public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* Red Hat sgml-tools vs. DocBook
@ 2001-04-22 13:57 Peter Toft
From: Peter Toft @ 2001-04-22 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss; +Cc: esr, Greg Hankins, Cees de Groot

Friends

I don't remember history here - first there were the
dinos, then came man, after that the computer ...

No really - On my Red Hat 7.0 box I have an RPM-package
sgml-tools as well as my faithful DocBook tools. It
seems that they originate from two SGML-branches or
alike (they are not connected).

The sgml-tools package contains (more files than):
/usr/bin/rtf2rtf
/usr/bin/sgml2html
/usr/bin/sgml2info
/usr/bin/sgml2latex
/usr/bin/sgml2lyx
/usr/bin/sgml2rtf
/usr/bin/sgml2txt
/usr/bin/sgmlcheck
/usr/bin/sgmlpre
/usr/bin/sgmlsasp
/usr/bin/sgmltools.v1
/usr/lib/entity-map
/usr/lib/entity-map/0.1.0
/usr/lib/sgml-tools/dtd
/usr/lib/sgml-tools/dtd/catalog
/usr/lib/sgml-tools/dtd/common
/usr/lib/sgml-tools/dtd/deprec96
/usr/lib/sgml-tools/dtd/html32.dtd
/usr/lib/sgml-tools/dtd/isoent
/usr/lib/sgml-tools/dtd/linuxdoc.dtd
/usr/lib/sgml-tools/dtd/linuxdoc96.dtd
/usr/lib/sgml-tools/dtd/linuxdoc97.dtd
/usr/lib/sgml-tools/dtd/qwertz.dtd

From what I can read the sgml-tools are not the same as
DocBook, but it seems to be close to it. What happened?
Or is it just be who thinks that the two things are
related :-)

My followup main-question regards the sgml2latex -
anyone who knows whether a DocBook->Latex converter
exists? I really like to have one, since making books
is a problem. The HTML-output is a web-format - no good
for printing. The print-formats PS/PDF are not great in
two-column format (e.g. tabels suck), hence it sure
would be great to do DocBook->Latex and hack the Latex
code the final step to something which could be
printed.

I guess that I will start making a "db2latex" at some
point, if it does not exist... and should it be made
from sgml2latex?

Best

--
Peter Toft, Ph.D. [pto@sslug.dk] http://www.sslug.dk/~pto

Linux!, because reboots are only for *kernel* upgrades!
                                ---  Sid Young

* Re: Red Hat sgml-tools vs. DocBook
@ 2001-04-22 14:07 ` Hugo van der Kooij
From: Hugo van der Kooij @ 2001-04-22 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss; +Cc: Cees de Groot

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Peter Toft wrote:

> I don't remember history here - first there were the
> dinos, then came man, after that the computer ...
>
> No really - On my Red Hat 7.0 box I have an RPM-package
> sgml-tools as well as my faithful DocBook tools. It
> seems that they originate from two SGML-branches or
> alike (they are not connected).

The sgml-tools package (version 1) is the old set of tools to make a
linuxdoc SGML file into pretty much everything else. But it was just
restricted to that. (I guess some would call it a dino. But I just happen
to think differently about the origin of species.)

Hugo.

--
Alle email aan mij verzonden is gebonden aan de regels beschreven op mijn homepage.
All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.

    hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/

	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.