public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* ANNOUNCEMENT: New docbook-tools packages
@ 2000-12-27  6:36     ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-utils; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

Hi all,

The DocBook-tools have been repackaged at

	ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/docbook-tools/new-trials

They have been becoming more and more stable since Mark's
latest announcement. Hopefully we will move them to
"docware" directory soon.

1) Changes
----------

Changes to the external packages:
- Stylesheets: 1.44 => 1.54
- DTD: was 3.0 and 3.1, added DocBook 4.0 and 4.1,
  one can install only the one(s) he/shee needs
- jadetex: 2.7 => 2.20

Changes to the docbook-utils:
- modularity: separated
  o the input format drivers
  o the main program
  o the output format drivers
  (one could even use another frontend than DocBook!)
- support for man and info output
- auto-detection of the needed catalogs
- stabilized autoconf/automake support initiated by Mark
(thanks a million
  times). As a side effect, the doc (man and info pages)
builds with a
  simple "make -f Makefile.cvs" at tarball generation time
- docbook-utils.dsl is now used as the default style sheet.
  It's like cygnus-common.dsl in the old docbook-tools, but
with the
  following advantages:
  o you can use your own customized stylesheet if you don't
like this one
  o your stylesheet does not need rely on HTML and PRINT
entities
  o you can use Norm's stuff "out of the box"
- new sgmldiff script
  (useful to see if a translation of a docbook file respects
the markup)

New package: perl-SGMLSpm 1.03ii

Every package has been made conformant to the LSB proposal
for SGML/XML

2) Kown problems
----------------

Jadetex 2.20 seems to require to update "hyperref" package
on old distros. I'm still investigating this with Sebastian
Rahtz' help. In the meantime, both jadetex 2.7 and jadetex
2.20 are provided.

Those new packages are only for i386 and ppc architectures
at the time being, and only for Linux RPM-based systems with
a RedHat-compatible directory tree structure. They rebuild
easily on other platforms (they auto-detect the directory
tree, they are linked statically, etc...), so please rebuild
them and send them to distributions maintainers if you have
the time to do that. For example, Caldera packages are
already available on Caldera's FTP mirrors.

The psgml binary package for i386 is a bit outdated. It
shouldn't change a lot of things. Any volunteer please
rebuild it on an intel machine with RedHat-compatible
directory tree.

3) Miscellaneous
----------------

Not done yet: Mark Johnson's proposal to support XML in
psgml
              all that is in the TODO list

If you would like to participate to the development of the
docbook-utils package, please subscribe to
docbook-utils@bazar.conectiva.com.br (there's another list
for the development of the DocBook-tools distribution).

--
 Éric Bischoff   -   mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr
                                           \^o~_.

* Re: docbook2* vs db2*
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 ` Mark Galassi
From: Mark Galassi @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

    David> Is there any reason why all of a sudden the tools are using
    David> docbook2* instead of db2*? Wouldn't it be *much* easier if
    David> it remained db2* so that people who have been using the DB
    David> Tools for a long time will understand how to use the new
    David> set of tools 'out of the box'?

    David> Did I miss a thread about this already?

Dude, you missed a thread in which I asked people if they would like
such a change, which had been suggested.  I'll privately mail you the
thread.

* Re: docbook2* vs db2*
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David C. Mason, docbook-tools-discuss

"David C. Mason" wrote:

> Is there any reason why all of a sudden the tools are using docbook2*
> instead of db2*?

Yes:
- confusion and possible conflicts with IBM's DB2
- if you want a really short name, use "jw" (Jade Wrapper).
- if you want a name that is "speaking", use "docbook2*"
- if you really miss the old name, you can always wrap it in
your own shell script
- with Tab auto-completion, having an explicit name isn't
really a problem

jw foo.docbook == docbook2html foo.docbook
jw -b ps foo.docbook == docbook2ps foo.docbook
etc...

> Wouldn't it be *much* easier if it remained db2* so
> that people who have been using the DB Tools for a long time will
> understand how to use the new set of tools 'out of the box'?

Well, with such an explanation, it shouldn't be *too*
difficult to adapt ;-).

> Did I miss a thread about this already?

No, you didn't.

If there is really strong popular pressure for db2* names,
we can move back, but having both docbook2* and db2* would
be bloating /usr/bin, according to me.

From: Mark Galassi @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

    David> Thanks - I have been traveling. By the way, here was my
    David> reply to the thread which I sent to Mark privately:

    David> I understand the database connection and the idea that you
    David> can alias, tab complete, or rename even... but I am
    David> thinking of the writer who, may not be very Linux/UNIX
    David> savvy who has finally learned DB Tools and now finds that
    David> db2html does nothing. Its a small learning curve yes - but
    David> it *is* usability.... and that concerns me as I am one of
    David> those people who have to answer that question over and over
    David> again.

