public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
From: Wookey <wookey@aleph1.co.uk>
To: "Edward C. Bailey" <ed@redhat.com>
Cc: docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: Docbook in Red Hat 7.1
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:26:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Tue 24 Apr, Edward C. Bailey wrote:
>  Using collateindex.pl seems to be non-trivial.

> It's not that bad, really.  Basically you run your SGML through jade once
> to get an HTML index file; then you run collateindex.pl against this,
> creating a DocBook index.  Finally, you run your SGML (including the
> newly-generated index) through jade one last time.

Do you know if this/the new set of files/tools works properly for PDF index
generation?

I posted here a while back about how I can generate a perfectly good SGML
index file using collateindex, and that db2html does a fine job of then
generating an html book with an index.

But if I try to do the same for PDF the final PDF index only has some 30% of
the references filled out, and most of those seem to be wrong. No-one had any
suggestions as to what might be going wrong and my understanding of the
process is too poor to know what to fiddle with. Doing a small (few pages)
PDF file seemed to work OK, but my full (150 pages) book suffers the above
problem, so right now it is annoyingly indexless.

I don't know if I should be looking at what jade does or what jadetex does to
get to the bottom of this.

I have two different methods of generating the PDF version - both of which
suffer the above problem.

In either case start with:
jade -c $CATALOG -t sgml -V html-index -ihtml -d ${DB_STYLESHEET} book
perl ./collateindex.pl -s Symbols -t Index -g -i index -o genindex.sgm HTML.index

(following this with
 jade -c $CATALOG -t sgml -ihtml -d ${DB_STYLESHEET} book
 produces nicely-indexed HTML)

Then do either:
1) jade -t tex -d ${DB_STYLESHEET} -o ${TMPFN}.tex book
 pdfjadetex $TMPFN
 pdfjadetex $TMPFN
 pdfjadetex $TMPFN

2) jade -t tex -d ${DB_STYLESHEET} -o ${TMPFN}.tex book
 jadetex ${TMPFN}.tex
 jadetex ${TMPFN}.tex
 jadetex ${TMPFN}.tex
dvips -o guide.ps book.dvi
ps2pdf book.ps

this second method has the advantage that it puts the pictures in. version 1
ought to but gives an error saying 'unrecognised format .eps'.

Can anyone give me a clue about how to fix/diagnose the index problem (or how
to get pdfjadtex to put the pictures in).

thanx

Wookey
--
Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel (00 44) 1223 811679