Ismael Olea @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Mason" escribió:

> This is exactly what I do - I wrote a small script 'img2eps' to
> convert gifs to eps with an option '--width' so I can scale the image
> to fit on a page. All processes are common linux commands (ImageMagik
> included) - I also made the images grey-scale since I only print
> b&w. If you would like a copy of the script let me know.

	I'm truly interested. I'd wish to help to improve the system to do it
automagically but I'm not sure to have neither knowledge or time for it
:-/

--
	A.Ismael Olea González

	mailto:olea@hispafuentes.com

* Re: Figures (was figures' sizes in latex)
@ 2000-12-27  6:36   ` Mark Galassi
From: Mark Galassi @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Jorge> Talking about figures, what's the correct way of using
    Jorge> figures when the desired output will be published on-line
    Jorge> and in a book?

I always had my Makefile run "convert" (or other scripts) to make sure
that there was always a .gif (should probably be .png) and a .eps
file, at which point I did not put the extension in my "fileref"
attribute.  It works reasonably.

    Jorge> Do I need to have pictures in EPS (or PS) format and in
    Jorge> another (e.g. JPEG) format? Isn't there a way of using only
    Jorge> one graphical format for all outputs? EPS pictures are
    Jorge> _really_ BIG.

If you use pdf output, it should be able to handle .jpg directly, but
I have not played with this much.  Anyone else?

* figures' sizes in latex
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 Ismael Olea
From: Ismael Olea @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Hi:

	I'm usign figures as this

	<![ %PRINTONLY [<graphic  width="5.5in" depth="3in" scalefit="1"
fileref="./figs/figure.eps"></graphic>]]>

but latex seems to ignore the sizes.

	I create the eps files from gifs converted with convert (ImageMagik).

--
	A.Ismael Olea González

	mailto:olea@hispalinux.es
	mailto:olea@hispafuentes.com
	2:345/108.9@fidonet.org

	El mundo debe empezar a tener miedo a un planeta DEF

* Re: figures' sizes in latex
@ 2000-12-27  6:36   ` Ismael Olea
From: Ismael Olea @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Galassi escribió:

	Hi again!

	After months avoiding the problem, it's still alive... :-)

>     Ismael>     <![ %PRINTONLY [<graphic width="5.5in" depth="3in"
>     Ismael> scalefit="1" fileref="./figs/figure.eps"></graphic>]]>
>
>     Ismael> but latex seems to ignore the sizes.
>
> I'll see if Norm Walsh answers this one, since it's been a while since
> I played with it.

	I didn't saw any Norm answer about this issue. Do you think it could be
a jadetex problem rather than docbook?

>  But one workaround is to size your postscript
> figure the way you want it in the first place.

	I suppose, but it's not an elegant solution :-/

>     Ismael>     I create the eps files from gifs converted with
>     Ismael> convert (ImageMagik).
>
> Are the graphics originally raster or vector pictures?

	Bitmap pictures.

--

@ 2000-12-27  6:36 ` Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)