I kind of agree with you, which is why I plan for it to be an
extremely slow phase-out of the old names.

I guess that as long as we find packages in remote places that still
directly invoke db2html we will continue to carry the old script
names.

I am now beginning to work on automake support for docbook, which
would make things a lot easier.

* Re: docbook2* vs db2*
@ 2000-12-27  6:36   ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Galassi; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

Mark Galassi wrote:

>     David> Is there any reason why all of a sudden the tools are using
>     David> docbook2* instead of db2*? Wouldn't it be *much* easier if
>     David> it remained db2* so that people who have been using the DB
>     David> Tools for a long time will understand how to use the new
>     David> set of tools 'out of the box'?
>
>     David> Did I miss a thread about this already?
>
> Dude, you missed a thread in which I asked people if they would like
> such a change, which had been suggested.  I'll privately mail you the
> thread.

Oopss... So did I then ;-)

--
 Éric Bischoff   -   mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr
                                           \^o~_.
     .~.                           ______  /( __ )
     /V\         Toys story         \__  \/  (  V
   //   \\                            \__| (__=v
  /(     )\                        |\___/     )
    ^^-^^                           \_____(  )
     Tux                        Konqui     \__=v

* docbook2* vs db2*
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 David C. Mason
From: David C. Mason @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

Is there any reason why all of a sudden the tools are using docbook2*
instead of db2*? Wouldn't it be *much* easier if it remained db2* so
that people who have been using the DB Tools for a long time will
understand how to use the new set of tools 'out of the box'?

Did I miss a thread about this already?

Dave
--

David Mason
Red Hat Advanced Development Labs

* Re: docbook2* vs db2*
@ 2000-12-27  6:36   ` David C. Mason
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: David C. Mason @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

Mark Galassi <rosalia@galassi.org> writes:

> Dude, you missed a thread in which I asked people if they would like
> such a change, which had been suggested.  I'll privately mail you the
> thread.

Thanks - I have been traveling. By the way, here was my reply to the
thread which I sent to Mark privately:

I understand the database connection and the idea that you can alias,
tab complete, or rename even... but I am thinking of the writer who,
may not be very Linux/UNIX savvy who has finally learned DB Tools and
now finds that db2html does nothing. Its a small learning curve yes -
but it *is* usability.... and that concerns me as I am one of those
people who have to answer that question over and over again.

Oh, another thing. There have been some developers who insist on
having the docs build with the source... "what is db2html?" being the
questions asked most often.... these developers probably do not follow
DB Tools too closely and as long as their db2html works they will
expect everyone who downloads their sources to as well... another
source of problems.

Just some thoughts on it.

Dave

From: Eric Bischoff @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David C. Mason; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

"David C. Mason" wrote:

> Mark Galassi <rosalia@galassi.org> writes:
>
> > Dude, you missed a thread in which I asked people if they would like
> > such a change, which had been suggested.  I'll privately mail you the
> > thread.
>
> Thanks - I have been traveling. By the way, here was my reply to the
> thread which I sent to Mark privately:
>
> I understand the database connection and the idea that you can alias,
> tab complete, or rename even... but I am thinking of the writer who,
> may not be very Linux/UNIX savvy who has finally learned DB Tools and
> now finds that db2html does nothing. Its a small learning curve yes -
> but it *is* usability.... and that concerns me as I am one of those
> people who have to answer that question over and over again.

This kind of guy would be more at ease with an explict name,
probably.

And to be very honest, the DocBook-tools aren't really for a
guy allergical to the command line yet. We need an IDE.

> Oh, another thing. There have been some developers who insist on
> having the docs build with the source... "what is db2html?" being the

I added man pages to the DocBook utils. Try "man
docbook2html". BTW we could put them online, technically
they are docbook refentries, so we could generate HTML
easily out of them.

Regarding the crash-course, I had the same idea, but it's a
*bad* idea to bundle it into the docbook-utils package. Just
because the crash-course explains you how to get this
package and install it. So if you bundle it, it becomes a
chicken-and-egg problem.

> questions asked most often.... these developers probably do not follow
> DB Tools too closely and as long as their db2html works they will
> expect everyone who downloads their sources to as well... another
> source of problems.

A good entry for a FAQ, according to me.

> Just some thoughts on it.

You're perfectly right.

--

@ 2000-12-27  6:36 Gregory Leblanc