public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* Re: ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com:/pub/docbook-tools/README
@ 2000-10-05  8:37   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-10-05  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

I never got any response to this, and it seems the issues I raised were
not addressed either. :-(

Do you still maintain this package?

Gerald

@ 2000-10-05 10:51     ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2000-10-05 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

/ Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at> was heard to say:
| Do you still maintain this package?

I never maintained the RPMs, though I am the "upstream maintainer," I
suppose, for some of the things contained within it.

Sources for what parts? The stylesheets are on http://nwalsh.com/docbook/

?

?

| > o I failed to find documentation on how to install all this, that is,
| >   in which order, with which options, etc., on the web page.

Which web page?

| > o Those systems I use most of the time (Solaris, FreeBSD) do not use RPM,
| >   is there also a nice .tar.gz available which features a nice configure
| >   script?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <norm@berkshire.net>  | Temptation laughs at the fool who

@ 2000-10-07  5:00       ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-10-07  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

On 5 Oct 2000, Norman Walsh wrote:
>|> o I failed to find documentation on how to install all this, that is,
>|>   in which order, with which options, etc., on the web page.
> Which web page?

I was referring to the docbook-tools package, as it appears on the
sources.redhat.com (formerly sourceware.cygnus.com) site.

Thanks for your response!  (Hopefully someone with write access to
the web page will have a look at my remarks as well...)

Gerald

* Re: ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com:/pub/docbook-tools/README
@ 2000-10-08  2:51         ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 2000-10-08  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Norman Walsh, docbook-tools-discuss

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> > Which web page?
>
> I was referring to the docbook-tools package, as it appears on the
> sources.redhat.com (formerly sourceware.cygnus.com) site.

We did something like this for KDE
( http://i18n.kde.org/doc/install.html ) and maybe we could copy some part
of it to sources.redhat.com. Anyhow, these web pages you're referring to
seem to me quite outdated. I haven't had the time to put my nose in that
and honestly I would prefer packaging XML docbook tools before. I'm not
sure Mark has the time to do it either right now.

> Thanks for your response!  (Hopefully someone with write access to
> the web page will have a look at my remarks as well...)

Yup.

--
 Éric Bischoff   -   mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr
                                           \^o~_.

* Re: ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com:/pub/docbook-tools/README
@ 2000-10-09  6:14     ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 2000-10-09  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> Do you still maintain this package?

Current maintainers are Mark Galassi and me.

> > o The README file only mentions RPMs (s/RPMS/RPMs/, by the way) for Red
> >   Hat, and fails to mention where to obtain the actual sources.

RPMS is the standardized name for the directory holding the RPMs used by
rpm ;-) so capitalization was correct.
The actual sources are in SOURCES/, according to the same standards. In
fact it's a working copy and the real sources come from many origins
upstream, including the one Norm mentions.

Reminder: you can find all those directories in
ftp://sourceware.cgnus.com/pub/docbook-tools/new-trials .

BTW Mark: it's time they move to docware/? I think the new versions are
stable enough by now.

> > o Moreover, it refers to sourceware.cygnus instead of sources.redhat.

I just gave the above address a try and it works.

> > o What is new-trials? (I found out now, but this should go to README
> >   as well, IMO.)

Or new-trials/ moves to docware/ and becomes the official current
release ;-).

> > o I failed to find documentation on how to install all this, that is,
> >   in which order, with which options, etc., on the web page.

This was already mentioned recently here. I did such a page for KDE at
http://i18n.kde.org/doc/install.html and we should definitely adapt it
to the sourceware web pages but so far I had not the time to do that
(and I don't even know if I have the rights). So the web pages are
completly outdated. Mark, your opinion on this?

> > o Those systems I use most of the time (Solaris, FreeBSD) do not use RPM,
> >   is there also a nice .tar.gz available which features a nice configure
> >   script?

Each package now (since last week) comes with its individal makefile as
a patch. Not all already use configure, but Mark convinced me to do that
too. Why are these Makefiles patches? Because upstream most of this
stuff is not unix-specific and works for Windows as well.

I'm currently doing a tgz package for slackware with a slackware guy. So
it's likely we will have both tgz and RPM - if he doesn't resign first
;-). I don't know if this tgz package will adapt to other
non-software-package-aware unices like FreeBSD and Solaris.

--
Éric Bischoff  -  Documentation and Localization
Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH - Linux for eBusiness

* Re: ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com:/pub/docbook-tools/README
@ 2000-12-27  6:36   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

?

| > o I failed to find documentation on how to install all this, that is,
| >   in which order, with which options, etc., on the web page.

Which web page?

| > o Those systems I use most of the time (Solaris, FreeBSD) do not use RPM,
| >   is there also a nice .tar.gz available which features a nice configure
| >   script?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--

@ 2000-12-27  6:36 Gerald Pfeifer

From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

@ 2000-12-27  6:36       ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Norman Walsh, docbook-tools-discuss

@ 2000-12-27  6:36   ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

@ 2000-12-27  6:36 Gregory Leblanc
From: Gregory Leblanc @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eric Bischoff'; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

I'd have to go against this recommendation, for now.  I've had a couple of
half hour segments to work on these in the past couple of weeks, and as of
right now, I don't have a complete set of binary RPMs.  I've taken a look
into the spec files, and they're not taking advantage of any of the macros
that are available for directories (allowing for both FHS compliant and non
FHS compliant distributions to use the same src.rpm).  I've not the time to
fix them right now, but I hope to get around to it in the next few weeks.
	Greg

* RE: ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com:/pub/docbook-tools/README
@ 2000-10-09  9:52 ` Gregory Leblanc
From: Gregory Leblanc @ 2000-10-09  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eric Bischoff'; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss